Hello There, Guest! Register

Thread Rating:
  • 2 Vote(s) - 3 Average
Latency limits
Okay, firstly... you sound like the kind of person that knows at least a little something about something. Turns out though... a whole lot of people on here do too, so maybe lose the know-it-all attitude and have an adult conversation with other humans on the forums.

Secondly, If there are 23 cars on the server, and I have a 200 ping, and only one of them is warping and he's got a 50 ping... that's not me. That's the guy with the shitty connection that happens to have a low ping. Putting a clamp on ping is just a waste of time for Assetto Corsa. It would only penalize NA drivers like myself who enjoy racing Euros (or non-NA drivers that frequently enjoy races on NA servers) for no good reason, and will only occasionally prevent someone with a poor connection from racing. Furthermore, I'm pretty sure we'd rather have full servers than mostly empty servers with nothing but people with tiny pings. If someone is warping around you in a race and causes you to wreck in an SRS race, record it and report it using the protest form if you feel it will help matters.

Going by what the SRSTV car sees (which is what is streamed to Youtube) might not be the best place to look. For all you know, the SRSTV client is the one that has the garbage connection to the server. Things happen, you know!

And finally... maybe participate in more than a handful of races before you start multiple campaigns to change how things are currently run on SRS. It is essentially one evil genius that runs this place as far as I can tell, and he does an amazing job (especially given the general entitlement displayed in a number of threads that crop up on occasion).

Hope to see you out there soon!
Tutorial on how to use Autodesk Mudbox and Adobe Photoshop to make custom liveries! https://tinyurl.com/yaetz4qz
Grab my PDash Skins (an Assetto Corsa HUD app) here: https://tinyurl.com/y95ewubz
Quote:Secondly, If there are 23 cars on the server, and I have a 200 ping, and only one of them is warping and he's got a 50 ping... that's not me. That's the guy with the shitty connection that happens to have a low ping. Putting a clamp on ping is just a waste of time for Assetto Corsa. It would only penalize NA drivers like myself who enjoy racing Euros (or non-NA drivers that frequently enjoy races on NA servers) for no good reason, and will only occasionally prevent someone with a poor connection from racing. Furthermore, I'm pretty sure we'd rather have full servers than mostly empty servers with nothing but people with tiny pings. If someone is warping around you in a race and causes you to wreck in an SRS race, record it and report it using the protest form if you feel it will help matters.
200 ping is not so bad. I`ve seen plenty of NA folks race with it no problem because quality of connection is good. If you say ping clamp is a waste of time then we let in 300-600 pings aswell and see things "fly".
If I was to report every dangerous warping in races, I`d have to post 3-4 protests weekly, not counting the real incidents. Do you think that is a good way to go for clearing the issue, especially given that SRS is run by few people who do all the job for us?

Quote:And finally... maybe participate in more than a handful of races before you start multiple campaigns to change how things are currently run on SRS. It is essentially one evil genius that runs this place as far as I can tell, and he does an amazing job (especially given the general entitlement displayed in a number of threads that crop up on occasion).
I`m fairly sure a good number of SRS players have literally hundreds of pub races behind them. AC is not a young sim you know.
As far as I know, there isn't any ping restriction, so we already let in 300-600 pings. I agree that getting up to quarter of a second ping times you'll likely see not-so-great results (maybe even some warping), but I can't say that I've seen folks using dial up in any SRS races so far. Big Grin

For the reporting warping issues... that's specifically what SRSAdmin has asked us to do when it causes a problem (somewhere on these forums; unable to locate it easily at present). If you are seeing 3-4 instances of warping that is actually hindering your ability to cleanly race, then yes. I hope you to report all of them. I get the notion that SRSAdmin doesn't mind doling out justice after watching hundreds of protest videos, otherwise I think he would have come up with something better than having to do that part of administration.

Is it a pain in the ass to make a protest video and go through the process of doing the report? Yes. I guess if anything perhaps I would suggest for warping incidents there is a special way to report them which is literally "This driver was warping during the race" which does not require a video link. And then if like 5+ people report them in this way for a specific race, they get warned/suspended/banned depending on how often that happens. Or something more clever than that, ideally.
Tutorial on how to use Autodesk Mudbox and Adobe Photoshop to make custom liveries! https://tinyurl.com/yaetz4qz
Grab my PDash Skins (an Assetto Corsa HUD app) here: https://tinyurl.com/y95ewubz
You can also just watch some SRS videos that they recorded themselves... it's ridiculous at times with the latencies:

https://youtu.be/KY9gQq1q7YU?t=16m41s

SRS Live Now! MK-MotorsportDTM90 @ Zandvoort 00:00GMT 2018-06-30
16:42 yellow Alfa should hit wall but is in lag and does not, 16:44 drives out of track fast on top of screen, that is one hell of a lag but more importantly bad connection quality with huge spikes.

