Hello There, Guest! Register

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Mazda 787B setups
Ooh I am interested to try Patrick’s setup, thanks for uploading!

I uploaded my Imola setup on thesetupmarket.com recently if anybody is interested in trying a different one, not quite up to Patrick’s pace of 38.0 but have managed to get it down to 38.975 which I was very happy with.
Search for user “Leif” if you can’t find it.

For whoever asked about tyre pressures: aim for 30 front, 32 rear according to sidekick app.
(08-30-2018, 12:27 PM)Patrick Brown Wrote:  I have been asked about my setup a few times, so I thought I'd post my setups I used in the races so far here for anyone interested. Nothing too fancy, less rear wing, adjusted mechanical balance to my taste, but a bit more towards understeer to possibly run a little less wing and to be able to cope with the soft tyres when the rears suddenly fall off after a few laps. Made the aero work closer to the ground and used bumpstops to make sure it doesn't get too low and stall (was mostly needed at spa through eau rouge).

For the front splitter only the 0-2 settings are useful, 0 for low-aero like at monza, 1 and 2 kinda give similar downforce overall, but 2 seems more consistent, with 1 giving more / too much downforce during braking and maybe less on throttle. No idea when you would ever use a 3 or 4 front splitter setting, since they give less downforce than 1 or 2 and just increase drag.

Softs are the only viable tyres for a 20 minute race. Mediums might not have as sudden of drop in grip as the softs do some laps in, but after 20 minutes probably reach a similar wear level and are just overall slower. Hards would probably become viable when the race was at least like double as long or so.

Gears and pressure adjustments for each track, Spa and Mugello setups should otherwise be identical. Monza with low wings obviously. I used 1° more rear wing for a little more stability at Laguna Seca, since the drag penalty is non-existant there with the short straights, same thing at Imola with the straight not being too long there either.

If the setup just feels too unstable, try with 1° more rear wing, you'll be a bit slower on the straights, but it should make it more predictable to drive.

What the crap? I tried one of the setups and got more than a second quicker instantly! It's like magic, this is brilliant! I wish I could set up the cars as well as you do...
Thanks, Patrick!
I'm going to resurrect this old thread to throw in my setup for Le Mans 67 used in the 2020 Mazda 787b 1 hour series (here's a link to the race series discussion for that series' thread, just in case its needed sometime in the future as a reference if this car is used in a new series https://www.simracingsystem.com/showthread.php?tid=9816). I've attached a txt file of my setup to the end of this post, just convert it to an .ini file to use it in AC (I can't upload a .ini file here). I managed to hit a 2:58.459 in qualifying on softs in Saturday's race with it. I could hit laps in the 3:00.XXX in practice on a full tank with hards, I think my best was a 3:00.25 during that practice session.

The setup I attached uses Patrick Brown's Monza setup as the base, which is in the zip file he put up earlier in this thread, with some edits by me for Le Mans. I've adjusted the gearing and tyre pressures, to better optimise them for this track. My setup's tyre pressure are designed for hard tyres, so when using softs lower the psi of all 4 tyres by 1 click (maybe 2 clicks for the right rear tyre). Tyres are very cold due to the long time gaps between braking zones, but the pressures are in the optimal range for the contact patch which from my understanding for AC is more important, I don't think you can avoid cold tyres on this track anyway.

Le Mans is all about top speed, so I reduced the rear wing from 6 to 2 which meant I could hit 350 km/h in free air on the straight. I have not been able to drive the car with RW=0 over a couple of laps, so I had to accept a RW=2. The race is an hour long so I really prefer to have confidence in the car, rather than use something that might be potentially quicker but is one I am very likely to spin out and crash. A RW=2 meant I could take the high speed corners of turn 1 and the last two turns (that S bend) pretty much flat out, maybe a very brief lift if I didn't feel I had the exact right line or balance. I'm pretty certain others have been able to figure out the RW=0 setup, which I'm sure they will share after Sunday's race (or else you're dead to me....  just kidding Tongue ). A RW=0, gets about 353 km/h in free air on the straight, so a car with RW=2 can still keep up and even do some coasting in the slipstream as they can gain that extra speed in the draft. The additional downforce of a RW=2 allows for better exit speed on the corners leading into the straight. This was very helpful on the first few turns before the Mulsanne Straight, so I could get very close to the car ahead and begin slipstreaming right away. It also allowed me to take the right hand before Indianapolis, and that corner itself, at higher speeds so I could catch up again to a car with RW=0 (by 1-3 tenths maybe) and regain the slipstream if I lost it slightly just at the end of Musolanne. The one problem with my setup is, if I mess up a corner badly and lose the slipstream by more than those few tenths, I was unlikely to catch up enough to a car with RW=0 by the time I got to Mulsanne, which is basically game over unless they make a mistake. This might sound like a risky strategy, but for me it wasn't as big a risk as using a RW=0 in my setup that would most likely result in a high speed crash due to the rear getting loose and spinning me out.

I actually used to struggle with RW=2 earlier this week and used more rear wing in my first two races due to that. But I played around with the ride height and packers. I found raising the front height (while keeping the rear very low) and lowering the packers really helped with stability. I also softened the rear suspension slightly, but that was already very soft so I'm not sure if it helped much. Perhaps I should raise the front ride height even more in the setup, maybe then I could use a RW=0 and still have stability in the high speed corners? Maybe I should try something with the bump stop too. Let me know if there is a change I'm missing that could be useful.

