Hello There, Guest! Register

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
False start penalty
Yesterday, I had a bonehead moment at the start of the Genetta race. I qualified first and as the starting lights came on, my foot slipped off the clutch. Thus my car moved and I was given a false start drive through penalty.

I will admit that what I did next was not the best when it comes to sportsmanship. While the lights are still counting down, I decided to take off. I had something like an 11 second lead after the first lap and was able to complete my drive through while retaining first place.

I don't believe a lot of people do what I did, but I do feel like this could be expolited by some. What I propose is that an automatic "3-5 incident penalty" be enforced on anyone who false starts. 

I ended up winning that race, but if I would have been actually penalized, I don't believe I would have. I definitely did not deserve to win the race, granted I had the drive through penalty.
That's unfortunate, but an incident penalty definitely wouldn't work. Many wouldn't care about that and would push the boundaries more and more maybe to the point of playing tricks on the competitors. There has to be a pit penalty in place, if a drive through may not be effective a stop & go surely would.
Yeah, someone in the Toyota race this morning (my time) started from like 10th position and jumped the line and went up the middle. When the lights were out, he was in the lead. The Drive through penalty was enough to make sure he didn't keep the lead, however... but in my opinion that should put him at the very back of the pack. If Stop and Go is an option, I'd rather it be that than just drive through.

I don't think there's a way to stuff incident points, however... I think that is strictly tied to the number of physics objects you collide into with your car.
Tutorial on how to use Autodesk Mudbox and Adobe Photoshop to make custom liveries! https://tinyurl.com/yaetz4qz
Grab my PDash Skins (an Assetto Corsa HUD app) here: https://tinyurl.com/y95ewubz
It's not the first time i see that situation. Maybe configuring jump start penalty as teleport to pits is the solution. Less realistic but more effective.
That would be ideal. And actually... more realistic. People who jump start in video games like the above examples aren't like people who jump start in real life. Those people jump the start by milliseconds, not dozens of seconds. Teleporting people simply "starting early" gets them off the grid and makes them less of a detraction for the rest of us patiently waiting for the lights to actually go out. I've missed a good launch because I was busy watching a guy pass the entire grid before even the last light turned ON!
Tutorial on how to use Autodesk Mudbox and Adobe Photoshop to make custom liveries! https://tinyurl.com/yaetz4qz
Grab my PDash Skins (an Assetto Corsa HUD app) here: https://tinyurl.com/y95ewubz
If drive through is too fast and not severe enough then stop and go should be set. I am not sure if AC server settings allow setting S&G though Sad It may be either frozen (hate that crap) or DT or teleport to pits.

In close racing drive through should be enough, but if you start way too soon then it should be S&G, if you start overly soon then black flag goodbye or points penalty + start restart. There is also a difference between OMG my car moved 0.5m and engine stalled from slipped clutch and I took off 20 seconds in advance just because the system allows me to. Unfortunately I do not think AC server settings can deal with these situations on their own and just having any sort of settings added by Kunos took forever :/ It would probably have to be handled by a custom server app that monitors the time to start, how much you move and then give an appropriate penalty, restart the session if necessary.
I've false started a few times accidentally when the lights stay on longer than expected/normal. In that case I just stop and wait for them to go out, take my drive through and do my best to make up places. I think people who false start early and then just blast around while everyone is still on the grid should be eligible for a protest. Give them a warning for the first time and if they do it again they can enjoy false starting against the AI or on public lobbies as much as they like if you catch my drift Smile
(08-05-2018, 02:04 PM)Will Dawson Wrote:  I've false started a few times accidentally when the lights stay on longer than expected/normal. In that case I just stop and wait for them to go out, take my drive through and do my best to make up places. I think people who false start early and then just blast around while everyone is still on the grid should be eligible for a protest. Give them a warning for the first time and if they do it again they can enjoy false starting against the AI or on public lobbies as much as they like if you catch my drift Smile

There shouldn't be any warning, this kind of stuff has "suspension" written all over it, even the first time. It's just that bad.