Hello There, Guest! Register

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
GT3 races (and others)
Hi, the thing i want to talk about with you is that a lot of series is done with some sort of higher tyre degradation and fuel consumption. The original goal i think was, that the races should be more exciting by doing this, but in reality this is not the situation, the only viable strategy is (for GT3) that you start with almost full tank and medium tyres (meds onwards) and then approximately at 30 mins remaining, coming out to pit for the same things that you started with, so meds and full tank. In the past, races could be done with softs or meds and full or half tank (with fueling in pits of course) because the degradation and the consumption were 100% real. So there's no point in making races with these kind of scalings. A very good example is todays race for me, because a guy in front couldn't keep it together at 220 kph and i ran into him, therefore my windscreen was like a spiders web for half the distance. Why? because if i went to the pits (this happened like 10 minutes into the race) i couldn't have finish the race because my tank was filled up way too much for the amount that i would have put in it so i had to go another 20 mins with the crashed windscreen before my tank had enough space to put in the planned amount of fuel. On the other hand if the above mentioned things were 100% scale i could have go to the pit to repair, change tyres, refuel whatever but i couldn't because with the scalings i would have had to pit twice. So if any admin reads this, please don't make any scalings for the 1-hour races in the future, it's just not realistic. By the way the next 1-hour race serie could be something without ABS, maybe GT2/GTE.
Thanks for reading.
it's true most people will go for 2 med and lots of fuel at the start, but there are other strategies possible. Yesterday (also many other races) i went for two stints in soft on Silverstone and won, it's very difficult but can be rewarded, you have to be constantly aware how much strain you put on your tyres (so more like in real) and know the last 10m of each stints are going to be difficult, to say the least. Also one med for 40 min +20 min soft can be done on most circuits. 2 pits even works, you just have to manage to be at least 1s faster a lap on a typical race of 40 laps, while being a lot less loaded in fuel and having the best life of each soft tyre sets.

In my opinion it's the right balance for tyres and fuel, you really have to understand what are the +/- of each cars when it comes to fuel consumption, tyres, consistency and many other parameters. Maybe 150 tyre rate could make it a little more open to these strategies.
First of all for a 1-hour race 2 pit stops is not real, the 40 + 20 min , now with the AMG i could do that on Okayama because that track consumed the least fuel, but on other tracks only 2 meds and approx. 2x 100l fuel is the best, therefore the weight of my car is greater than others and i consume more, at Road America more than approx. 6,5 l per lap is the average, so it is not realistic, the weight/ consumption ratio is ridiculous for all. The race can be done with 1 or 2 different strategies, but it is non sense, with 100 % you get the same result and by the way with the tyre degradation the grip doesn't rise so if in normal situation you'd go with meds all the way, with the increased deg. you can't choose the hard because it's even worse than at 100%, so you have to choose the meds (or softs) and still have to pit once or twice which is again, not realistic, there's just no point in upscaling, it's not harder than 100% things, it's only good for reducing the number of strategies.
I think the only way to open up more strategy options in the one-hour races would be to increase the tyre degradation even further. Then you know you're going to have to stop more times for tyres and so you're more open to play around with fuel levels.

Just my opinion.
during GT1 we had 200% tyre usage (2 runs with hard tyres) - the pit strategy on the GT3 races (170%) is the same (only diff tyres)
the intention of 170% was - as far i understood - to open a soft tyre strategy - but this does not work
maybe in the next session we get 150% or between 170% and 200% to play between 2 diff tyres
if we go above 200% (not sure which value) we could have 2 pit stops

