Hello There, Guest! Register

Thread Rating:
  • 1 Vote(s) - 1 Average
Same setup - different top speed
I promise, absolutely promise that this is going to be my last thread for a long time.
I am not trying to find excuses for my lack of skills. I just want to understand.
Simple story:
1. I train for Spa on the Dallara, basic setup, and after maybe 200 laps I set a miserable PB of 2:13.9.
2. I notice from a comparison video I made with a fast guy that my top speed is 235, and his is 243. This has nothing to do with corner exit: two thirds into the long straight, my speed stabilises at 235, his continues to increase to 243.
3. I tweak the setup with more downforce front, a little back, increase rear camber and toe a notch. I immediately start shaving tenths and I set a new PB of 2:12.8. I am four seconds off the world record, consistent in the 13s and happy with unskilled myself. Interestingly, I notice that my top speed gets now up to 241. I thought downforce, if anything, would reduce top speed... I save the new setup.
4. I make a pathetic show in the race. Amen to that.
5. Today, I go back to try to improve my PB. I load the setup and a) I drive many - I mean many - laps within 5 tenths, ALL between 14 and 14.5. That is - I am consistently, I mean really consistently, 1 second slower than I was the day before yesterday. Even more interestingly, my top speed, lap after lap, won't go beyond 235.
Any wisdom highly appreciated, after which I shut the f#@*k up.
I just did a quick test, F3 Dallara default setup (didn't touch anything), 238km\h on Kemmel straight and 239km\h just before braking to bus stop.

And i'm lousy open-wheeler driver, so people who can carry more speed through Eau Rouge/Raidillon and Blanchimont can probably squeeze a few more km\h of top speed out of them.
(10-31-2018, 12:38 PM)Eero Järvinen Wrote:  I just did a quick test, F3 Dallara default setup (didn't touch anything), 238km\h on Kemmel straight and 239km\h just before braking to bus stop.

And i'm lousy open-wheeler driver, so people who can carry more speed through Eau Rouge/Raidillon and Blanchimont can probably squeeze a few more km\h of top speed out of them.

Terve terve, Eero. Thanks for your input. That, in itself, is interesting. Why would your car go faster than mine? I really don't think this has anything to do with carrying speed through previous turns. My top speed stabilises quite early on the Kemmel straight, and stays there for a long time before the breaking point. Also, if it was a matter of how the long S is negotiated, speed would vary from lap to lap, since one is bound to take slightly different lines. Instead, it is always at 235 (today) and it was always at 241 (day before yesterday).

NO NO NO, this is becoming a joke.

I have to add another point to my story above.

6.  I fire UP AC for the afternoon practice session, load the modified setup and - bang. Top speed is back to 241 (actually, 242) and from lap two I am back into my low 13s, a full second faster than this morning., and where I feel I belong. 

YES, I made sure that the same setup was loaded. 

The only explanation may be that track conditions vary from my (local) 10 am to 2 pm. I thought practice sessions were always at the track's 10am with 22c...
Pete, did you consider what revs you are shifting at?

Iirc the F3 Dallara you have to change up before the limiter or you will be losing loads of time, and of course have a lower max speed.
(10-31-2018, 01:50 PM)Alex Leif Wrote:  Pete, did you consider what revs you are shifting at?

Iirc the F3 Dallara you have to change up before the limiter or you will be losing loads of time, and of course have a lower max speed.

Thanks, Alex. I wonder if you have read my response to Eero above. I think this addresses your point. Whatever I do, whatever line I take, whatever revs I change at, at about 2/3 of the long straight I am either exactly at 235 or exactly at 241.
what about throthle and brake calibration (have you 100% Throtle and 0 on brake) , have you assigned handbrake to any analog axis? if yes try to find if it have not any smal percent as used
Yeah tbf only skimmed the previous posts, did you check there is no wind active perhaps? Wind can vary in intensity and direction, that could theoretically cause strange differences maybe?
Iirc hot lap mode always has wind disabled, whereas for example if you are using practice mode wind might be active without realising.