Hello There, Guest! Register

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Current SEAT TCR series after car update
(07-12-2018, 02:12 PM)Michael Butler Wrote:  you can time the slowdowns accordingly with the next available section of track that lessens the severity of the penalty (5 secs. no throttle), you have till the start/finish line to serve the penalty and to try to serve it immediately is the stupid part.

You didn't understand me, I don't like slowdowns because of people that you encounter stopped on the track.
Even if they do the slowdown properly, I don't know if they had a penalty, or if they saw an accident ahead of them.
(07-12-2018, 05:52 PM)Alex Leif Wrote:  Yep there are some tracks you can easily take 5s penalty without really losing time, or even 10s if the car has a long brake distance. Imola for example you just lift into Rivazza 1 and you can clear a penalty no problem. Lifting immediately after getting a penalty is never a good idea unless you just cut the last corner of the track lol.

I think I saw a an Imola chicane cut penalty give 2sec on Imola, it's a useless penalty there. You lift off and coast, doesn't cost almost any time.

The penalty system has been broken since they made it, they don't care to fix it. It has to be done via server apps :/

Same here, a slow car on track you get yellow flags from AC, you can't always see if there is an issue in front of them and you should slow down too, etc. That's why all the penalties should be served in pits to avoid further collisions and unsafe situations on track.

I have no idea after what Kunos modeled these silly on track timed slow down penalties. If they wanted to do time penalties, just add 10sec to the car's race time and then adjust finishing positions accordingly.
That's my biggest problem with slow down penalties is that it combines a whole lot of things together that make a giant section of the track around the penalized a huge danger zone. First, the driver getting penalized is likely screaming at their display ("WTF I did not go off track!" or "WTF I didn't gain any time outside of avoiding that certain wreck!" or "WTF I hate slow down penalties on principle!"). Secondly, because they are likely now distracted, they will no longer be watching what is in front of them or behind them. Thirdly, they will be compelled to immediately get the giant red text off the top of their screen and lift or stop right where they are... typically in the racing line. Combine all of these together and the potential for carnage is way higher than it ever should be.

Recently I avoided a wreck at Monza at a chicane and very clearly did not go through there faster overall than I would have being able to stay between the white lines, and I got one of those 20 second penalties that does not go away immediately if you come to a complete stop. I kept my head and continued on, but to avoid getting DQed I had to become a giant road block through the final turn at Monza (a fast right hander). Pretty sure I made multiple drivers passing me shit themselves as they adjusted and drove around (thankfully). It was either that or I get disqualified? Horrible choice.

I would love if SRS switched over to using some other form of penalty system which is not only not abuse-able, but also a bit more accurate insofar as what is actually a track cut (i.e. an alternate line that actually saves time and/or tire wear more than staying on track would).

Edit: /\/\/\/\ Kunos designed it the way they did so they could have an immediately imposed penalty on drivers that would be clear about final position at the end on public servers. It is understandable... not all that well designed, but trying to get pubbies to go through pit to serve a penalty OR having them understand that they didn't actually win the race because they cut every chicane and now have a 2 minuted per lap time penalty is basically like herding cats. For any sort of organized racing, however... it's garbage. SRS may not be 100% "League Racing" it is not even close to as bad as a default public server.
Tutorial on how to use Autodesk Mudbox and Adobe Photoshop to make custom liveries! https://tinyurl.com/yaetz4qz
Grab my PDash Skins (an Assetto Corsa HUD app) here: https://tinyurl.com/y95ewubz
(07-13-2018, 12:32 PM)Russell Sobie Wrote:  I would love if SRS switched over to using some other form of penalty system which is not only not abuse-able, but also a bit more accurate insofar as what is actually a track cut (i.e. an alternate line that actually saves time and/or tire wear more than staying on track would).

Yeah, that would be great, but assetto doesn't provide other sanctions, as other games do, that you can choose when you configure the server, so it musn't be easy.

On raceroom are there other options ? I don't understand very well how they do here, but it seems to work better than Assetto, I guess the reduce your available power
I think LFS only ever had DT, SG, SG timed? And timed penalties.

Quote:Pit lane speed limits of 80 km/h (50 mph) are enforced by penalties similar to those seen in real motorsport, including drive-through, stop and go, or time penalties.

And I don't remember newbies having an issue with it or not understand it and even if they do the first time at least they learn for second time that they should not cut or otherwise get a penalty and if they do that they need to serve it not ignore it and get black flagged or DQed at the end.

Some games had a power limit as a penalty I believe but it was some arcades or similar.

AC relies heavily on modding be it client side for content and apps but also for anything organized, for launcher, for server apps and for penalties :/
With AC you get a base "renderer+ physics simulator" that's kind of it, the rest you spend money on buying content for it or getting community made content. No website such as LFSworld with tons of features, almost non existent league support, no driver swapping, no spectating, nothing. It all has to be made outside AC or as an app for it. There is some documentation for making apps I believe but if it's anything as "well" documented as their other modding then it's no better/easier than making apps for LFS and other sims.

There are some people and communities such as SRS, x4fab? (CM and so on), ..., that invest a lot in improving AC via various means to try and remove it's biggest shortcomings that could have often been easily avoided by developers long ago.

I don't have any of my own server or client apps for AC to help out, making car mods physics is complex enough of a time killer. It's not even making the apps that is difficult, it's getting the APIs if documented at all to actually work the way they are advertised to, having a server to test on, knowing what data you can get through each API as AC has multiple as far as I know, then each month tracking for any changes in APIs with new versions as developers in general do not give one bit of care to try and not break existing compatibility with existing apps. Done this with LFS app by continuing, fixing, maintaining LFS statistics (sort of what you see on SRS web race results but with much more detail and graphs spanning several tabbed pages), and it's a nightmare to deal with the APIs, their documentation, lack of working examples, changes in APIs and bugs.

Maybe someone knows of a server app that replaces these penalties, I would be surprised if someone didn't make it already but it may be stuck in other big app with other functionality.
I've only moderated a server a while but don't set them up or run them. And I even can't run a local server since AC cannot do NAT tunneling so that the server is discoverable via the master server list, yay, no NAT tunneling/traversing/hole punching https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/NAT_traversal crazy to not have that for an online application as almost everyone is behind a NAT these days with no chance of getting a public IP (IPv4) certainly not for free as they sold out decade or more ago. Yeah you need a public IP to be able to run AC server otherwise you're screwed.