Hello There, Guest! Register

Thread Rating:
  • 2 Vote(s) - 3 Average
Please explain this
(10-29-2018, 06:41 PM)Michal Janak Wrote:  whati changeable in this fixed setup?   brake balance? tyre presure?

Fuel, brake balance, brake power, tyre compound, ABS, TC (if available)
(10-29-2018, 06:41 PM)Michal Janak Wrote:  whati changeable in this fixed setup?   brake balance? tyre presure?

Hi Michal. Just brake balance and fuel I think.

Speaking of which... perhaps relevant to this thread as a whole: does anyone actively change their brake balance during a lap/race? I only just started experimenting with it today, and it does make a difference! Just not quite sure how to use it to best effect...
(10-29-2018, 11:20 AM)Pete Parisetti Wrote:  Great analysis Martin - exactly the case in point. As I said previously "I saw this comparing telemetry in Iracing: my line is within inches of the other guy, I feel absolutely at the limit, and the other guy is several miles per hour faster mid corner, carries more speed and obviously gains time. 

This is exactly the issue: how do faster people keep the car on track when I have the feeling of driving on soap? When I look at their videos and when I look at the fine details of telemetry, it seems to me they are driving a different car."

Is that the issue then? Because you also kept repeating that the 6 seconds difference wasn't justified.

But if the point is that the six second gap is valid but impossible to comprehend, that's also been pointed out here. It's skill and setup.

BTW a good setup will also make you a better driver, and a good driver can make a better setup, so they're interdependent. But comparing laptimes on default versus proper setup is apples and oranges. People's actual ability can only be evaluated on equivalent setups.
(10-29-2018, 06:44 PM)Max Teel Wrote:  

Hi Michal. Just brake balance and fuel I think.

Speaking of which... perhaps relevant to this thread as a whole: does anyone actively change their brake balance during a lap/race? I only just started experimenting with it today, and it does make a difference! Just not quite sure how to use it to best effect...

I've never tried to adjust brake balance from corner to corner during a single lap, but it can be useful to compensate for when tire wear causes a car to understeer or oversteer as the tires degrade. That's the only thing I've used it for.
(10-29-2018, 11:25 PM)Martin Smith Wrote:  
(10-29-2018, 11:20 AM)Pete Parisetti Wrote:  Great analysis Martin - exactly the case in point. As I said previously "I saw this comparing telemetry in Iracing: my line is within inches of the other guy, I feel absolutely at the limit, and the other guy is several miles per hour faster mid corner, carries more speed and obviously gains time. 

This is exactly the issue: how do faster people keep the car on track when I have the feeling of driving on soap? When I look at their videos and when I look at the fine details of telemetry, it seems to me they are driving a different car."

Is that the issue then? Because you also kept repeating that the 6 seconds difference wasn't justified.

But if the point is that the six second gap is valid but impossible to comprehend, that's also been pointed out here. It's skill and setup.

BTW a good setup will also make you a better driver, and a good driver can make a better setup, so they're interdependent. But comparing laptimes on default versus proper setup is apples and oranges. People's actual ability can only be evaluated on equivalent setups.

Sorry Martin I did not explain myself clearly. I never questioned that people do drive six second faster, I repeated "incomprehensible" because based on my own experience in seeing what may change lap after lap, it seems astronomical. 

I hear you when you speak about the interdependence of setup and skill, and agree. However, massive differences can be seen in fixed setup races as well, and that is only skill. Even more incomprehensible, if anything...
imo this is a bad idea to try to mingle with bias and TC during the race, as we don't have changing conditions (in that case that would be useful), maybe a click of TC can help with worn tyres or if you are willing to take more risks for a flying hotlap in quali, sometimes also just for the standing start. Bias although is important to get right, finding a good compromise between the best stopping power for all corners, at the same time for inline and trailbraking, it's your intitial impulse to catch the apex line (i guess what you refer as the yaw), very linked to aero as well, put more wing you can have more agressive bias etc.. but before it becomes a little dangerous, this is usually the easiest way to gain in laptimes through setup, so applies to fixed setup races as well.
By the way, after all this (and thanks everybody for a great discussion) the conditions during the race were TOTALLY different from what I've been training on for a whole week. Probably time of the day/track temperature. The car was a lot more difficult to drive and everybody was flying off in all directions. I was battling for a top ten position when the inevitable bump from behind arrived. I know, I know, the responsibility is always shared. BUT.
Hey Pete.

To be fair I'm not so sure responsibility is always shared when being hit. Obviously there are extreme situations, but generally the fault lies with the person behind. Today I was punted from behind and there was little I could have done to avoid it, then later on I tapped someone slightly from behind which I considered worth apologising for.

Thanks for this thread, I've enjoyed reading everyone else's comments!