Hello There, Guest! Register

Thread Rating:
  • 1 Vote(s) - 5 Average
Humble request for advice
(01-25-2019, 05:57 PM)Alex Leif Wrote:  As Jason says, aiming for the correct PSI is the way you want to go, the only time to worry about temps is if you are constantly going way too hot in which case driving style or setup is often the problem, that is to say you can’t fix it by going away from the ideal PSI in an attempt to correct the temps.

Iirc ideal PSI in the cossie is 29 PSI.

Temps dont matter at all, unless they are too hot? So when im driving say the current porsche cars and the app shows them as too cold, it doesnt matter as long as the PSI is right?

If thats the case then the default ac tire app is kinda useless...
In AC it really does seem to be that way, not to say that is representative of real life but yeah, pretty much just ignore temps in AC. Find out what the ideal PSI is for that tyre and just correct your cold PSI so that you hit that, on every corner, for every track.

For example at Mugello, to end up with even pressures at race pace, my starting PSI is:

[PRESSURE_LF]
VALUE=19

[PRESSURE_RF]
VALUE=23

[PRESSURE_LR]
VALUE=18

[PRESSURE_RR]
VALUE=21
Thanks for the help Alex!
The app showing them as too cold seems like huge oversight since im sure im not the only one looking at the temps and thinking well better take it a bit easy since they are cold.....
(01-25-2019, 08:58 PM)Alex Leif Wrote:  Here is my current PB lap from Thursday night's race, I put on the pedal app for the video so you can see the accelerator and brake inputs, unfortunately it doesn't show the clutch input in the replay mode.

Gavin was in my mirror all race so really was a tough one, this was set on lap 5 of the race.

In the same lap Gavin set his PB which as I write is still at the top of the board:

[Image: united_kingdom.png] Gavin Ranson 02:00.387
[Image: united_kingdom.png] Alex Leif 02:00.396
[Image: lithuania.png] Justinas Jonaitis 02:00.445
[Image: hungary.png] Laszlo Tyukodi 02:00.898
[Image: italy.png] Stefano Zanella 02:01.072
[Image: germany.png] Marvin Zissy 02:01.098
[Image: finland.png] Ilari Siltanen 02:01.144
[Image: russia.png] Ilya Krivokhizhin 02:01.22
[Image: croatia.png] Jurica Slovinac 02:01.262
[Image: united_states.png] Alex Nelson 02:01.264

Alex, thank you SO MUCH for taking the time and posting this video. It is most baffling to me. If I compare it to my 2:03.7 lap, we use exactly the same gears, we have exactly the same braking and turn-in points, and, with one exception, we seem to follow quite exactly the same racing line. The point where we differ in line, you are actually mid-track on exit whilst I use more of the track to the outside. The blatant difference is that you "swim" a lot - plenty of slides and quick corrections. This, to me, indicates that you are much more at the limit than I am, BUT... all those slides and corrections should be eating tons of time. And you are over 3 seconds faster than me. Cab you please help me understand? Thanks again.
Yeah, from watching that lap it makes me think I should be "overdriving" the car more than I am and prioritize getting full on the gas sooner even if my back end starts getting away from me. I feel like I'm pretty good at recovering from slips, so this shouldn't be TOO difficult for me to attempt.

One thing I did notice is that at 1:40 the left-right you are able to eat a lot of the curbs. I completely lose traction on the wheels that I curb in this car. If there's one thing I still have not groked with setups it is suspension, which seems like where I should be tweaking to better handle curb traction. Confirm/deny?
Tutorial on how to use Autodesk Mudbox and Adobe Photoshop to make custom liveries! https://tinyurl.com/yaetz4qz
Grab my PDash Skins (an Assetto Corsa HUD app) here: https://tinyurl.com/y95ewubz
I wouldn't say temps don't matter at all in AC, for sure pressure is more important but it's also that we are limited to 1 psi increments so that always makes the biggest difference to get the right compromise with pressures. There are still some benefits getting the tires to be around their ideal temperature as well (about mid way in the working range), typically hard have a range of 75-100, narrower for softer compounds, so around that middle. Can be also personal preference i guess, if you want more grip or responsiveness, and eventually wear concerns.
Pete, if there was an easy answer to that one, then I wouldn't have such problems in other cars. As it is I can be fast in some and in others I just don't get it and like you are 3-4 seconds off the pace.

I think driving style comes into it a lot, this car happens to suit mine but some I have to try and adapt my style to the car and that is when I am slow. For example I can drive the Ruf fine, but the Porsche GT3 Cup I am multiple seconds off the pace, and pushing in it just leads to mistakes, but most people would tell you that the Ruf is harder to drive. For me it is one of the easier cars as it makes sense, and tells you when it is about to kill you by the noise of the turbo.

Regarding the curbs Russell, I don't recall changing suspension settings except for the ARB which I set to:

[ARB_FRONT]
VALUE=5

[ARB_REAR]
VALUE=0

More front ARB and less rear should make it more stable over curbs. I think the default is 3 / 1 ?
Yup, ARB adjustments knocked another half a second off my laptimes, and I was able to be more consistent. The 2.7 apparently changed the tires a bit to not last so long on the Softs, and I accidentally raced in Mediums. Apparently the softs hold, but not by much? I'll try them next race and see just how many pirouettes I can pull off without killing anyone.
Tutorial on how to use Autodesk Mudbox and Adobe Photoshop to make custom liveries! https://tinyurl.com/yaetz4qz
Grab my PDash Skins (an Assetto Corsa HUD app) here: https://tinyurl.com/y95ewubz
If I compare Alex's lap and your lap Pete he is using more of the track on entry and exit. Alex is using the curbs where as I didn't see you use them at all. Also as you say he is much closer to the limit having to correct power over steer.
Oh great, everyone give advice, now someone else will be passing me.  Alex the arb was a nice bit of advice. This car loves the mugello curbs, even more now.  Good racing to us all!