Hello There, Guest! Register

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Update: COMPLETED! Initial planning of new Sim Rig/TV combo... any machining experts?
(11-21-2018, 07:43 AM)Martin Smith Wrote:  There you go, some kind of triangulation at the base of the posts would be essential and would reduce most of the flex to a negligible amount. The only remaining concern would be the rigidity of the top cross bar, which could twist around its two mounting points. Hard to say if that would end up being a problem or not. Uncharted waters here I think. Perhaps have a plan B if you build it, in which you add one more cam lock on each side so the top can't rotate (leading to the wheel moving up and down).

C-channel can be 'heavy duty' but that doesn't mean it's rigid. Consider that a much beefier version of what you're showing is used as a twist-beam for the rear suspensions on many cars!

The tv stand is cut and has been initially fitted together to confirm that the idea of everything is sound. Even without triangulation, the 4 hole angle brackets make this thing very stable. I am going to double up by putting 4 hole brackets on the back side as well. It IS going to be holding a rather large tv on it (55 lbs.). I just realized in the photo we put the posts on backwards.... or towards the wrong way on the legs. Doesn't matter without the TV tho!

[Image: A4mW4Ttl.jpg]

I think I'm on plan J at this point for the articulation/modularity of the wheel mount post. Having the wheel pivot like I have in the first video was abandoned a few days ago. Now I've been looking at lifting the wheel and it's cross post off the top, or like Michael's idea of having it swing outward. Anything that isn't a single point that can be rotated upon, as you point out.

Now that I have a few pieces of the strut cut (for the tv stand) I'm going to experiment with different solutions to see if I can get the wheel on a post that will be stable yet easy to get out of the way. If I can't figure it out in the next three weeks, I'll probably just come up with a way to simply slide the entire wheel/pedal part out from under the TV when not in use. Hell, I might be able to just put easy glide leveler feet on the damned thing and it'll slide on my carpet effortlessly... I might even try that experiment first, now that I think of it. Start with a working wheel stand, and then modify it as I come up with different solutions to get just the wheel out of the way.

(11-21-2018, 06:20 PM)Neil de Guzman Wrote:  Looks nice mate! Especially without wires... I tried some scrap wood in the past to pull off something like this. Everything looks good on paper until wires ruin everything. One thing you can consider is building a rig against the wall, but instead of attacking the wheel mount, just try to make the seat removable, preferably with wheels as dual purpose office chair style, moving around seat 'round the room/house... Everything stays in place against the wall, wheel, monitor, everything.

The best part about channel strut is the channel. In theory, most every cable coming out of the TV or the wheel/pedals can be fitted into a channel and zip tied to a slot every few inches. Then I can buy channel fill material to finish it off.

The wheel is the only thing that will be in the way of the display. Part of my design calls for hooking my Aeron Hermin-Miller chair in there (way more comfy than any car seat I've ever been in), so that's easily removed. I'm also heavily constrained by the space. The wall behind where this is going is in front of a fireplace, so wall mounting anything isn't possible. Eventually I'll move out of my apartment into more square footage, and I'll just buy a second 65" tv or bezel-less triple monitors and make a proper rig and put it in a man-cave or something. Throw some direct drive and buttkickers on there for good measure.

For now, it's a couple of hundred bucks and cutting steel channel strut on a table saw. Big Grin
Tutorial on how to use Autodesk Mudbox and Adobe Photoshop to make custom liveries! https://tinyurl.com/yaetz4qz
Grab my PDash Skins (an Assetto Corsa HUD app) here: https://tinyurl.com/y95ewubz

Messages In This Thread
RE: Initial planning of new Sim Rig/TV combo... any machining experts? - by Russell Sobie - 11-22-2018, 02:14 AM