Hello There, Guest! Register

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Red Bull Ring GP
I know I have been posting a lot lately. Apologies. Please feel free to ignore me.
I have yet another question. Is it only me finding the the Red Bull Ring GP track very, very difficult? I find that it does a splendid work of bringing out my weaknesses. Read, apart from a general lack of speed, the fact that I DO NOT UNDERSTAND, based on the inputs I have from the sim, why pretty much the same actions deliver very different results. Same breaking point, same turn in, looking at the apex, then at the exit. Same perceptions. One, two, even three tenths difference in the corner, faster or - more often - slower, then amplified on the straight. FOV correct, sound correct. It's just me not having that level of discernment, I am afraid. Other tracks are a little more forgiving perhaps.
In this frustration bubble bath, where essentially I have to wait for others to crash to gain some miserable positions, the only reason that keeps me in the hobby is that the rating keeps growing, only and exclusively because I crash little.
I find Red Bull Ring to be one of those tracks that at first seem easy, but are actually really hard. Being an even little off at some of the corners will have huge impact on your laptime, not to mention learning how and what curbs you can use and what corners you can cut and how much. But i do quite enjoy it for the challenges it gives.
Tongue 
(10-16-2018, 01:52 PM)Pete Parisetti Wrote:  I know I have been posting a lot lately. Apologies. Please feel free to ignore me.
I have yet another question. Is it only me finding the the Red Bull Ring GP track very, very difficult? I find that it does a splendid work of bringing out my weaknesses. Read, apart from a general lack of speed, the fact that I DO NOT UNDERSTAND, based on the inputs I have from the sim, why pretty much the same actions deliver very different results. Same breaking point, same turn in, looking at the apex, then at the exit. Same perceptions. One, two, even three tenths difference in the corner, faster or - more often - slower, then amplified on the straight. FOV correct, sound correct. It's just me not having that level of discernment, I am afraid. Other tracks are a little more forgiving perhaps.
In this frustration bubble bath, where essentially I have to wait for others to crash to gain some miserable positions, the only reason that keeps me in the hobby is that the rating keeps growing, only and exclusively because I crash little.

I'm just amazed at how you climed to a rating of 408 with just 20 starts and only 1 top ten result, having 1.55 incidents. Rating system is quite funky  :p
(10-16-2018, 09:29 PM)Troels Hadberg Wrote:  
(10-16-2018, 01:52 PM)Pete Parisetti Wrote:  I know I have been posting a lot lately. Apologies. Please feel free to ignore me.

I'm just amazed at how you climed to a rating of 408 with just 20 starts and only 1 top ten result, having 1.55 incidents. Rating system is quite funky  :p

Yeah, how does that work? I have like 40 starts, 14 wins, 24 top 3 and only 526
The formula is a mystery. I have 26 starts, just above 2 incidents, one top 3, 11 top 10s, zero wins, rating 472. And I seem to be at a skill level similar to Pete: best lap times always a few seconds behind the top drivers no matter how hard I try, most races survived, most passes (if any) thanks to other people crashing.

In my experience, getting up to 450 or so is not that hard, after that the rating gains per race from mediocre performance (like mine) become much smaller.
Frenzy Conducive "Benzine Wagons" Being "Tuned-Up" By Mechanicians
Eero is right in that the track looks far easier than it is. Because there are a lot of fast straights and not many corners, hitting those corners perfectly and getting the best possible exit makes up a huge amount of time, more than most tracks. Being even 3-5mph slower out of a corner will have cost you a lot of time before you reach the next one. Gearbox and aero setup (if available) can also make or brake a lap time on this track.
(10-16-2018, 11:17 PM)Pawel Kusmierek Wrote:  The formula is a mystery. I have 26 starts, just above 2 incidents, one top 3, 11 top 10s, zero wins, rating 472. And I seem to be at a skill level similar to Pete: best lap times always a few seconds behind the top drivers no matter how hard I try, most races survived, most passes (if any) thanks to other people crashing.

In my experience, getting up to 450 or so is not that hard, after that the rating gains per race from mediocre performance (like mine) become much smaller.

It feels like you get more points if you race in different types of races. I’ve done 38 starts with only 2 wins, 12 top 3, 30 top 10 with an incident average of 1.075 and I’m up to a rating of 608. I only started racing here two weeks ago but I’ve done the racing in different classes.

As for Red Bull Ring I also find it to be a difficult track to get right. It’s amazing how the top runners can be so much quicker consistently but it also helps me to keep my motivation and try to improve.
Reading this makes me want to close my current account and start fresh over. When I started I wasn't the driver I am now, and somehow it seems that my horrible start here at SRS is still haunting me to this day Wink
(10-16-2018, 11:17 PM)Pawel Kusmierek Wrote:  The formula is a mystery. I have 26 starts, just above 2 incidents, one top 3, 11 top 10s, zero wins, rating 472. And I seem to be at a skill level similar to Pete: best lap times always a few seconds behind the top drivers no matter how hard I try, most races survived, most passes (if any) thanks to other people crashing.

Pawel, I cannot DREAM of a top 3 finish. You are definitely better than me, I assure you. I agree that simply driving clean and finishing races does get you to 450, perhaps a little above. I've only raced MX5.

The formula is not a mystery. I commissioned it paid for it myself, to reward essentially slow racers like me and keep me somehow motivated in the face of my inferiority. 

At Red Bull ring by PB with the MX5 is 51.8, which is not all that bad. But, in race conditions I find it difficult to go below 53, and consistency on this track is impossible. And the others gain time, lap after lap...
(10-17-2018, 01:50 PM)Pete Parisetti Wrote:  Pawel, I cannot DREAM of a top 3 finish. 

It was a 5-driver race,  and I think I also benefited from one person forgetting to pit (it was a 1hr race with a mandatory pit stop). So really nothing special. Smile
Frenzy Conducive "Benzine Wagons" Being "Tuned-Up" By Mechanicians