Hello There, Guest! Register

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Red Bull Ring GP
(10-17-2018, 01:50 PM)Pete Parisetti Wrote:  
(10-16-2018, 11:17 PM)Pawel Kusmierek Wrote:  The formula is a mystery. I have 26 starts, just above 2 incidents, one top 3, 11 top 10s, zero wins, rating 472. And I seem to be at a skill level similar to Pete: best lap times always a few seconds behind the top drivers no matter how hard I try, most races survived, most passes (if any) thanks to other people crashing.

In my experience, getting up to 450 or so is not that hard, after that the rating gains per race from mediocre performance (like mine) become much smaller.

Pawel, I cannot DREAM of a top 3 finish. You are definitely better than me, I assure you. I agree that simply driving clean and finishing races does get you to 450, perhaps a little above. I've only raced MX5.

The formula is not a mystery. I commissioned it paid for it myself, to reward essentially slow racers like me and keep me somehow motivated in the face of my inferiority. 

At Red Bull ring by PB with the MX5 is 51.8, which is not all that bad. But, in race conditions I find it difficult to go below 53, and consistency on this track is impossible. And the others gain time, lap after lap...

Consistency is possible, you just need to be smooth and find some sort of references for yourself. Also need to get comfortable with the limits of the car. It took time for me to learn, I like to overdrive the car. Watch a few people do fast laps and try to follow their lines. I'm in the mid 1:48's in practice, you should be able to at least do a 1:50 after watching someone do a few laps
Kristian, mid 1:48s would place you at no. 2 in the RSR list of hotlaps (no. 1 is the fake RSR reference), on par with Bruno Fabiano, who notoriously breathes a mixture of liquid nitrogen and LSD. Congratulations to you.

http://www.radiators-champ.com/RSRLiveTi...riends=all

I also appreciate the suggestion to watch somebody doing hotlaps. Although I do on average 4 practice sessions of 30 minutes a day, I had never thought of that. I am sure it'll earn me those two seconds that are easily gained through "being smooth". 1:50 will place me at #15 of the list above, there with fellow aliens, and I will be a happy man.
(10-18-2018, 08:56 AM)Pete Parisetti Wrote:  Kristian, mid 1:48s would place you at no. 2 in the RSR list of hotlaps (no. 1 is the fake RSR reference), on par with Bruno Fabiano, who notoriously breathes a mixture of liquid nitrogen and LSD. Congratulations to you.

I also appreciate the suggestion to watch somebody doing hotlaps. Although I do on average 4 practice sessions of 30 minutes a day, I had never thought of that. I am sure it'll earn me those two seconds that are easily gained through "being smooth". 1:50 will place me at #15 of  the list above, there with fellow aliens, and I will be a happy man.

Yeah I had an absolutely incredible race with Bruno tonight, we battled for the entire 20 minutes, and I put in a 48.6xx in that session. Bruno is an awesome driver and top guy, seeing his times and knowing I could do it pushed me to improve. I've watched him a lot with the Miata and picked up some smoothness from it.

By the way, I thought RSR timing was deprecated? How are people still recording times there? I'd love to do the same.

I'll export my lap from the replay last night and send it to you, maybe it's useful!

Edit: Here is the last lap which was my fastest of that race https://streamable.com/jdyp2
horrible track. no bueno
(10-18-2018, 12:41 PM)Kristian Novev Wrote:  
(10-18-2018, 08:56 AM)Pete Parisetti Wrote:  Kristian, mid 1:48s would place you at no. 2 in the RSR list of hotlaps (no. 1 is the fake RSR referencRe), on par with Bruno Fabiano, who notoriously breathes a mixture of liquid nitrogen and LSD. Congratulations to you.

I also appreciate the suggestion to watch somebody doing hotlaps. Although I do on average 4 practice sessions of 30 minutes a day, I had never thought of that. I am sure it'll earn me those two seconds that are easily gained through "being smooth". 1:50 will place me at #15 of  the list above, there with fellow aliens, and I will be a happy man.

Yeah I had an absolutely incredible race with Bruno tonight, we battled for the entire 20 minutes, and I put in a 48.6xx in that session. Bruno is an awesome driver and top guy, seeing his times and knowing I could do it pushed me to improve. I've watched him a lot with the Miata and picked up some smoothness from it.

By the way, I thought RSR timing was deprecated? How are people still recording times there? I'd love to do the same.

I'll export my lap from the replay last night and send it to you, maybe it's useful!

Edit: Here is the last lap which was my fastest of that race https://streamable.com/jdyp2

Thank you very much Kristian. To tell you the truth, since I am a relatively newcomer, I did not recognize your name as a top racer and thought you were bullshitting me. Congratulations for real, then, hat off!

I was also trying to be ironic when talking about watching hot laps. As an ungufted but serious and passionate sim racer, I have watched a ton, and done a ton of comparative analysis on iracing. Nothing of all that has left me any wiser. The distance in performance with you guys remains incomprehensible.

Take your lap at Red Bull for instance. Except for first and last turn, where you cut into the apex a lot more than I do, our line is practically identical. Same braking pints, same turn in. So, I spent some time last night trying to cut as you do, and in effect gained almost a second. I never thought cutting so deep would be allowed, but evidently it is. This is truly enormous, but also minuscule if I think that there are two more seconds to gain. Two seconds at this level is an eternity. I am sure a few tenths can still be gained, but two seconds? It looks like you're driving a different car, one that looks like mine but behaves differently.

My failure to see, to understand where time is lost - let alone the capacity to replicate - is probably what keeps me in the slow league.

Thanks again.
i am too making 1:50 and as see, many are driving T1 and to other corners from behind white lines, when i try, i am usualy slowwer too, so clear lap is better , the line and braking point is one thing but how much brake and how aplly throttle is the key, and how much turn wheel not to slow the car by bigger angle than needed is important too
I tried it yesterday.

Was in the MX5 race at RedBull ring and my laptime was far from good. When punted from behind i chose to park it in the pits and drive along with the nr1 just to look at his style and driving. He did take the corners way faster then i did.

tried it myself later on and took almost  3 seconds of my laptime Blush
(10-21-2018, 08:54 AM)Michal Janak Wrote:  i am too making 1:50 and as see, many are driving T1 and to other corners from behind white lines, when i try, i am usualy slowwer too, so clear lap is better , the line and braking point is one thing but how much brake and how aplly throttle is the key, and how much turn wheel not to slow the car by bigger angle than needed is important too

I did 1.49s. I do take T1 wide because my exit speed is much, much higher than when I stay within the white line before entry. 
Just by comparisson, until the hairpin that follows the difference runs op to 0,3 second. It really cannot be possible to be faster with a tighter entry, simply because your exit speed will be a lower