Hello There, Guest! Register

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Fixed vs Open setup comparison
but the T98 had rating limit but still totaly unacteptable behavior on track of too much participants, destroying races to people taking it seriosly
98T is a handful you either fly or you die.

A 312T is more fun to me, more manageable.
(07-29-2018, 01:41 PM)Michal Janak Wrote:  but the T98 had rating limit but still totaly unacteptable behavior on track of too much participants, destroying races to people taking it seriosly

Just like iRacing. The highest SOF races can sometimes become the most ridiculous showings you'll ever see in all of sim racing. So the poor quality of racing is more often an ego and respect issue rather than lack of skill.

A license system would then be uneffective, unless it's made in a way that it would have to be really hard to get promoted and quite easy to get demoted, another aspect iRacing failed completely IMO. Harsher penalties and suspensions would help improve the quality across the board.
Back on topic, fixed series are for those who don't want or have time to practice, but also for many who have time to practice and do practice but can't do setups because they lack will, knowledge or both. I belong in the latter category, I've always practiced long enough for any fixed races I've ever run in any sim, I can make a setup but I often don't have that extra time to do it, or don't want to put the effort in it, but it doesn't mean I'll find myself unprepared come race time...if anything, practicing for a fixed race allows me to focus more on my driving instead of wasting time trial-erroring in the garage, so it's almost like I'm more prepared than I'd be in an open race. I'm sure a lot of people among those who run fixed have that same approach and the same reasons behind that choice, so I think having fixed series is a good thing. Running open doesn't mean people are forced to practice more thus be ideally more prepared, because many will just download a set or run with the baseline if they don't want to practice. IMO the quality of racing has nothing to do with it being open or fixed.
Problem is the default setups are often atrocious for racing :/ Handicapping the car to be slower and very understeery. Sure if one doesn't know what they want setup wise it will take them years to find out. For the rest a quick baseline takes 1-5min to click in the menu, often I don't even drive the default setups and click in what I want right away, although some specific cars have certain tricks to make them driveable for those it's better to drive the default first and then make changes so one can see what oddities they had to setup to make the car usable at all, this is for unbalanced cars with poor steering or too oversteery, or with wide toe changes from suspension travel causing both and so on, aka poorly made ("accurately" replicated by Kunos that the issue is also present on the sim car) often old cars (<90s).