Hello There, Guest! Register

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Blue Flag on last lap? What to do?!
Yeah, the one instance I remember being on a server with such a system it kicked me after like 2 seconds of having a blue flag... and I was in the middle of a chicane when it came on. So of course the guy didn't get by me in time and BOOT. So such a thing would not fit in here.

It is sort of a Catch 22, really. The folks that are typically going to be back markers are also the folks that likely pay less attention to the state of the race around them (i.e. exiting the pits into the front runner group in your example). And these are also going to be the same folks that don't actually read these forums, so by and large this entire thread is a waste of everyone's time. Oh well!
Tutorial on how to use Autodesk Mudbox and Adobe Photoshop to make custom liveries! https://tinyurl.com/yaetz4qz
Grab my PDash Skins (an Assetto Corsa HUD app) here: https://tinyurl.com/y95ewubz
Quote:Lapping

L-1: It is a fundamental rule of motorsport and sim racing that when a driver receives a blue flag, this is to let the driver know that a faster car is about to overtake and put that driver a lap down.
L-2: The driver that is overtaking/lapping the slower car must treat the situation as though a normal competitor is being overtaken - and not assume the lapped driver should leap out of the way at all costs.
L-3: The driver that is being lapped should let the lead driver past and/or not resist to be overtaken. Only move out of the way for the lead driver when you believe it is safe to do so. For example, not on the apex of a corner.
https://web.archive.org/web/201607010232...ean_Racing
This has been around for decades yet SRS does not include even these basic CRC rules for some reason.

How to behave under blue? Don't panic, don't defend, don't slow down when a car is right behind you, if you're already being overtaken and the car is by your side not behind you then you can reduce your throttle a little to let them pass more safely if it helps the track situation, don't forget to brake early as many people like to plow and wreck when being overtaken under blue either forget to brake or are trying to copy the faster driver's line and brake points or simply "revenge".

Be predictable above all, if you see the car behind you is positioning themselves for inner line then leave them inner line free to use, if outside line then the outside one. Brake earlier accordingly so that you stay in control and in your line.

If a group of cars is about to pass you then try to let them all pass.

Usually the problem with blue flagged cars is that they are driven by very inexperienced drivers who won't read this thread anyway, they can barely control the car let alone learn to use mirrors or see the tiny flags in AC in a corner. Often they don't even know they are being overtaken let alone that they are under blue.

The auto kick blue flag is well suitable for sprint races as you should not get blue flagged in races under 1 hour. If you do then it's best for you to practice more offline first and your race is over anyway, should have pitted and DNF.
A few more detailed rules about blue flags wouldn't hurt, but I don't agree having some auto kick feature would be a good match for SRS, as I stated above. I also don't agree that "your race is over anyway" if you happen to get lapped... not everyone here is only sticking around because they think they have a shot at a podium every race. Some of us just like racing in general, you know.
Tutorial on how to use Autodesk Mudbox and Adobe Photoshop to make custom liveries! https://tinyurl.com/yaetz4qz
Grab my PDash Skins (an Assetto Corsa HUD app) here: https://tinyurl.com/y95ewubz
Did someone successfully won a protest against drivers non respecting blue flags? The few other drivers i talked to all got "racing incidents" when they filled a form.
I agree that an auto kick system wouldn't be good for SRS because it's not designed just for the hardcore sim racers.

I do think there could be a page containing racing rules and guidelines that pop up after you make an account. Sure some people would ignore it but at least then you've given them a chance to learn... As the saying goes "You can lead a horse to water but you can;t make it drink."
The CRC rules are a good summarized start for rules that have been used for decades in simracing. League racing rules are often an expanded derivative of them.
Something like that should be in the SRS regulations here: http://www.simracingsystem.com/regulation.php and new users forwarded to this page after log in.
(06-18-2018, 02:35 AM)Russell Sobie Wrote:  A few more detailed rules about blue flags wouldn't hurt, but I don't agree having some auto kick feature would be a good match for SRS, as I stated above. I also don't agree that "your race is over anyway" if you happen to get lapped... not everyone here is only sticking around because they think they have a shot at a podium every race. Some of us just like racing in general, you know.
I had a case where I got hit by a spinning Praga and after pit repairs ended up lapped by P1. Followed him through the rest of the race and finished 8th.
I completely agree with Russell and Will
(06-18-2018, 02:35 AM)Russell Sobie Wrote:  A few more detailed rules about blue flags wouldn't hurt, but I don't agree having some auto kick feature would be a good match for SRS, as I stated above. I also don't agree that "your race is over anyway" if you happen to get lapped... not everyone here is only sticking around because they think they have a shot at a podium every race. Some of us just like racing in general, you know.

(06-18-2018, 09:34 AM)Will Dawson Wrote:  I agree that an auto kick system wouldn't be good for SRS because it's not designed just for the hardcore sim racers.

I do think there could be a page containing racing rules and guidelines that pop up after you make an account. Sure some people would ignore it but at least then you've given them a chance to learn... As the saying goes "You can lead a horse to water but you can;t make it drink."

I race because I love to race, as someone who gets lapped often, but not every time, I allow a blue flag through and last race it even cost me a spot as another racer slipped past also.