Hello There, Guest! Register

Thread Rating:
  • 1 Vote(s) - 5 Average
New Assetto Corsa series starting 22/10/2018!
(10-24-2018, 12:40 PM)John Gordon Wrote:  
(10-24-2018, 12:08 PM)Russell Sobie Wrote:  So your argument is that pitstop is the one way to prevent the race from being nothing but hotlaps? That was literally my point on the subject. 

As for 20 minute races, I'm not sure how a shorter time limit in cars with typically fixed or very limited setup options that are typically slower than in 1 hour series would result in the same hotlapping-only symptoms I'm complaining about. Yes, the grid still spreads out, but not by nearly as much, being a function of less time on the clock and less setup options. So to summarize: the wider range of lap times + more laps = less time actually trying to pass or defend. And passing and defending is what I'm attracted to.  Driving by myself I can do anytime.  That's not racing... that's commuting. Big Grin (Yes, I'm trying to be funny... while also trying to make a point.)

I can certainly see that if you are successful in the hotlapping series and you really like hotlapping, you would not like to see someone successfully lobbying for less 1 hour races and more 20 minute races, but that's kind of what I'm trying to do. Sorry!

I'm average at best and manage to compete quite well in both the 20 min and the 1-hour races. Oh, and I simply don't have time to practice. I may do 5-20 laps in the time between registering for the race and the server opening. 

Things you see in the 1 hour that you don't get in the 20 min races. 

Tyre management
Fuel strategy 
driver fatigue
higher mistake probability 
emphasis on consistency over raw speed. 

I don't think I've ever raced you so I don't know how fast you are, but maybe get a little faster?

Besides, I thought the 1-hour races would be right up your street... think how many more reports you'll get out of the extra 40 mins! Wink

"Compete" != "race"... just because you are out in front doesn't mean you will be side by side with anyone on your server for any given race... that's what I'm interested in. I've greatly improved my speed over the past year here, where I used to be mid-pack at best, now I'm usually at the front of the mid-pack in the few races I participate in. Getting better might help me get next to one more driver on any given 1 hour race, but that's still just going to be for those first few laps (see previous arguments you guys are ignoring).

(10-24-2018, 12:55 PM)Dennis Ipenburg Wrote:  
(10-24-2018, 12:08 PM)Russell Sobie Wrote:  So your argument is that pitstop is the one way to prevent the race from being nothing but hotlaps? That was literally my point on the subject. 

As for 20 minute races, I'm not sure how a shorter time limit in cars with typically fixed or very limited setup options that are typically slower than in 1 hour series would result in the same hotlapping-only symptoms I'm complaining about. Yes, the grid still spreads out, but not by nearly as much, being a function of less time on the clock and less setup options. So to summarize: the wider range of lap times + more laps = less time actually trying to pass or defend. And passing and defending is what I'm attracted to.  Driving by myself I can do anytime.  That's not racing... that's commuting. Big Grin (Yes, I'm trying to be funny... while also trying to make a point.)

I can certainly see that if you are successful in the hotlapping series and you really like hotlapping, you would not like to see someone successfully lobbying for less 1 hour races and more 20 minute races, but that's kind of what I'm trying to do. Sorry!

Do you just not understand, or do you just try to make a case to disagree with as many ppl as possible?
If you have read more closely, you would see that a pitstop is definitely not the only way to prevent nothing but hotlaps. In 1hr races you have tyre management, fuel management. As John said, staying focused for a full hour is far more difficult than 20 minutes, you're prone to make more mistakes. Driver's fatique too. More laps equals more time to make up time to drivers in front of you. Especially if you drive around on different strategies. You can also make a mistake and have time to make up for that one mistake. On top of that, you mention 1 strategy (pit for 1L of fuel) which by default will NEVER work in that series, which leads me to believe you've never tried and made up your assumptions. 

Look, we all like what we like and don't what we don't. I cannot tell you you should like the 1hr series. But your arguments are just backwards. If there's a sequence of hotlaps, you will find that in any type of 20 minute races. There's no strategy, barely tyremanagement (and that heavily depends on the car) Just drive as many hotlaps in a row. It just doesn't make any sense to call the 1hr races a sequence of hotlaps

I stopped doing 1hr races before SRS went to the exploded consumption model, so I'm sure it is quite a bit more interesting in the strategy/tyre management aspect of motoracing than it was when 1 liter would suffice. However, as stated, I'm not all that interested in those things. I'm interested in actually passing and defending. I get more of that in a 20 minute race for much less investment than I would in a 1 hour race simply BECAUSE people don't have to manage these additional things.

I'll have to check out one of the one hour race streams to see if there is actually racing going on with these new stipulations. Somehow I think you are exaggerating this (or simply not understanding what a hotlap is?).
Tutorial on how to use Autodesk Mudbox and Adobe Photoshop to make custom liveries! https://tinyurl.com/yaetz4qz
Grab my PDash Skins (an Assetto Corsa HUD app) here: https://tinyurl.com/y95ewubz

Messages In This Thread
RE: New Assetto Corsa series starting 22/10/2018! - by Russell Sobie - 10-24-2018, 11:53 PM