(As an aside, Tadej created a setup thread for a Mazda 787b setup he has used in this 2020 series, but that thread had Nordschleife in the headline so to me it sounded confusing to have non Nordschleife setups posted in it. I wanted to put my Le Mans setup here instead since this thread had a more universal title, and since I based my setup off Patrick Brown's, which he posted earlier in this thread. To tie this setup thread with Tadej's one, I'll insert a link to it so it doesn't get disconnected or forgotten about. It seemed quite a few people liked Tadej's setup and set some very good times around the Green Hell with it, so it shouldn't be left out. Link: https://www.simracingsystem.com/showthread.php?tid=9890 )

Attached Files
.txt   PBrownBase_DMacgarryEdit_LeMans67.txt (Size: 1.82 KB / Downloads: 17)
Hello, these are my two setups from yesterdays race at Paul Ricard. Big thanks to Simon Speth for sending me his own setup, i didn't end up using it in a race, but it gave me some ideas how to improve mine.

Attached Files
.txt   qualy_12_12_2020.txt (Size: 1.81 KB / Downloads: 17)
.txt   race_12_12_2020.txt (Size: 1.81 KB / Downloads: 16)
thanks Tadej, works pretty good at Spa for me as well Smile
Amazing list of awesome achievements: 5th Lotus 25 2018, 4th DRM 2019, 5th Williams FW14 vs. Ferrari 643 2019, 3rd Ferrari 312T vs. Lotus 72D 2020
You're welcome. I haven't tried it on Spa yet, but i was thinking about it, it should work pretty good as the tracks are similar, although Spa has more faster corners than Paul Ricard.

Also, if anyone is interested, i did a 1:49:799 lap with this setup: 

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fzn3ULiE...e=youtu.be
(12-13-2020, 10:20 AM)Tadej Župevc Wrote:  Hello, these are my two setups from yesterdays race at Paul Ricard. Big thanks to Simon Speth for sending me his own setup, i didn't end up using it in a race, but it gave me some ideas how to improve mine.
I wasn't going to do Sundays race as I was a bit off pace and didn't want to put the practice in to get a better setup as I hate Paul Ricard. I didn't care that would have cost me a chance at winning the championship, I do this for fun and that track for me is just mind-numbingly the antithesis of fun. However I decided to do the race when you put this setup, as I was immediately a second better with it and could get in the 1:50.XXX with softs. This meant I could compete up top at least to have some enjoyment on that track, major thanks for that.

As Simon just said, I reckon this will be a good setup to initially try for Spa since it has good top speed. I think it will be more important to maximise that for sectors 1 and 3 rather then adding downforce for sector 2. Maybe having more downforce won't have too much of a negative effect in qualifying, but in the races I think its best to have low downforce for high topspeed as it makes overtaking and defending on the long straights much easier. This is partially influenced by my experience at Spa with the Williams FW31 F1 car, that was raced a few months ago on SRS, which also was an hour race. I ran with a relatively medium downforce setting in that race, there was only one race a week for that series. I qualified 4th I think, but was in a huge lap 1 crash at the start of the race which sent me to the back of the grid as I needed to teleport to the pit for major repairs. I managed to make my way back up the grid but once I got back into the top ten, it became impossible for me to ovetake a certain driver on a much lower downforce setup than mine. While I could catch up to that driver in sector 2 (who I out qualified by a good bit from my memory), it was never enough to get close to make an overtake. Then on the straights they just further re-extended their lead as their topspeed was better than mine even when I was slipstreaming. The process would happen over and over again each lap and I ended up making a mistake and spinning out, as I was pushing so much to try and make something happen in the sections that is harder to overtake on.
I tried a few of Tadje's setups yesterday and today. The Nordschleife setup was brilliant in low speed acceleration and grip, also the gearing was spot on. So on the mechanical side an extreme improvement compared to my setup.
However, the aero setting was waay off ... I had so much high speed understeer during the race... so the front splitter setting should always be at 2

Same thing I noticed in spa today with Tadje's paul ricard setup: mecahnically perfekt, just adapted a bit the gearing to fit better for spa and changed the aero... even in paul ricard there is no reason to run with front splitter 2

I would claim that not even in monza I would run splitter 0 ... only at the old le mans Wink
same for me, the suspension part is magic, but the aero is like he's driving a completely different track than I do Smile
Amazing list of awesome achievements: 5th Lotus 25 2018, 4th DRM 2019, 5th Williams FW14 vs. Ferrari 643 2019, 3rd Ferrari 312T vs. Lotus 72D 2020
I felt so good in the race before the pits, it's really really stable (i have to improve the braking at the Bus Stop and La Source, the 2nd lap show this, sorry Simon S. if I blocked you, i had a penalty too). Even with braking power (i think that in english it's like this) set at 96 and brake balance at 58/59 i was struggling on the heavy braking.
I should say that the strategy hard for 40/45 min and soft for 20/15 min was better than hard for all the race. You lose about 6 seconds for it but you will be faster at the end.