Hello There, Guest! Register

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Test before joining SRS
(08-15-2018, 09:17 PM)John Gordon Wrote:  Ok, controversial post alert.

I don't think anything anyone has said anything in this thread that would make you think that we are all freaking out about our assumption that every race will be incident free. We are freaking out (if that) over the fact that there are many racers here that simply have no idea what is actually expected of them when they sim race. They have this (frankly understandable) assumption that "because video game, anything goes". In any other type of video game, I would agree with that sentiment. The concept of "gentleman's rules" in this like First Person Shooters or Fighters is some of the dumbest things I've ever seen.

Sim racing is simply different. You are expected to respect other drivers and specifically not do "anything goes". And that's what a better set of rules and/or a required test for new SRS members would at least HELP with. I'm guessing that at least a portion of the drivers that join here that think that using someone as an outside wall to assist braking into a turn would actually alter their attitude if it were made explicitly clear what their attitude SHOULD be.

We are making too many assumptions about the knowledge of the userbase.

(08-15-2018, 09:52 PM)Maciek Sobczak Wrote:  
(08-14-2018, 09:11 PM)Russell Sobie Wrote:  That simply isn't enough. Half the people signed up don't even know what a blue flag is, much less how to respect one. And the people that don't know are the people that need to know the most! Big Grin
I get you but imo if you`re interested in motorsport then you should know the rules already (obviously not directed at you). It`s not that hard to read the internet, plenty of info on racing rules to read. Lookie here

https://f1metrics.wordpress.com/2014/08/...of-racing/

No test needed, just follow the rules or face the consequences. We are grown people, are we not?

As I mention above... this is a simulation AND a video game. We cannot assume that anyone that installed AC or rF or pCARS or RaceRoom or [any sim here] actually has real life interest in motorsport. Guess what, guys! I have almost no interest in real life motorsport! I am a gamer that also happens to like sims! But, I'm also a bit of an anomoly among gamers in that I like to get good at games I play, and part of getting good means doing research on how to do things well. And if you do happen to scratch the surface of sim racing, you pretty quickly find that there are rules that the video game part doesn't actually handle (unlike any other video game), and if you want to play in a healthy environment, you have to learn those rules and abide.

This whole thread is literally pointing out that there are not enough rules and/or information ON THIS WEBSITE to inform new users that they can't just register for a race, hit the vertical pedal on the right, and hope for the best. Linking to some F1 rules to another website is just more proof that it is missing here.

(08-16-2018, 07:16 AM)Erik Hanoy Wrote:  It is frustrating to meet disrespectful driver, I think we all can agree on that. I have had my share, but we have
to see the difference between pure evil and bad mistakes. In the Tiyota-series there are drivers who hit you clearly on purpose, to make an overtake, so I dont drive that anymore. But.... last night I participated in a 60 minutes race at Barcelona (C6R) and I had a car right behind me for about 3 laps or so. He was careful, gave me a lot if pressure, but was fair, and there was no contact. Finally he manged to overtake on the strait. 20 seconds later I hit him from the back.... So sometimes I am the idiot.....
What dud I do then? Well, because of the hit (not a big one, he stayed on track) he got a bad exit. I could have made an overtake, but I didnt, I wated until after the next turn, before I was racing him again. That’s important, if you cause trouble for other drivers, do not take advantage.

And I want to point out one more thing. SRS is free, and it is a great system. I find most drivers to be respectful,. Sometimes I get hit, and I’m pissed of, but when I watch the replay, I sometimes feel that I could have given the other car more room. 

Good on you. Now... if we just had a way to flip the switch in everyone's brain when they sign up for SRS to act as you do. Or at least inform them that there is a switch to flip. Like more specific rules of conduct... or an informative quiz, perhaps. Smile
Tutorial on how to use Autodesk Mudbox and Adobe Photoshop to make custom liveries! https://tinyurl.com/yaetz4qz
Grab my PDash Skins (an Assetto Corsa HUD app) here: https://tinyurl.com/y95ewubz

Messages In This Thread
Test before joining SRS - by Matthias Obot - 08-08-2018, 12:33 PM
RE: Test before joining SRS - by Russell Sobie - 08-08-2018, 12:53 PM
RE: Test before joining SRS - by Jaroslav Černý - 08-10-2018, 09:17 PM
RE: Test before joining SRS - by Marc Neutelings - 08-11-2018, 08:10 AM
RE: Test before joining SRS - by Russell Sobie - 08-11-2018, 02:20 PM
RE: Test before joining SRS - by Jim C Russell - 08-11-2018, 04:16 PM
RE: Test before joining SRS - by Russell Sobie - 08-14-2018, 09:11 PM
RE: Test before joining SRS - by Michal Janak - 08-15-2018, 07:53 PM
RE: Test before joining SRS - by John Gordon - 08-15-2018, 09:17 PM
RE: Test before joining SRS - by Maciek Sobczak - 08-15-2018, 09:52 PM
RE: Test before joining SRS - by Erik Hanoy - 08-16-2018, 07:16 AM