Hello There, Guest! Register

Thread Rating:
  • 1 Vote(s) - 1 Average
Reviewers for first corners
Video 
Hello fellow simracers,
so since last week I have been racing in SRS and I have to say I have really enjoyed it, but I'm concerned about the behaviour of the racers in the first corners of the race, which honestly, I find atrocious. Out of the last five races, in server 1, I have found myself dead last in three of them:
Not saying I'm the perfect driver who never makes mistakes, I do, but I think a driver has to be extra cautious on first lap, after first lap I see the incidents more as incidents and least as "what the f are you doing?". And it is not like in the another 2 races, when I didnt find myself last, were clean, it just happened that I was lucky to not get bowled. 

With this in mind I think that SRS should trust some people in every race (maybe the one with most rating?) to have the responsability of seeing the replay of the first corners after the race, and making a quick list of people not respecting the start. This would be made in like 3 minutes and I think it would make people to take it in a more relaxed way when they start to see the penalties coming.
Best regards.
A few points to go over here. I kind of like the idea, but I also have a knack for poking holes in good ideas.
  • Drivers with the highest rating wouldn't necessarily be "trusted" drivers. It's just a point system based on obscure and mysterious math that only one man knows the full meaning of. For the most part it means "Driver has been here a long time and has avoided getting banned and typically crosses the finish line in the top 10".
  • Said man is the same one that would have to hand pick the list of drivers for your idea.
  • He's not likely to bother taking the time to vet folks for the job.
  • If he did, there would inevitably be drama because Driver A got picked to be a reviewer, but Driver B did not.
  • Never mind the fact that once the "instant reports" started rolling in, there would be drama due to the results. Disagreements between reviewers, certain drivers' behaviors being ignored by certain reveiwers... etc..
The dictatorship we have currently pretty much prevents all of the above.

Welcome to SRS! And welcome to the SRS forums, where likely only about 10% of SRS members actually read the posts... and those are the folks that you don't usually have to worry about in turn 1. Big Grin
Tutorial on how to use Autodesk Mudbox and Adobe Photoshop to make custom liveries! https://tinyurl.com/yaetz4qz
Grab my PDash Skins (an Assetto Corsa HUD app) here: https://tinyurl.com/y95ewubz
I had a similar idea that would be very fair and streamlined but would require a lot of programming.

For any incident they're involved in, each driver is asked to accept responsibility or not at the end of the race. If one or both drivers accept responsibility they get the incident point and no further action is required.

But if neither accept responsibility, then the incident gets judged by at least two random drivers from the same race. These random players would be selected from those who had incidents. So if you had zero incidents you wouldn't have to review other incidents. If you had 10 incidents, you'd have to review up to 10 other incidents before you could race again. Apart from assigning responsibility more fairly, it would be an extra incentive to avoid incidents.

Then when these random players identify who was to blame for an incident, that driver gets 2 incident points (for having refused responsibility in the first place).

Flaws, Russell? Big Grin
Hah... yeah, a few, unfortunately. Since you asked... Wink
  • Unclear how chosen drivers would review the footage and report their findings. Do they have to watch the replay right after the race is over? What if they didn't record the replay? Do they have to go to the SRS website and fill out a form made available to them indicating that they are required to review an incident? And then get to view what... some automated replay created by SRSTV and made available for download? The logistics!
  • Random drivers may or may not know race craft well enough to be valid judges of incidents elsewhere on the track. Or maybe they just have really bad opinions about what constitutes a divebomb or the like.
  • Besides, drivers that have incidents might not be the best judges anyway... wouldn't you want your judges to have zero incidents? Wink
  • There are lots of ways this system could break down under drivers with intentions in bad faith. Playing favorites in reviews involving buddies, intentionally penalizing people you have had problems with in the passed, even if they weren't actually at fault THIS time, etc..
So yeah. It has some issues. The only better system I've seen than SRS's protest form method is in some leagues one or two drivers sit out a race and act as racing stewards. You kind of have to have full buy in on such a system, which works well for organized leagues of 10-50 people or so, but the second it gets into the hundreds of participants, dirt simple is the way you kind of have to go. And have it be run by dictatorship (which is what we have here).
Tutorial on how to use Autodesk Mudbox and Adobe Photoshop to make custom liveries! https://tinyurl.com/yaetz4qz
Grab my PDash Skins (an Assetto Corsa HUD app) here: https://tinyurl.com/y95ewubz
This is a thing that we will never change, starts on SRS, greedy people in turn 1, trying to win the race or some positions already there... this will never change.

Simple thing what everyone can do, is to check the replay after the race and report incidents you want and report it via SRS protest form, you dont need to be involved in the incident. So everyone who does not like these starts etc., can do so. That's pretty much what you want, or?
NEVER GIVE UP!
(12-15-2018, 10:28 PM)Russell Sobie Wrote:  Hah... yeah, a few, unfortunately. Since you asked... Wink
  • Unclear how chosen drivers would review the footage and report their findings. Do they have to watch the replay right after the race is over? What if they didn't record the replay? Do they have to go to the SRS website and fill out a form made available to them indicating that they are required to review an incident? And then get to view what... some automated replay created by SRSTV and made available for download? The logistics!
  • Random drivers may or may not know race craft well enough to be valid judges of incidents elsewhere on the track. Or maybe they just have really bad opinions about what constitutes a divebomb or the like.
  • Besides, drivers that have incidents might not be the best judges anyway... wouldn't you want your judges to have zero incidents? Wink
  • There are lots of ways this system could break down under drivers with intentions in bad faith. Playing favorites in reviews involving buddies, intentionally penalizing people you have had problems with in the passed, even if they weren't actually at fault THIS time, etc..
So yeah. It has some issues. The only better system I've seen than SRS's protest form method is in some leagues one or two drivers sit out a race and act as racing stewards. You kind of have to have full buy in on such a system, which works well for organized leagues of 10-50 people or so, but the second it gets into the hundreds of participants, dirt simple is the way you kind of have to go. And have it be run by dictatorship (which is what we have here).

[*]Well yes, I said it would be complicated to implement. Programming, logistics, whatever.
[*]There's a lot of agreement about who's responsible in racing incidents, the chance of getting 2 or more drivers who are all wrong is pretty slim. Can happen, sure, but would be rare.
[*]Race judgement and judgement after the fact are pretty different. No red mist, no defensive reasoning, no self-validation involved.
[*]Since reviewers would be random you'd have to have a lot of friends in the race to allow you to hit people in bad faith and expect to get away with it. Penalizing people you hate, sure but again it would take 2 or more random people to agree on the culprit, so a bit of a safeguard there

Still exponentially better than what we have now, discounting for all the back end work it would involve. Just admit my idea is perfect, alright?
The question is... What is the prize if someone thinks of an idea that Squire Russell Sobie-san can't poke holes into Big Grin
Here's another idea, much simpler too - a vetting process.

The way it would work is nobody is allowed to race any series until they complete a Tatuus race at Monza with 0 incidents, and finish top 10. Or maybe top 5. The race would need at least 20 entrants.

Start implementing it for all new accounts, then if the system works start forcing existing users to complete the test before a certain date. Make it a different deadline for different users because people tend to wait until the last moment to do anything, which would flood the servers if the deadline were the same for everyone.

That way it makes sure all drivers are fair and sensible and never bump others, and we can all hold hands an sing songs of happiness.

Don't even bother finding holes in this perfect idea Russell.
[Image: ydjrNWq.png]