Hello There, Guest! Register

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Test before joining SRS
Hey fellas,

in my time driving SRS I often see people that have absolutely no clue what it actually means to race a non-arcade sim.
Like everybody I started racing on the lower spectrum of servers but by now my rating sometimes puts me into the topsplits and it's nothing like I imagined it.
I understand that one has to learn driving by well.... driving but I do not think that this is everything people should learn (please practice offline).
I'm shocked by the way people behave on track even in the topsplit - there is no other mentality than on the "lower" servers.
What I mean by that is that people are racing like idiots through practice and quali, blocking, bumping etc. Same goes for backmarkers that begin racing you if you're about to lap them - I mean like WTF is that?
It seems to me that there are alot of people out here that have no clue about racing etiquette or the flag's meaning so thought: wouldn't it be better to make new applicants do a "basic" quiz about racing, since the admin has to activate their account manually anyways?
Excellent idea. One of the complaints I see a lot of here on the forums is that there is very little in the way of explicit rules, and what IS there makes a whole lot of assumptions about the knowledge base of the individual drivers. Might be nice to have something here on the website that is an official reference for what folks should and should not be doing on the track in general. I'm sure a number of folks would volunteer to write such a document if this is something that would be considered (to be clear, I'd be happy to).

I don't see a whole lot of the behavior you are mentioning, but I have seen it.
Tutorial on how to use Autodesk Mudbox and Adobe Photoshop to make custom liveries! https://tinyurl.com/yaetz4qz
Grab my PDash Skins (an Assetto Corsa HUD app) here: https://tinyurl.com/y95ewubz
The user base is not large and skilled enough to be able to fill a top split server with the drivers you would want. There can be only about 5 out of 2000 participating that would satisfy your criteria.
As far as behavior, the top fastest drivers can be and often are same "pigs" as anyone else. It's all about respect, of them for you and of you for others. The aggressiveness on the top can be pretty brutal at times, and while many do try to drive safe we do have to also use a common sense and respect such as if I bump someone I don't attack them in the next corner if I have gained an advantage by bumping them. You have to decide what was or not your fault and if you want to upset the person by overtaking them a little bit unfairly or not.

In leagues the protests can be quite "funny" and when people are competitive even the tiniest things get reported to get any possible points for the championship scoring be it single or team effort. As in, some people will even report single line change blocking of overtakes XD at least in last lap of a 6h race when they don't get a podium as result etc. They try, but they often fail with such protests and only burden the organizers.

Instead of looking at what split you are on SRS, look for specific people, who do you want to race with, who you might not want to race with if they often cause collisions with you. Makes races more enjoyable and competitive with fewer contacts.

These are the basic rules in simracing, it did not originate with LFS, as far as I know they are called Clean Racers Club rules, CRC rules for short:
https://en.lfsmanual.net/wiki/Rules_of_Clean_Racing
https://en.lfsmanual.net/index.php?title...Club_Rules

This is short and quite good. League rules used to be 10s of pages long with more details but those are often for league use, scoring etc. these basic rules are simply included in them along the many other situations that you get with team endurace racing, driver swapping and all that.

I've said it before I am amazed how SRS doesn't have any regulations on the web similar to this, only scoring and then the all caps warnings that people ignore anyway and some even make no sense. Sure excessive chatting is not necessary but everyone chats in AC even on SRS and unlike LFS in AC there is chat visible only in "lobby" not while racing, in LFS I think one could hide the chat but for league purposes that was forbidden so that organizers can use chat to inform everyone although they often had options to make big signs on screen anyway such as track wide flags.
I understand the annoyance of Matthias very well.....

I know this complaining is forbidden on this forum but i think there should be "i have to get this of my chest" topic, but i fear this would evolve in a dirty topic very soon i'm affraid.

I'm not the fastest out there (by far) but i have immense pleasure in racing in SRS and try to be competitive with others similar to my pace. Mostly you can find me in the midfield but the last couple of days i competed in the Paul Ricard race with the Toyota's.....thinking of not driving there anymore because it has nothing to do with racing more like bumpercars. It's becoming like the open servers.
Even worse is the fact that i'm racing myself with the mindset "i don't give a shit anymore" so it is better to not go there.

