Hello There, Guest! Register

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
SRS / iRacing Comparison?
My two cents worth of an opinion, after having done only three races on AC/SRS, is that this blows Iracing out of the water in terms of experience, at least for me. The "tolerant" attitude to contacts that you are inevitably bound to have in virtual racing is excellent. Yes, you rightly loose points and therefore rating if you have an accident, but you are not writing off an entire race by being sent to the pit forever. If you go minorly off road, you are not harshly punished. And, I don't know if this was just a coincidence in the three races I've done, but it seems to me the driving is a lot cleaner, with much less first turn carnage and less pileups in general. I am a beginner and I will never be a champion, but I have found a system that rewards my clean and consistent driving. Thank you SRS! I only hope ACC will maintain the same attitude. Or that SRS will simply continue to work. Kudos to the incredible developer!
iracing is a lot better, but that is to be expected, SRS considering it's such a small thing (1 or 2 ppl) have done extremely well and have put all other games multiplayer systems to shame

ultimately though iracing have the resources where as srs doesn't
(09-18-2018, 07:23 PM)David Weber Wrote:  Are any SRS drivers also active on iRacing? I've done a 3-month trial (which expired last week) and tried a few cars, VR, and just 2-3 races all with the included content, but I'm thinking of going big with a 2-year membership ($120 after new account discount) after I return from my holiday travels. I'm very intrigued by the Skip Barber series that people gush about. I like driving open wheelers in VR and the Skippy sounds like it's within my skill range to control.

I vastly prefer the Assetto Corsa simulator to iRacing's because of the helpful apps I can run, the Content Manager launcher, the great community from SRS, a great variety of cars and tracks, and the free (after AC is purchased) service.

But iRacing's service certainly is nice. It's great to race hourly in the series I'm interested in instead of just certain times during the day/week. I fully understand with the number of drivers in SRS's user base, running the same car/track config hourly would result in much fewer drivers on the starting grid. iRacing's HUD is seriously limited compared to AC. You can't even reposition apps or display multiple at once - just page through them in the "black box."

I'm interested to hear anybody else's thoughts on their iRacing/SRS preferences.

I have no iracing experience, except that I did download and install it, but was halted at the subscription wanting. This was during the time I was looking for some good racers. I ended up getting into R3E, and have all content, with the exception of the latest added, three cars,... so far. So, from what I have read, which I've done a lot of, I'd be really hard pressed to consider, iracing, at this point, pushed over by SRS, and the ability of simply being able to host my own Servers in R3E (Can I host my own server in iracing,... idk. I don't think so?). So for me the iracing vs SRS, debate, or question, is an easy one. I can't consider iracing as even a side Sim at this point. SRS, for sure, so far. Now, that being said, I'm sure iracing is a very fine Sim, for those, that are knee deep into it. But as someone else mentioned, I simply don't have the time to invest, into it like that, which will also equate to a $ > time, problem for me.

SRS just makes a much better, time > $, sense to me. Content is a given.

SRS > iRACING
Wink Rolleyes Cool
I recently moved more towards iRacing. There were bits and pieces that bothered me on AC a bit.
In terms of physics, I don't think there's a huge difference between AC & iRacing. The sound of certain cars in iRacing is much better though. So, in terms of a simrace experience I don't think there's a big difference. It would come down to personal taste.
So far I have become a fan. Power through the rookie stage and you'll see a much higher respect on track than I have experienced here. The incident rules are much more strict than here, and that translates back in track behavior (of most). There is however room for mistakes. Let's face it, we all make them. But when you make the mistake here and someone decides to report it after you apologized anyway, you'll be facing a suspension.
What also appealed to me in iRacing is the huge number of races being offered online. Variety is the spice of life ;-)
The downside though is, be prepared to take out your wallet. If you focus on 2 series it will cost you quite a bit to download at least the tracks (especially in the beginning)
(03-18-2019, 11:03 AM)Dennis Ipenburg Wrote:  The incident rules are much more strict than here, and that translates back in track behavior (of most). There is however room for mistakes. Let's face it, we all make them. But when you make the mistake here and someone decides to report it after you apologized anyway, you'll be facing a suspension.

Oh, just the opposite oppinion here. I get several penalty points in iRacing when being hit by others. I was tired of excesive ambitious people and paying money for getting angry. After 20 races in SRS I can say i am more happy than in iRacing. Everybody can make a mistake (i am the first), but there is a wealthy environment in the races i took part. Only in one race i saw disrespectul words between drivers (curiosly both were from my country, i was ashamed). Life is very stressful itself. I drive to get fun and i am getting fun here, more than in iRacing.
Shaun Clarke Racing team.
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCXFr32FURbIpcY7IAMUaO7A
It can get crazy in the rookie (MX5) races, that I agree with. However, once you've outgrown that it is a world of difference.
Strangely enough I find it here to be the complete opposite.