Hello There, Guest! Register

Thread Rating:
  • 2 Vote(s) - 3 Average
Please explain this
No. No. No and no again, my friends. This morning, nice and fresh, I did 20 laps, really, really focusing on what was happening from lap to lap.
Apart from a couple of inevitable crashes, ALL the laps were between 14:5 and 15.2. This - it seems to me - confirms that I am  certainly not the fastest guy around, but I know what I am doing and I can be quite consistent.
Now, a couple of important remarks:
1) At this speed, the car feels like on soap. It feels always at the limit of flying away. That is, I am not consistent by being conservative, I am consistent at what I perceive as the limit of the car. 
And, more importantly:
2) Like always, inevitable variations of line from lap to lap lead to inevitable swings in the delta bar. BUT what I would gain or lose would be one, two, maybe three tenths. Over a lap, things average out, so I am consistent between 14.5 and 15.2. NO WAY ON EARTH I could get a second here, a second there. This is inconceivable. 
Come on the throttle earlier? Been there, done that (maybe even only by chance): result, a couple of tenths gained. Trail braking when possible? Same story, a tenth, may be two or three. I observed carefully and I have seen it happening, lap after lap, and I remain with the the bottom line question.
WHERE THE HELL DOES ONE GET SIX SECONDS?
which car exactly , default setup? how much fuel? i Will try, dont forget track conditions too, the temperature and grip (online wnen there are many drivers the grip rises a lot and these 3percents make big differencies too) and Spa is long wan is too important how soon go to 100percent throtle , on many short track i lost 2s to top so 6 are possible

there are 2 F3 Dalara 317 and 312
(10-28-2018, 12:20 PM)Michal Janak Wrote:  which car exactly , default setup? how much fuel?  i Will try, dont forget track conditions too, the  temperature and grip (online wnen there are many drivers the grip rises a lot and these 3percents make big differencies too)  and Spa is long wan is too important how soon go to 100percent throtle , on many short track i lost 2s to top so 6 are possible

there are 2 F3 Dalara 317 and 312

Thanks Michal. 

The car is the latest model, 317.

Practice conditions. 10 o'clock in the morning, 22 C, track surface "optimum".

Everything is on the car is standard, no changes in setup. Fuel 22 litres as standard.

The next thing I am going to look at is tyre pressure, as that can have a bit of an impact.

I look forward to hearing about your impressions.
fired AC and dalara F317 2nd lap 2:15,8 defaul setup with no changes
(10-28-2018, 12:56 PM)Michal Janak Wrote:  fired AC and dalara F317 2nd lap 2:15,8   defaul setup with no changes

Well, Michal, there is a reason why you are where you are in the rating... I have just gone below 14, which is good for me, but I remain in complete darkness as to where the next 50 tenths of a second might possibly be!
now 2nd run at 5th lap 2:13,5 but must not hit curbs, not overbrake and not spin in last schicane before finish line, al small mistakes in lap makes 1s difference at final time, the defaul setup not good for me, too nervous (overtsteers a lot to speed 238 and the car bottoms at EauRouge which slow the car

i think that top times at RSR (2.08,1xx) is not with default

so next run 2:12,5 with possible 2:12 is not spin at lowest part of track

if you want my replay for comparsion send me your e-mail to PM
I was curious so I experimented as well.
On 10laps stock setup just low fuel I managed to do a 2:12:537
Then with just a change in downforce and 3 laps later 2:11:870 but to improve a little more of this time I would need much more laps...
(10-28-2018, 02:56 PM)Michal Janak Wrote:  now 2nd run at 5th lap 2:13,5  but must not hit curbs, not overbrake and not spin in last schicane before finish line,  al small mistakes in lap makes 1s difference at final time,  the defaul setup not good for me, too nervous (overtsteers a lot  to speed 238   and the car bottoms at EauRouge which slow the car

i think that top times at RSR (2.08,1xx) is not with default

so next run 2:12,5  with possible 2:12 is not spin at lowest part of track

if you want my replay for comparsion send me your e-mail to PM

Good stuff Michal. You are a very good driver and you may get down to 12. At that point, you still have 3 or 3.5 seconds to go. At that level, 3 seconds are like one year!

Myself, I managed 13.9 with full fuel, but after many laps. Maybe I can go down to 13, but no less than that. I agree that the car is really nervous.
(10-27-2018, 09:56 PM)Duarte Luz Wrote:  I'm no expert but
1- Is your setup exactly the same? this difference in speed maybe downforce and gearing
2- and yes You do a perfect time is by shaving little time on every entry mid and exit of a corner, this on a entie lap translates to 6 seconds
This.
In that video the upper driver carries always more speed: at entry, mid corner and accelerate earlier. 
Also he has a much better top speed and gearing.
No wonder that in a track like Spa this translates in 6 secs difference.
(10-29-2018, 06:50 AM)Giuseppe Iaria Wrote:  
(10-27-2018, 09:56 PM)Duarte Luz Wrote:  I'm no expert but
1- Is your setup exactly the same? this difference in speed maybe downforce and gearing
2- and yes You do a perfect time is by shaving little time on every entry mid and exit of a corner, this on a entie lap translates to 6 seconds
This.
In that video the upper driver carries always more speed: at entry, mid corner and accelerate earlier. 
Also he has a much better top speed and gearing.
No wonder that in a track like Spa this translates in 6 secs difference.

Thank you Giuseppe. I obviously tried all manners to be faster on entry and to come earlier on the throttle, and the car flies off, either understeering on entry or oversteering on exit. Generally, I have part of the wheels on the outside curb on entry and I try to clip the apex mid corner - maybe not all the time, but most of the time - so I cannot be accused of not using the track. 

I saw this comparing telemery in Iracing: my line is within inches of the other guy, I feel absolutely at the limit, and the other guy is several miles per hour faster mid corner, carries more speed and obviously gains time. 

This is exactly the issue: how do faster people keep the car on track when I have the feeling of driving on soap? When I look at their videos and when I look at the fine details of telemetry, it seems to me they are driving a different car.