Hello There, Guest! Register

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Mazda 787B setups
Hello, this is my qualy setup i used on Spa yesterday.

EDIT: This setup works great on Mosport too, i just lowered tyre pressures at the front by 1 psi.

Attached Files
.txt   qualy_spa.txt (Size: 1.81 KB / Downloads: 7)
(12-06-2020, 12:24 AM)Donnchadh MacGarry Wrote:  The setup I attached uses Patrick Brown's Monza setup as the base, which is in the zip file he put up earlier in this thread, with some edits by me for Le Mans. I've adjusted the gearing and tyre pressures, to better optimise them for this track. My setup's tyre pressure are designed for hard tyres, so when using softs lower the psi of all 4 tyres by 1 click (maybe 2 clicks for the right rear tyre). Tyres are very cold due to the long time gaps between braking zones, but the pressures are in the optimal range for the contact patch which from my understanding for AC is more important, I don't think you can avoid cold tyres on this track anyway.

Le Mans is all about top speed, so I reduced the rear wing from 6 to 2 which meant I could hit 350 km/h in free air on the straight. I have not been able to drive the car with RW=0 over a couple of laps, so I had to accept a RW=2. The race is an hour long so I really prefer to have confidence in the car, rather than use something that might be potentially quicker but is one I am very likely to spin out and crash. A RW=2 meant I could take the high speed corners of turn 1 and the last two turns (that S bend) pretty much flat out, maybe a very brief lift if I didn't feel I had the exact right line or balance. I'm pretty certain others have been able to figure out the RW=0 setup, which I'm sure they will share after Sunday's race (or else you're dead to me....  just kidding Tongue ). A RW=0, gets about 353 km/h in free air on the straight, so a car with RW=2 can still keep up and even do some coasting in the slipstream as they can gain that extra speed in the draft. The additional downforce of a RW=2 allows for better exit speed on the corners leading into the straight. This was very helpful on the first few turns before the Mulsanne Straight, so I could get very close to the car ahead and begin slipstreaming right away. It also allowed me to take the right hand before Indianapolis, and that corner itself, at higher speeds so I could catch up again to a car with RW=0 (by 1-3 tenths maybe) and regain the slipstream if I lost it slightly just at the end of Musolanne. The one problem with my setup is, if I mess up a corner badly and lose the slipstream by more than those few tenths, I was unlikely to catch up enough to a car with RW=0 by the time I got to Mulsanne, which is basically game over unless they make a mistake. This might sound like a risky strategy, but for me it wasn't as big a risk as using a RW=0 in my setup that would most likely result in a high speed crash due to the rear getting loose and spinning me out.

I actually used to struggle with RW=2 earlier this week and used more rear wing in my first two races due to that. But I played around with the ride height and packers. I found raising the front height (while keeping the rear very low) and lowering the packers really helped with stability. I also softened the rear suspension slightly, but that was already very soft so I'm not sure if it helped much. Perhaps I should raise the front ride height even more in the setup, maybe then I could use a RW=0 and still have stability in the high speed corners? Maybe I should try something with the bump stop too. Let me know if there is a change I'm missing that could be useful.
I remembered that I forgot to put up the setup I used for the final race at Le Mans on the Sunday of that week, better late then never I suppose. I maxed out the front ride height as I previously thought I should try out. I then used max packers and minimum bumpstop values. I got this idea from an Austin Ogonoski's hotlap video that he posted that day, where he had messaged in the in-game chat these values to his friend (the video is gone now because he put in an even better time and replaced it with a new video, if you're interested in the new video the link is https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=m9XHOSmK2pM ). He also had values for differential which were pretty close to Patrick Brown's values, so i don't think there was much change in car behavior there. I also reduced camber values to roughly half of what they were, and took out most of the toe in an attempt to get even more straight line speed and reduce tyre wear, but I'm not sure if that helped much to be honest. 

Its incredible how stable all this made the car on the high speed corners, even with a RW=0 or RW=1, I didn't feel like I would spin out unless I did something stupid. With these changes, I could hit a 2:57.XXX in qualy on softs using a RW=0 setting (I can't remember the exact time and can no longer look it up). In the race on hard tyres and starting with a full tank, I was often hitting 2:59.XXX, where I used a RW=1 setting just to be a bit safe on the final two turns (that S part). I could very briefly hit 358km/h on the straight even with a RW=1. I seem to remember RW=1 would only lose at most 0.15s on the straight, which was worth the sacrifice of being completely confident in taking the final two turns flat out for the whole race, which I could easily do even when my line was a bit poor and I ran over the edge of the track. Even though the series is done now, I would highly recommend giving it a try for a few laps just to see how nice the car is to drive with this setup.

Attached Files
.txt   PBrownBase_AOgonoskiMix_DMacgarryEdit_LeMans67.txt (Size: 1.81 KB / Downloads: 3)