Ciao
Peter
Maybe nothing should be changed and should be left at the original value. The other option is that the degradation can be changed, but not the consumption, changing the deg. still doesn't make any sense but the fuel consumption increase is just simply bad. In a 1 hour race changing tyres 2 or 3 times is ridiculous in my opinion, months ago with the Porsche RSR there wasn't anything like that, you only had time to pit between 35 mins and 25 mins remaining, so a 10-minute window (like IRL Blancpain GT), and it could be done with mediums and putting only 1 l fuel at the stop or the other strat.: twice softs and half tank. On top of that in 1hour there isn't much time to different strategies only these two, there's always these two but with the scalings it's bad.
(06-12-2018, 11:09 PM)Zoltan Marton Wrote:  First of all for a 1-hour race 2 pit stops is not real, the 40 + 20 min , now with the AMG i could do that on Okayama because that track consumed the least fuel, but on other tracks only 2 meds and approx. 2x 100l fuel is the best, therefore the weight of my car is greater than others and i consume more, at Road America more than approx. 6,5 l per lap is the average, so it is not realistic, the weight/ consumption ratio is ridiculous for all. The race can be done with 1 or 2 different strategies, but it is non sense, with 100 % you get the same result and by the way with the tyre degradation the grip doesn't rise so if in normal situation you'd go with meds all the way, with the increased deg. you can't choose the hard because it's even worse than at 100%, so you have to choose the meds (or softs) and still have to pit once or twice which is again, not realistic, there's just no point in upscaling, it's not harder than 100% things, it's  only good for reducing the number of strategies.

Of course fuel consumption doesn't look real, but we have to speed up things in order to simulate somehow what looks like a driver two stints in an endurance race. I doubt a lot of people would be down to participate even in just +2h races. The past 100 rate races here were always the same strategy but even worse, people were just going to the pit to add 1l of fuel when ever they wanted in hard/med tyres. If you come back to this, we all fill up the tank and do the 1l pit.
In the 1h simpit series last time i stumbled on the stream they didn't even go the pit, which removes an element of the race, making the decision exactly when to pit, trying to forsee where you come back in the pack and how you pit entry/exit, etc.. At 200 fuel rate you are forced to pit and actually refuel, but since you are more loaded than you would normally be, to me it makes sense to have a bit less tyre wear.
That's exactly why i said that in 1 hour races there isn't much time to different strategies, generally endurance races start at 3 hour long races (or 160 minutes in IMSA) and each driver drives for 1 and half hour average. Just because those things speed up it's still one hour, that's why the Blancpain GT sprint system was good.
It's been a great season guys, this is for the first time ever I follow the full season schedule on SRS (GT3 Asia). Started from first round at Okayama to final series at Road America, for me this is a great experience having race with you all. Still haven't won any races so far though, I am keep fighting for it. Finished 4th in final standings of GT3 Asia is quite achievement for me, regarding I entered the world of simracing just less than one year. Thank you for having me join this community, guys. Hopefully there will be another exciting series to come. See you next season!

#WeAreSimRacing

Greetings from Indonesia!
Terima Kasih (Thank You)
(06-12-2018, 09:51 PM)Well, its not perfect, but better than hard tyres the whole race and 1l fuel in the pit.My opinion.ErikZoltan Marton Wrote:  Hi, the thing i want to talk about with you is that a lot of series is done with some sort of higher tyre degradation and fuel consumption. The original goal i think was, that the races should be more exciting by doing this, but in reality this is not the situation, the only viable strategy is (for GT3) that you start with almost full tank and medium tyres (meds onwards) and then approximately at 30 mins remaining, coming out to pit for the same things that you started with, so meds and full tank. In the past, races could be done with softs or meds and full or half tank (with fueling in pits of course) because the degradation and the consumption were 100% real. So there's no point in making races with these kind of scalings. A very good example is todays race for me, because a guy in front couldn't keep it together at 220 kph and i ran into him, therefore my windscreen was like a spiders web for half the distance. Why? because if i went to the pits (this happened like 10 minutes into the race) i couldn't have finish the race because my tank was filled up way too much for the amount that i would have put in it so i had to go another 20 mins with the crashed windscreen before my tank had enough space to put in the planned amount of fuel. On the other hand if the above mentioned things were 100% scale i could have go to the pit to repair, change tyres, refuel whatever but i couldn't because with the scalings i would have had to pit twice. So if any admin reads this, please don't make any scalings for the 1-hour races in the future, it's just not realistic. By the way the next 1-hour race serie could be something without ABS, maybe GT2/GTE.
Thanks for reading.