A server app can read the AC lantencies and take care of all this automatically. Some public servers do just that. Some people simply have no sense and play at latencies that are not suitable for online gaming, choose a server closer to you at <100ms at the least for any racing, you and others you race with will have a much better experience.
Latency is a terrible thing in sim racing, even the best connections have trouble, glitches, sudden disconnections from time to time. Not to mention server issues, they are real trust me. When every driver disappears and all experience it, it would happen daily causing pile ups on the starting grid.....and only at the start of the race, if you survived, then the rest of the race was fine....I've had random disconnections where the cars disappear, fly, plow into the back of me like they never braked at all... for as much as 5 secs. and reappear and then be fine, sometimes 2-3 times a race, sometimes it never comes back and i go a lap down....shit happens....I'm never over 150 ping anywhere in the world, so there are many other factors. Keep in mind that I've seen a lot of races here (750) and my connection is considered decent 70/5  USA but i still have trouble periodically. I never hear anyone complain that i warp. I would want someone to tell me if i did.
I've had so far only 1 instance where the SRS server seemed bogged down on a session start when it was running 4 servers at the same time for that series, making all people go into 150ms when they otherwise are around 25ms. It went away after a short while (a minute?) probably as the server managed to process all it's running servers and connections. My bet would be SRS runs all servers at the same time instead of making them say 2-5min apart to avoid load spikes when people mass connect, sessions start, etc. Load balancing.

On public servers... not really a big issue on most with latencies, people are more sensible where they connect, some servers kick them and that helps them to learn that connecting from Australia, South America and such to European located servers is an awful idea. I mean it's fine if you play chess but not for racing. And the same goes vice versa Europeans connecting to western US , AU , Brazilian, ... servers is a bad idea.
There are a lot of EU regions that they don't have good connection or they have DSL connection, in rural zones, etc... if you apply that, you would ban a lot of EU users too, not only from Asia or America, for example, i'm from the south of Spain and i have a DSL connection of 6 MB of bandwith, my stable ping in SRS servers of Holland or Germany are of 90-120 ms...If you want connections without ping and to be competitive can you opt for iracing and pay 200 or 300 $ for it if you want, but SRS is free, what that you expect? is FREE!!
? Most of EU is under 100ms easily. Even the crappiest countries have 70ms max. Unless your connection is utter rubbish.

3.5MB/s, many wireless hops done by ISP and the latency is still 10ms in country.

150ms is not that low of a limit to exclude EU people, it's for safety and enjoyment, having less warping and wrecking, public servers already use latency limits yet SRS does not. It helps a lot, it's easy to do.
iRacing is rubbish, Americans can keep that subscription thing.

Yes there are indeed some people from EU who do not close their background downloads or their connection is otherwise very unstable causing mass collisions on track after starts. Why should these not be limited out until they sort out their connection to be good enough for online gaming and reduce the mass warping and wrecking issues?
(07-22-2018, 11:59 AM)Jaroslav Černý Wrote:  ? Most of EU is under 100ms easily. Even the crappiest countries have 70ms max. Unless your connection is utter rubbish.

3.5MB/s, many wireless hops done by ISP and the latency is still 10ms in country.

150ms is not that low of a limit to exclude EU people, it's for safety and enjoyment, having less warping and wrecking, public servers already use latency limits yet SRS does  not. It helps a lot, it's easy to do.
iRacing is rubbish, Americans can keep that subscription thing.

Yes there are indeed some people from EU who do not close their background downloads or their connection is otherwise very unstable causing mass collisions on track after starts. Why should these not be limited out until they sort out their connection to be good enough for online gaming and reduce the mass warping and wrecking issues?
Yes, my connection is rubbish, i live at rural zone, like a lot of european people, i can run with 120 without problems, seeing your AVG ratio i don't know what is your problem, 0.273, 113 of global ranking... what do you want, bro? running alone? In Central Europe maybe you have less ping because all the servers are in Germany or Holland, but Europe is bigger than that.
That the servers on SRS be at least as clean as public servers, not worse. Watch replays SRS has on YouTube, it's very easy to find lags, warping, teleporting there causing mass wrecks on race starts.
Watch top of screen right after race start... https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xaDNVfJOuNw
And this happens every day because someone with a connection not suitable for online gaming connects to the server and is not auto kicked out as they would be on decent public servers nowadays.

Sure it may not always impact me personally, but I do still make an effort not to race with extreme laggers and wreckers. The racing you can have with low latency opponents is another level, bumper to bumper racing with no incident contacts, no warping and teleporting that would explode the cars apart.

If you have 120ms in Spain, then you have about 60ms loss with your ISP. It's 59ms to Malaga for me from middle of nowhere rural small town with ISP using wireless connections to even be able to connect these rural towns as there are no optic cables to every tiny town or such, certainly not at affordable prices even for ISPs if there are any at all. Sure it's not always easy to find a good ISP, but there always are a few around and if not then it's actually profitable to be one.