Hello There, Guest! Register

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Update: COMPLETED! Initial planning of new Sim Rig/TV combo... any machining experts?
Pivoting at the wheel pitch is basically a poor idea overall, unless I can ensure locking the whole thing into place, which I cannot. I changed the design to use a "sleeve" rail that would slide over the outside of the wheel's side posts, but it turns out I can only get that in 20 foot increments, at about 200 USD a pop. Sooooooo no.

This is where I am now, which (if I can get it to work) requires no special parts that I don't already have (I have two spare cam levers already):

[Image: WZEIbjH.gif]

This separates the wheelbase from the tv stand, obviously. And instead of worrying about a sliding mechanism binding up, this basically just makes it so the wheel and the bar it is mounted to just pop out of the top so I can place it on the floor. If I get this to work, I might see if there's a clever way I can pull it off and hang it to the side without obstructing the display (the whole point of this stupid thing).

Separating the wheelbase from the tv stand means I go up to 4 rails of the channel strut, which adds a bit to the price, but at this point I feel like if I don't build this thing I'll regret trying. I buy most of the fittings and a couple of short rails to experiment with the above solution today. Then I'll return the short rails and get 4x10 foot ones when I have everything physically proven. 

If I've priced this thing out correctly, it'll come to about $250 USD... which includes a special metal cutting saw for a friend's miter saw so I can cut the rail without killing anyone or burning anything down. I hope that works out well because if I've measured correctly, I'll have one 2 inch piece and one 10 inch piece left over. What's that saying? Measure 18 times, cut once?
Tutorial on how to use Autodesk Mudbox and Adobe Photoshop to make custom liveries! https://tinyurl.com/yaetz4qz
Grab my PDash Skins (an Assetto Corsa HUD app) here: https://tinyurl.com/y95ewubz

Messages In This Thread
RE: Initial planning of new Sim Rig/TV combo... any machining experts? - by Russell Sobie - 11-20-2018, 03:45 PM