Hello There, Guest! Register

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Penalty system
How does penalty system works?
I get 6 seconds/slow down to 35 km/h penalty for off track. Ok so I slow down to serve it, suddenly timer resets from 1 to 6, ok I slow down even more to less than 35 km/h and penalty is still not served! WTF?! After my second slowdown to less than 35 km/h I was finally free but I lost 2 positions because of it and most importantly win. In advance, I had 8 second lead before this penalty and 4 loss after so I've lost 12 seconds. It's like I served 2 penalties for one offtrack.
So yeah, again. How does it work and am I victim of a bug or something?
Presumably you're using AC, and the slowdowns in SRS are just the ones that are set by AC. If you slightly touch the gas, even in neutral or even if slowing down, the count down will reset and you have to start over. Slowing down to 35 should clear the penalty so you probably didn't slow down enough the first time.
(01-20-2019, 11:06 PM)Martin Smith Wrote:  Presumably you're using AC, and the slowdowns in SRS are just the ones that are set by AC. If you slightly touch the gas, even in neutral or even if slowing down, the count down will reset and you have to start over. Slowing down to 35 should clear the penalty so you probably didn't slow down enough the first time.
Well that's broken af. Also about 35 km/h, I checked replay and I had 35 on incar dash but 36 on Side Kick, that says all... Thanks for explanation. At least now I'll know that I have to keep my feet away from gas pedal.
Yeah, slowdowns in AC are weird. And annoying af, especially when it goes to 0 seconds left, you hit the gas and get 5/6/10... New ones. Or when you go off track, get slowdown, serve it, and pick up new one on your way back to the track. IMO it would be much better if it counted everything below, for example 50% gas/average speed on that part of track, or that you have to have certain plus delta. Nothing much SRS can do. At least not without some wizardy, AFAIK. Best to test track and see where are slowdowns strict and where are a bit looser. You can also accumulate them. Sometimes (maybe always, I haven't really ever tested it), if you get two or three in a row (without serving them), you'll get just time penalty, with no option of slowing down to 35. You can imagine what happenes to your race if you can't touch gas for 20-30 seconds. With that said, if you get 2 or 3 in a row, you aren't having the best race anyway Big Grin
(01-20-2019, 11:13 PM)Kacper Smirnow Wrote:  
(01-20-2019, 11:06 PM)Martin Smith Wrote:  Presumably you're using AC, and the slowdowns in SRS are just the ones that are set by AC. If you slightly touch the gas, even in neutral or even if slowing down, the count down will reset and you have to start over. Slowing down to 35 should clear the penalty so you probably didn't slow down enough the first time.
Well that's broken af. Also about 35 km/h, I checked replay and I had 35 on incar dash but 36 on Side Kick, that says all... Thanks for explanation. At least now I'll know that I have to keep my feet away from gas pedal.

No it's not  broken. If it did not reset when you touch the gas then there would be no penalty, because only rarely you find yourself in a situation that you want be off gas for less than 6 seconds (or 10 seconds, or whatever the penalty is) total for the reminder of the lap.
Frenzy Conducive "Benzine Wagons" Being "Tuned-Up" By Mechanicians
I consider it a bug that they will never fix that they do not show the time remaining to a tenth of a second. That's why you still have to stay off the gas even when it says "0"... because it should be "0.9" and count down to "0.0" before you can accelerate again. Sometimes it is faster to just lift for the amount of time, while other times it's better to brake all the way below 35. Depends on the track. And as someone above mentioned, sometimes the <35 isn't an option.

I fell victim to Paul Riccard's final turn yesterday. Went a bit wide on that last turn, got a 6 second penalty, and didn't realize it until I got too close to the start/finish and got DQed with only 5 minutes left in the race.  And I'm not alone...  in the next race on that track I think I saw 3 or 4 people succumb to the same DQ.

Frankly the penalty system in AC is horrible. The only time I get served penalties is when I go off track in a situation where I'm actually losing time anyway (see above), or I've been punted off the track, usually at a chicane, by another driver and I end up "cutting" even though, again, I have actually lost time. And then to serve the penalty, I find myself doing really stupid shit that endangers myself and others to get the giant red text to go away as fast as possible.

I am not aware of a better solution that doesn't require a bunch of additional client and server app use, so we are basically stuck with this. I guess basically we just have to be careful, and pay attention to the text going all the way away before resuming our race. And then try to keep a cool head when you do finally get sorted.
Tutorial on how to use Autodesk Mudbox and Adobe Photoshop to make custom liveries! https://tinyurl.com/yaetz4qz
Grab my PDash Skins (an Assetto Corsa HUD app) here: https://tinyurl.com/y95ewubz
(01-21-2019, 05:38 AM)Russell Sobie Wrote:  I consider it a bug that they will never fix that they do not show the time remaining to a tenth of a second.
Yes this one is a bit annoying. If fractions were to hard for the programmers ;-), they could at least round up so that 0 is a clear "go". On the other hand, one can learn that dissapearance of the banner is a "go"
Frenzy Conducive "Benzine Wagons" Being "Tuned-Up" By Mechanicians
I think most of us learned this the hard way. Same for start line penalties, running out of fuel, incidents after the finish line, and so on.

So on average we've all benefited from other people making these mistakes as much as we've lost by making the mistake ourselves. So it all comes out in the wash.

Just learn and move on.
i'm wondering for the next race with the rs01 on lemans, when you go on the side strip of the straight that you will get a penalty. When hotlapping your lap isn't countedwhen you don't stay in the middle lanes.
Lars Mars
Gentdrivers Team
Yeah, if it's not counted in practice, it's slowdown in race. I'll check it out tomorrow to be sure, haven't driven LM in a long time.