The main reason i came to SRS is allthough i'm not really very fast i wanted to race clean and with respect.
The Toyota series is a straight up shit show currently. I'd say at least 3 individuals that I've seen in multiple races in the time slot I race in either have no clue that AC is not Burnout, or they don't care. And because the car is slow there's not a lot of safe passing opportunities when folks are literally running others off the road trying to maintain a position. The only success I've had in the series is to qualify near the top, block the mid pack from dive bombing t1, and then just pull away and hot lap for 20 minutes. Frankly I've had more fun getting spun out lap 1 and attempting to pass the back field than I did getting 4th with no incidents. Something does not compute.
Tutorial on how to use Autodesk Mudbox and Adobe Photoshop to make custom liveries! https://tinyurl.com/yaetz4qz
Grab my PDash Skins (an Assetto Corsa HUD app) here: https://tinyurl.com/y95ewubz
(08-11-2018, 02:20 PM)Russell Sobie Wrote:  The Toyota series is a straight up shit show currently. I'd say at least 3 individuals that I've seen in multiple races in the time slot I race in either have no clue that AC is not Burnout, or they don't care. And because the car is slow there's not a lot of safe passing opportunities when folks are literally running others off the road trying to maintain a position. The only success I've had in the series is to qualify near the top, block the mid pack from dive bombing t1, and then just pull away and hot lap for 20 minutes. Frankly I've had more fun getting spun out lap 1 and attempting to pass the back field than I did getting 4th with no incidents. Something does not compute.
I usually only defend with people I know and have raced with before, the others I let go by as more often than not its crash to pass.  Frankly its getting pretty tiresome, especially with the 'slower' cars as the fast cars tend to weed out the field after the 1st lap if you survive T1.  My wish list, a prequal for each series where no drivers allowed that can't beat the 100% AI time with min 5 good laps in succession for all track/car combos...and rubber bumpers!  I practice with my teammate in SRS mode to get used to the crazy aggression often found at the track. Good racing to you all!
jim
Not so much flashing as just displayed in the top right, assuming you aren't on VR. I don't know how visible it is while in VR, but my understanding is that most VR users get install a fix for this... which either adjusts where the flags show up, or they use something like pDash that can display flag notifications anywhere you want it. CrewChief also tells you when you have a Blue Flag notification by default.

As for the "write the answers down somewhere" that's kind of part of the problem. The rules here at SRS are literally this currently:

Quote:NEVER DRIVE THE WRONG WAY!!

ABUSIVE CONTACT BETWEEN VEHICLES IS FORBIDDEN!

DO NOT CAUSE ACCIDENTS ON WARMUP LAPS!

RESPECT YELLOW AND BLUE FLAGS!

CHAT IS NOT ALLOWED!

The administration reserves the right to change this document at any time, if needed, as well as suspend or ban a user for bad conduct.

That simply isn't enough. Half the people signed up don't even know what a blue flag is, much less how to respect one. And the people that don't know are the people that need to know the most! Big Grin

The "exam" could even be written in such a way as to inform the testee, rather than exclude them for being ignorant. Example:

Question #4:
You are notified in the top left of your screen that there is a Blue Flag! Which of the following is the correct course of action?

A) Summon your inner jerk and weave erratically to defend at all costs!
B) Either slam on your brakes immediately or radically alter your racing line to allow lapping drivers to pass as quickly as possible!
C) Ignore the notice... you are here to go fast!
D) Maintain a predictable racing line and allow lapping drivers to pass when THEY know it is safe to do so!
How many idiots in Toyota seriers. They run as it was a destruction derby. They just don't respect people
totaly upset today again, in Ginetta one stupid hit at SF straight, he goes where no room and hits 2 cars (the 2nd one spinned) and then someone overtake me and then cant hold car on finish straight and spun, instead save the situation he colided into me, then no excuse, again one lost popsition and 9 points in standings, bravo, bravo , like on public Sad maybe worse because i exopect better style on server one in top 10 places
Ok, controversial post alert.

There's one thing I never could understand about Sim racers. Why on earth can't sim racers come to grips with the fact that accidents will happen in every single race/event.

Think of the last time you were taken out on track during your last sim race. Do you think the driver hit you on purpose? If the answer is yes, then please, feel free to be angry and report it.

But if that driver was pushing his virtual car to the very best of his/her ability in an effort to race with you (which is why we all do this in the first place) then I'm sorry. But you need to get a grip of yourself.

We are subject to the same stresses, pressures and adrenaline of a professional racing driver. When we have our virtual cars cm's apart at a virtual speed of 260 kph, were subject to the same risk of an incident that they are in real life. Yet were normal people with jobs, not professional, highly trained and experienced racers.

Have you ever watched real Motorsport. There's contact everywhere. Even at the very top of the sport.

You can not get angry at someone is trying their best. Of course you'll be pissed. But it's not their fault. When you're pushing anything to it's limits, there's always a fine line between success and failure. That's the very nature of being on the limit and why there's professional racing. Because people love watching man and machine push those limits and often exceed them.

There are several attitudes that need to be dropped in the sim racing community.

I hate how people who are faster than the car in front feel that it's their right to get past. It's not. Somehow he managed to be on front of you. Now it's your responsibility to get passed him cleanly. And his is MORE than entitled to defend.

And if during that little battle there's a spin and they take you with them the it's your fault. No one forced you to race him. And he's MORE than entitled to make a mistake.

If a Formula One driver can come to terms with the fact that sometimes there's going to be crashes, then I'm sure you can.

I'm sick of seeing racing incidents take place then people lose their blob and go all "I'm going to report you, I was way faster, bla bla".

Again, intentional crashing is different.

But if you want to go door to door with people who might not have the same skill level as you, then you're going to have to accept that sometimes there's going to be a crash. Because they are MORE than entitled to race just as much as you are.