Hello There, Guest! Register

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Kicking high then 150 ping players.
Just got my race again destroyed by some idiots who are lagging all over the track and playing at 200-250 ping.. When is there going to be done something about this???  Angry Angry Angry
I've mentioned someone warping during practice/qualifying and they kindly enough quit the race. Try that first. If you don't see it during practice/qualifying and only experience it during the race, record a video and file a protest.

If you know of a full proof way to kick people with bad connections and not just SLOW connections*, then suggesting it here would be a good idea.

*I race with a 140-240 ping to German SRS servers almost daily without any issues. Ping time is not connection quality.
Tutorial on how to use Autodesk Mudbox and Adobe Photoshop to make custom liveries! https://tinyurl.com/yaetz4qz
Grab my PDash Skins (an Assetto Corsa HUD app) here: https://tinyurl.com/y95ewubz
(08-03-2018, 06:26 PM)Russell Sobie Wrote:  I've mentioned someone warping during practice/qualifying and they kindly enough quit the race. Try that first. If you don't see it during practice/qualifying and only experience it during the race, record a video and file a protest.

If you know of a full proof way to kick people with bad connections and not just SLOW connections*, then suggesting it here would be a good idea.

*I race with a 140-240 ping to German SRS servers almost daily without any issues. Ping time is not connection quality.

Maybe that works on US servers with English speaking people, but in EU it's 50% of the ppl joining are either Spanish and will/don't talk English (not all).
To be fair it has literally only worked once in my experience, and the guy in question was from Australia I think. Doesn't hurt to try!
Tutorial on how to use Autodesk Mudbox and Adobe Photoshop to make custom liveries! https://tinyurl.com/yaetz4qz
Grab my PDash Skins (an Assetto Corsa HUD app) here: https://tinyurl.com/y95ewubz
I've posted about this many times by now. Probably nothing will be done.

On SRS people don't have a common sense and connect from South America, Asia, Oceania to EU servers with atrocious latencies and connection quality, 250ms+ warping around.
I do try tell them when I see them having even as high as 400ms latencies (while my connection to AU/NZ is 300-330ms) that they are warping and it will cause issues but I don't think a single one yet went to fix their connection or disconnect to avoid making a mess on start.

150ms is a sensible limit IMHO.

The solution is simple, use a server app that monitors latencies and kicks those with too high. If you don't know which app does it or if the server can be configured to do it, ask IZI on assetto-fr.tk, they run public servers with KMR and have latency protection there, not sure it's from KMR or other app.

Plus this could also be resolved before even connecting to the server as SRS uses custom apps, as such when you click join it could test your connection and deny registration right there if your connection is too bad for the chosen server you're trying to register to.

Even 100-150ms warps noticeably, but it's a definite step forward from the insane 200-400ms there are now on SRS. People have no common sense to realize that if they are from Americas they should connect to American servers, from Asia to Asian servers, this is not only for AC or SRS, this is for any realtime gaming.
(08-05-2018, 12:52 PM)Jaroslav Černý Wrote:  I've posted about this many times by now. Probably nothing will be done.

On SRS people don't have a common sense and connect from South America, Asia, Oceania to EU servers with atrocious latencies and connection quality, 250ms+ warping around.
I do try tell them when I see them having even as high as 400ms latencies (while my connection to AU/NZ is 300-330ms) that they are warping and it will cause issues but I don't think a single one yet went to fix their connection or disconnect to avoid making a mess on start.

150ms is a sensible limit IMHO.

The solution is simple, use a server app that monitors latencies and kicks those with too high. If you don't know which app does it or if the server can be configured to do it, ask IZI on assetto-fr.tk, they run public servers with KMR and have latency protection there, not sure it's from KMR or other app.

Plus this could also be resolved before even connecting to the server as SRS uses custom apps, as such when you click join it could test your connection and deny registration right there if your connection is too bad for the chosen server you're trying to register to.

Even 100-150ms warps noticeably, but it's a definite step forward from the insane 200-400ms there are now on SRS. People have no common sense  to realize that if they are from Americas they should connect to American servers, from Asia to Asian servers, this is not only for AC or SRS, this is for any realtime gaming.

Exactly! +1
As someone who has raced on SRS for well over 250 races with pings of 230 to the US servers and 340 to the EU servers from Australia, the warping you guys witness isn't caused by sheer millisecond response time, not unless you're operating above 500ms which shouldn't be happening anywhere in the world.

The cause of it is mainly packet loss and unstable connections. AC plays fine with stable pings but with a bit of variance, warping occurs. You can get this even if you're under this arbitrary 150ms limit if you're constantly hopping between 30 and 140 ms ping. If you're on a wireless connection or a weaker connection with bandwidth that is being eaten up by other people using your internet connection, you could be next door to the server and still be warping around.

The fact is that on a service like this with AC's less than ideal netcode, you're going to come across racers who warp. The best way is to play it safe all the time. I've been involved in countless good battles with people across the world on SRS because I'm cautious enough to know where to place my car to avoid contact and even then leave additional room on top of that to account for the ping. I hold a incident rating of just over 2, which is OK for someone often involved in midfield battles and better than many European racers. Good, safe but competitive racecraft can make up for ping differences, and while that can never be guaranteed on SRS, clean online racing is of course the number 1 reason this service exists.

If SRS maybe made it more clear in the rules for those people from outside Europe for the EU servers and outside the Americas on the US servers that they need to be more considerate when racing and maybe have harsher penalties applied if they drive too aggressively, that could help lower some lag related incidents.

Without any closer servers the small but still active Asia/Oceania SRS playerbase would be lost and the US server numbers would be hit hard without people from outside that continent able to join. And in reality not many from outside Europe would join races at peak European hours, so for most people accessing the service in Europe the impact of high pings should be minimal anyway.
I race US servers from the UK with 150ish ping, no problems. I have also been on track with Justin when he's had 230 ping, no problems. No warping or issues driving side by side, sure the car doesn't move as natural aesthetically but meh, I can live with that. Then I've had people with pings that rapidly bounce around between 30-120 and they warp all over the place, one second they're in front of you, the next they're behind and that happens until the inevitable collision happens so kicking people who's ping is above an arbitrary number would do more harm than good... Now if you could just kick those with erratic pings then there would be progress, of course that's never going to happen so this is a moot conversation Smile
The thing that I do not understand is why people with high ping race anyways (this question being somewhat rhetoric).
In other games even 70+ms are deadly. I'm fortunate enougn to have a low ping driving on the EU servers, so I have no experience in driving with latency - is it really no problem for you breaking & turning points?

(08-03-2018, 06:26 PM)Russell Sobie Wrote:  I've mentioned someone warping during practice/qualifying and they kindly enough quit the race.

I was with you that race and wondered that your request did not get denied. Not all heroes wear capes, thanks Russel!
Frankly, I was shocked as well. I wasn't exactly 100% tactful when I requested it. It was something like "Hey [dude's name], your connection is garbage. Consider sitting out?" and he just immediately was like "yeah no problem mate" and poof, he was gone.

I had to pinch myself to make sure that I was awake and still actually on the Internet.