Hello There, Guest! Register

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Racing with Samsung Odyssey
I'm about to buy a VR headset. From what I know most simracers use Oculus Rift or HTC Vive, but I was wondering if anyone here has had experience with Samsung Odyssey (in AC, R3E, PC2, Dirt Rally, other?) that they would be willing to share. I am leaning towards it because it has better resolution than Oculus or Vive. I tried Vive once (not in racing though) and the pixels were annoying. The new version of the Odyssey is supposed to have a trick that hides the black lines between pixels, so may be even better.
Frenzy Conducive "Benzine Wagons" Being "Tuned-Up" By Mechanicians
I have a Dell Visor, which follows the Microsoft standard. It's amazing.

The only downside is that you can't use them in a dark room as those Microsoft Mixed Reality devices need at least a bit of light to properly track movement (yes, even just the movement of your head).
Amazing list of awesome achievements: 5th Lotus 25 2018, 4th DRM 2019, 5th Williams FW14 vs. Ferrari 643 2019, 3rd Ferrari 312T vs. Lotus 72D 2020
Thank you. I had concerns whether this tracking system is accurate and fast enough for racing, compared to outside-in system of Oculus Rift and inside-out but with explicit markers Vive. Glad it's not a problem.
Simon, would you mind posting your video settings in AC? I am trying to fine-tune mine and using someone else's as a starting point would help.

Two main issues I am having now:
- small high-contrast features, like spots of light on the track in the distance sometimes are displayed in a way that tricks my brain to think they are very close to my face. Pretty annoying.
- FPS is lower than I would like, usually between 45 and 60. Maybe I'should reduce some settings but I expected more with a GTX 1080. Some of the GPU power is wasted on displaying the race on the monitor as well, is there a way to avoid that?

Other than those, I am really happy I got that headset. Granted, headset resolution is annoyingly crappy even with Odyssey+. But the stereoscopic vision helps so much with judging distances. The field of view is fantastic, and augmented by head turning. Finally I can see apexes in places such as Busstop chicane at Spa. with a monitor I could only guess/imagine where they were. Another thing that is much better than with a monitor is perception of the car starting to go sideways. I have always thought that without actual G-forces my brain will never get it right, but VR helps a lot, I guess thanks to peripheral vision.
Easy, everything on minimum except track details on medium (shadows are even completely deactivated). And then I've set supersampling in the Steam VR App to 150% for more clarity.

But this of course depends on your computer. I have a rather weak one (i3-6100 + GTX1050ti).

And I've also activated all the performance enhancing features in the Steam VR app (asynchronous reprojection and the other one, can't remember its name).
Amazing list of awesome achievements: 5th Lotus 25 2018, 4th DRM 2019, 5th Williams FW14 vs. Ferrari 643 2019, 3rd Ferrari 312T vs. Lotus 72D 2020
Thank you.

I'll fiddle with the Steam VR app. I have an i7 and a GTX1080 so I would expect far better performance than I am getting. I saw fps drop to just above 30 in some races, although on pretty heavy details and with many cars around

Three follow-up questions, hope you don't mind answering.

By 'everything on minimum" do you mean also antialiasing and anisotropic filtering?

What resolution did you set in the game? I see most people suggest 1920x1080 to have the in-game app sized resasonably.

Do you know if the AC app displays fps correctly for VR? Or should I use another tool to measure fps?
Oh, no, I set antialising to 2x and anisotropic filtering to 8x (but the latter doesn't need a lot of performance anyways).

The resolution in AC is set to 1920x1080 and the UI looks fine.

The FPS displayed in AC should be correct, 45fps get interpolated to 90fps as soon as you're under 90fps. Works pretty well, but real 90fps are definitely better.