Hello There, Guest! Register

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Speedtest Server
I wonder which server to choose to try imitating my ping on SRS servers. I don't even know where it is on the globe. Any idea from anyone? Admin?

Probably a good thread to post your screenshots too if only we know and use one server near, if not exactly the SRS servers.
There is a flag on the first row of each series table from the race page or daily schedule.

Germany & USA
Thanks Admin! I tried a random US server and got 170 ping which maybe close to my normal 180 ping in SRS servers when racing in US servers races. Then I tried a random German server and got 308 ping.
Beware when testing US, there is a big difference between east and west coast. You would have to check the SRS server IP and look up where it is located on map physically what country/state/city. Then test to that country/state/city.
Most EU servers usually run around Germany, France, NL, CZ, ... the latency differs very little as it's all relatively close physically.

In general SEA is better connected to west coast US than to EU. Asia, SEA, AU/NZ etc. has often very poor connection to Europe. AU/NZ being the worst as it's literally on other side of globe with longest physical distance to travel and cables don't exactly run straight either making the straight line 20000km distance even longer when it's zigzagged.
I was kinda hoping that SRS itself can host it for the users. I mean the testing. It's not like a thousand users will use it daily and saturate the servers. But it's okay though. I only intend to use it once and I think I cannot improve my ping anymore. I was just curious because I changed ISP just last Monday. 2X faster VS my old one so I was eager to test. No luck. All I got was faster download/upload speeds but still the same old ping. I'm not looking at below 100s but a little improvement would make my day. But not.
Different ISP or plan can offer you better speeds but unless the ISP really sucked your latencies are not going to change. Only if the ISP was overloaded or had otherwise poor infrastructure (as used to be the case 1-2 decades ago) that could cause latency spikes due to bottlenecking in their network, then you could see a latency improvement mostly in consistency by changing an ISP.

Latency is often more or less locked to physical location.

If your local (in country) latency is around 10ms then there is nothing much you can do to improve latency wise by changing ISPs. All the ISPs are often connected to the same national and international networks.
Yeah if you are looking at latency to a far off location, the difference between different local ISP's probably isn't going to be more than a few percent overall cos the large part of the rest of the route will probably have a pretty constant latency determined by the sheer fact of the large distance to be covered.

edit: I am in UK on 200/20 connection (actually tests at 230/23) and get around 40-50 ping to the German SRS servers and when on the USA I have around 120-150 ping.
(07-14-2018, 04:57 PM)Alex Leif Wrote:  Yeah if you are looking at latency to a far off location, the difference between different local ISP's probably isn't going to be more than a few percent overall cos the large part of the rest of the route will probably have a pretty constant latency determined by the sheer fact of the large distance to be covered.

edit: I am in UK on 200/20 connection (actually tests at 230/23) and get around 40-50 ping to the German SRS servers and when on the USA I have around 120-150 ping.

I'm in the USA on East coast with 120 ping to servers outside of USA (40 ping inside) seems to be stable enough @ 120 but definitely get the awkward front to back surges when racing side by side in the str8...don't know if it's them or me.
(07-15-2018, 12:12 PM)Michael Butler Wrote:  
(07-14-2018, 04:57 PM)Alex Leif Wrote:  Yeah if you are looking at latency to a far off location, the difference between different local ISP's probably isn't going to be more than a few percent overall cos the large part of the rest of the route will probably have a pretty constant latency determined by the sheer fact of the large distance to be covered.

I'm in the USA on East coast with 120 ping to servers outside of USA (40 ping inside) seems to be stable enough @ 120 but definitely get the awkward front to back surges when racing side by side in the str8...don't know if it's them or me.

If the opponents lantency is sub 50ms then it's likely you. Even at 100ms AC is pretty damn awful with these lags causing warping/teleporting be it in corners or on straights.

For me:
EU: Amsterdam 27ms, London 38ms, Rome 42ms, Athens 43ms, Helsinki 45ms, Lisbon (aka the land of atrocious and censored internet) 58ms, Reykjavik 68ms
NA: east to west coast: NYC 102ms, Montreal 106ms, Atlanta 127ms, Chicago+Dallas 135ms, San Jose 166ms, LA+Vancouver 167ms, Seattle 181ms, Honolulu 220ms.
SA: Santiago 185ms, Rio de Janeiro 221ms (closer but worse latencies because Brazil...)
Asia: Hong Kong 227ms, Tokyo 251ms, Chengdu 274ms, Taipei 300ms, Sydney 320ms (yeah AU sucks internet wise, it is known), Auckland 300ms

EU - NA, barely playable, east coast is borderline acceptable, west coast can be quite bad
EU - SA, forget it
EU - Asia, only in your dreams