Hello There, Guest! Register

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Sim-racer drove F1 car
Some time ago I posted about my experience in driving Formula Renault 2.0 car (http://www.simracingsystem.com/showthread.php?tid=3483)
Now time is for Formula1  Smile
This is on-board from my experience of driving F1 Williams FW29:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lXSxPfTQvZo
ask me any questions if you want to know anything
OMG, so jealous! Big Grin

How hard is it to keep on track? :-)

People are always intimitaded by that Top Gear video where Richard Hammond miserably fails to go actual race speed with an F1 car and think that driving an F1 car is hard in general.

But I think it's actually kind of like driving any other car (to put it in simple terms) as long as you're not trying to go full race speed, keep your respect and use your brain a little, am I right?
Amazing list of awesome achievements: 5th Lotus 25 2018, 4th DRM 2019, 5th Williams FW14 vs. Ferrari 643 2019, 3rd Ferrari 312T vs. Lotus 72D 2020
(08-20-2018, 10:03 PM)Simon Meisinger Wrote:  OMG, so jealous! Big Grin

But I think it's actually kind of like driving any other car (to put it in simple terms) as long as you're not trying to go full race speed, keep your respect and use your brain a little, am I right?

Actually, I think the problem that Hammond had was that he wasn't going fast enough - couldn't get heat into the tires and/or make appropriate use of the extensive F1 aerodynamic package, thus making the car hard to drive (because he was going too slow).
(08-20-2018, 10:03 PM)Simon Meisinger Wrote:  OMG, so jealous! Big Grin

How hard is it to keep on track? :-)

People are always intimitaded by that Top Gear video where Richard Hammond miserably fails to go actual race speed with an F1 car and think that driving an F1 car is hard in general.

you right, car is easy to drive and it is more stable than FR 2.0 car. Lot's of people without any formula experience can drive at low speed. 
90% of mistakes people do when accelerating hard in corners. In formula car you can't apply more than ~30% of throttle until your wheel pointed straight.
another mistake - soft braking. In F1 car you don't feel brake pedal (as pedal) at all. you feel a "wall" and you press your lag into "wall". In FR 2.0 car I can feel brake as pedal. It has some traverse.
Fast corners are really scare. In my video you can find a corner when I turn at 200km/h. I lift gas pedal a bit, but I'm sure it is 100% can be drive flat out.
(08-20-2018, 10:40 PM)Albert Castro Wrote:  Actually, I think the problem that Hammond had was that he wasn't going fast enough - couldn't get heat into the tires and/or make appropriate use of the extensive F1 aerodynamic package, thus making the car hard to drive (because he was going too slow).

He was going too slow for how fast he wanted to go, even if that sounds strange Big Grin

You can go slow to semi-fast in an F1 car or superfast. You can't just go something inbetween as you need warm tires and a enough downforce for that. I think Hammond also tried to go very fast in very tight corners, which might even be a challenge for some professional racers.
Amazing list of awesome achievements: 5th Lotus 25 2018, 4th DRM 2019, 5th Williams FW14 vs. Ferrari 643 2019, 3rd Ferrari 312T vs. Lotus 72D 2020