Hello There, Guest! Register

Thread Rating:
  • 1 Vote(s) - 5 Average
More one hour series for Europe in next season
Yeah, the brakes definitely take a while to get used to. But I don't think that's a reason so many ppl can't be bothered.

1hr races seem to be less popular on SRS by default. I personally don't understand why, but I guess that's just down to personal opinions
What seems to be the biggest objection is the fuel consumption. @170% and a tank of only 86L you can not go full out and finish the race with 1 stop. If you want to make a 1 stop work, you'd have to save a fair amount of fuel during the race.
At first I thought this would open up the door to different strategies, but to go out all guns blazing and stop twice won't work either - a 1hr race isn't long enough to make a 2 stop work over a 1 stop strategy.
Fuel saving and a 1 stop will (almost) always win. The downside is - racing & fuelsaving isn't very exciting. Sometimes even boring. As a result, many can't even be bothered..
There's that, also i think many people realized the series were hurting their rating, like really bad... Most of the races on the Nord ive seen were on average 10 to 15 incidents, and generally the series has been with a lot of incidents. People can't stop the car, loose it randomly, on Le Mans or Road America you can even loose it in the straight over a tiny crest, it's way too fast for its downforce level, exciting and i like to drive it but painful to actually race with.
Fair enough. I don't understand why ppl would drive this car on Nords without properly practising with it though. Nords is a completely different animal by itself.. But if you know you have to drive it with a heavily powered car, you'd want to practise. At least to figure out where your braking points lie.

With regards to downforce, I'll have to disagree. I think the car behaves really well in corners. Sure, you don't have the same downforce as a formula car for example, but still. The biggest adjustment I had to make was with regards to braking.
(02-21-2019, 12:47 PM)Dennis Ipenburg Wrote:  you can not go full out and finish the race with 1 stop. If you want to make a 1 stop work, you'd have to save a fair amount of fuel during the race.
At first I thought this would open up the door to different strategies, but to go out all guns blazing and stop twice won't work either - a 1hr race isn't long enough to make a 2 stop work over a 1 stop strategy.
Fuel saving and a 1 stop will (almost) always win. The downside is - racing & fuelsaving isn't very exciting. Sometimes even boring. As a result, many can't even be bothered..

is that why you made the 2nd stop? i thought i drove as fast as I could at least, I wasn't intentionally fuel saving... if not for all the mistakes i made so that you lapped me, i would have had at least one lap extra of fuel left in the tank by the end of the race. but maybe thats just how i drive the gtr by default.
yeah. I didn't feel like saving fuel. Unfortunately, it was boring enough as it was.
If there's enough registrations, I might still do tonight's race
Full potato (1.20.7)
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CvMcNcUx1Xw

Fuel Saving (1:22.7)

Yes it is incredibly boring to do this for one hour with this type of car, but it's going to work 95% of the time.

Of course being 2sec faster a lap would do it but you cannot maintain that full on pace for one hour, since you are loaded of fuel to begin with (+10l =0.1s more or less), you have to go with hard compound, some tyre degradation, traffic and whatnot. Fuel rate is even 200, not 170, so this more like having a 43l tank or a 86l tank that leaks half its fuel in 20min 

This is why backmarkers usually have only 1 stop as well doing that fuel economy "naturally" as they are not as often on the power (but no that won't work either being that slow Wink )
Yeah it looks like I'm driving the fuelsaving way by default then Tongue
(02-21-2019, 06:25 PM)James Blint Wrote:  Full potato (1.20.7)
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CvMcNcUx1Xw

Fuel Saving (1:22.7)

Yes it is incredibly boring to do this for one hour with this type of car, but it's going to work 95% of the time.

Of course being 2sec faster a lap would do it but you cannot maintain that full on pace for one hour, since you are loaded of fuel to begin with (+10l =0.1s more or less), you have to go with hard compound, some tyre degradation, traffic and whatnot. Fuel rate is even 200, not 170, so this more like having a 43l tank or a 86l tank that leaks half its fuel in 20min 

This is why backmarkers usually have only 1 stop as well doing that fuel economy "naturally" as they are not as often on the power (but no that won't work either being that slow Wink )

Can't believe you took that last corner in 3rd gear. 
Do you remember how much fuel you consume per lap on laguna seca? I manage to get it down to 4l/lap, and lap either high 22's or 23 lows
(02-22-2019, 07:19 AM)Dennis Ipenburg Wrote:  Can't believe you took that last corner in 3rd gear. 
Do you remember how much fuel you consume per lap on laguna seca? I manage to get it down to 4l/lap, and lap either high 22's or 23 lows

Using the torque and mgu, instead of combustion power, on this track you cannot run out of electric so you can do this a lot. From i what i recall yes i think you need to stay under 4l per lap to make it one stop? This race (S.America champ) i saved too much shortshifting and i think coasting even earlier before the hard braking zones is maybe more efficient.
I was doing exactly 4l/lap and I came short 0.2l in the end.
In a weird way, I enjoyed the fuel saving. I am really curious though, how I will hold up my fuel saving tactics when I'm being pushed in a close battle