Hello There, Guest! Register

Thread Rating:
  • 1 Vote(s) - 5 Average
Shaders Lights Patch utilization in races
The whole Shaders Lights Patch (hereafter SLP) thing is getting pretty good. There's full-blown night racing, with a full 24h day/night cycle on the way (and it looks good). They've also just patched in a cooldown lap for AI racing, so I don't think it's unreasonable that rolling starts could be a thing (having it work online is another matter, but again, I don't think it's unreasonable). Either way, I'm focusing on the day/night cycle here.

I would love to see some SLP-specific races going down on SRS. I understand not everyone can run it, so it's important for vanilla races to remain (and be the majority), but imagine monster 2.4 hour endurance events with the full 24h cycle condensed into it for those who can. Ring, Daytona, Le Mans... so many possibilities. 

You really need Content Manager for the best ease of use, but I believe it is possible to use the SLP without it. As long as the SRS race defines the right times/weather settings, it should be easy to simply download and unzip the SLP like any other car or track mod you'd download for use in specific SRS events. Vanilla races would absolutely remain, and definitely be the majority, but using the SLP for big endurance events, or simply night/evening-night transition races, would be fantastic.

[Image: flibbydoodah_zpsmckuobh1.png]
(alternatively the Shaders Lights Patch text could be embedded in the image, just a concept)

SRS needs to run SOL when it's 100% ready to go multiplayer wise.
(01-13-2019, 04:19 PM)Ethan Dean Wrote:  The whole Shaders Lights Patch (hereafter SLP) thing is getting pretty good. There's full-blown night racing, with a full 24h day/night cycle on the way (and it looks good). They've also just patched in a cooldown lap for AI racing, so I don't think it's unreasonable that rolling starts could be a thing (having it work online is another matter, but again, I don't think it's unreasonable). Either way, I'm focusing on the day/night cycle here.

I would love to see some SLP-specific races going down on SRS. I understand not everyone can run it, so it's important for vanilla races to remain (and be the majority), but imagine monster 2.4 hour endurance events with the full 24h cycle condensed into it for those who can. Ring, Daytona, Le Mans... so many possibilities. 

You really need Content Manager for the best ease of use, but I believe it is possible to use the SLP without it. As long as the SRS race defines the right times/weather settings, it should be easy to simply download and unzip the SLP like any other car or track mod you'd download for use in specific SRS events. Vanilla races would absolutely remain, and definitely be the majority, but using the SLP for big endurance events, or simply night/evening-night transition races, would be fantastic.
I would love it, there might be a little problem about versions: especially for SLP there are lots of regular updates, the bigget difficulty would be making sure that everybody's version is the same.
This could be fixed by having a fixed version to use for SRS races:
Content Manager has a mod manager inside so it shouldn't be a problem switching between the personal, recently updated version (e.g. v0.1.25-preview46), to the fixed one for SRS racing (e.g. v0.1.25-preview36); maybe updated every 1-2 months to avoid people downloading frequently updates
How is SLP/SOL with the FPS?
And if SRS implements either it really needs to start doing the checksum checks before you try to join the server so its not another component that can go wrong.
(02-06-2019, 02:26 PM)Fredrik Söderstedt Wrote:  How is SLP/SOL with the FPS?
And if SRS implements either it really needs to start doing the checksum checks before you try to join the server so its not another component that can go wrong.

I don't have an high end pc (I5 6400 and Radeon 380 4GB) and i get 60 fps with medium-high settings using SLP/SOL, i've also raced at night with 20 cars and i didn't have problems running it
Wouldn't it be easier to just have servers with on going clock, as in the actual hours the races take place? And that would be up to people to use SLP/SOL or not. I know it might be a disadvantage for those who run it as im sure we are slower at night, but i wouldn't mind.
(02-08-2019, 05:15 PM)James Blint Wrote:  Wouldn't it be easier to just have servers with on going clock, as in the actual hours the races take place? And that would be up to people to use SLP/SOL or not. I know it might be a disadvantage for those who run it as im sure we are slower at night, but i wouldn't mind.
Maybe 20 minutes race could have it optional and 1 hour race have mandatory SLP/SOL to race with day/night cycle (like 30x time advance).
Obviously it would be better having a poll to know the preferences and some test sessions to see if it works.
I have seen some folks putting up test servers with Sol 1.x and the latest SLP, and from what I've seen, the biggest obstacle so far is that the AC server won't advance its own in-game time-of-day clock past 18:00 (the vanilla game's limit). So you can start your practice at 10:00 and watch the beautiful effects of the ToD going from 10:00 to 18:00, but then it just stops at 18:00. They'll need to figure out how to override some internal server behavior if they want to host online night races.
⌈ zerøbandwidth autosports ⌋
https://twitch.tv/zer0bandwidth
https://youtube.com/c/zerobandwidth
(02-12-2019, 02:18 AM)Pasha Paterson Wrote:  I have seen some folks putting up test servers with Sol 1.x and the latest SLP, and from what I've seen, the biggest obstacle so far is that the AC server won't advance its own in-game time-of-day clock past 18:00 (the vanilla game's limit). So you can start your practice at 10:00 and watch the beautiful effects of the ToD going from 10:00 to 18:00, but then it just stops at 18:00. They'll need to figure out how to override some internal server behavior if they want to host online night races.

I might be wrong but multiplayer support is still WIP for SOL, they should do something like single player races where the ToD goes from 00:00 to 23:59
if you could implement the mod on the server for night racing it would be great, good post
Tongue