Hello There, Guest! Register

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
GT3 1 hour racing
(05-12-2018, 08:19 PM)Michael Martin Wrote:  My first 1 hour long gt3 race and really enjoyed it.
Had a slow start and lost a few places but that seems to be the norm. Bit of strategy and managed to go a few laps further than the person i was racing before pitting. Almost backfired as went to zero fuel as i entered the pits. Came out in front and just stayed there.

Medium tires could have gone further so i think next time i'll start with a full tank and fill up less at the pit stop.

Michael - if you're talking about the UK champs I think that was us racing before the pitstops. It was a great race, good track manners (bar one exception and he bailed out) and seemed like a fairly equal field.

I had a shocker of a pitstop - overshot, then left it in reverse for release!! Live and learn! Also ran out of fuel on the last lap, but as I had crossed for the 42nd lap it recorded that even though I had to go back to the pits.

Not sure its worth filling up less as the tyres take longer by 5/6 secs for 70 odd litres in a pit stop. Might be worth trying to go far enough on mediums to carry softs for the last 20mins though. ummm...

Should be a good series, hope to see most people next week
Quote:Owen PyrahThis may seem funny but I joined the Euro race last night and realised I've never properly raced GT3. I think I confused it with GT2 and was expecting to be able to pick the Ferrari 458 GT2. Seems to be a good series and, despite wobbling around at the back of the pack, the cars seem to be fairly well balanced. 

Has anyone driven many of the  GT3 cars enough to give a bit of perspective on which ones to choose based on their driving characteristics?

My take on it after enough racing with those at least:

- Huracan has the sheer power if you can keep it in the rev range always, in the straight it's unbeatable, can be a little edgy depending on the setup.
- 650s handles well, very precise, fast with enough aggressiveness but relatively slow in the straight (no V10). If you have a lambo in the slipstream you re done.
- R8 feels a bit of both the Huracan and 650s, good balance.
- Porsche R16 best handling imo, really feels the engine low and far back as it should be, i love it. Tyres not as much, can be an issue on some tracks.
- 488, drive it on the torque and very good things will happen. Altough probably the most difficult GT3 to tame, default setup is absolutely scary.
- AMG same than the 488, truck torque, no slouch in mid and high speed corners but less agile in slower ones (weight/front engine)
- Z4 very agile, good all around just a notch below the best ones on some tracks but can keep up well on some others.

And i agree AC's GT3 are well balanced and i think even true to their real counterparts, i don't know how they achieved that it's remarkable. Hopes up for ACC.
Phil it was a great 6 lap battle. Very clean, safe driving and no contact. I kept edging up to you but you defended brilliantly. Shame about your pit stop.

Agree with the pit strategy. I could have got a fair few more laps out of the mediums but ran out of fuel.I wouldn't fill up more than the time it takes to change tires (about 90L in 650s). More start with a full tank 130L i think just to give more options during the race. I don't think softs would have worked for me. But having a fresh set mediums was nice.

I really though Alexander was going to get me at the end. Closing down very fast he but pushed just that little bit too hard.

Was really nice to have a zero incident race.
Shaun Clarke Racing (Previously TPCSimRacing) driver and painter.
https://www.facebook.com/PlankLiveries
Regarding the GT3s: On the forums it states that Assetto Corsa series have a locked setup, but do the GT3 fall under this or no? Can i do custom setups?
(05-14-2018, 10:21 PM)Julius Maaten Wrote:  Regarding the GT3s: On the forums it states that Assetto Corsa series have a locked setup, but do the GT3 fall under this or no? Can i do custom setups?

It's open setup championship Wink
Intel i5-8400 @2,80GHz | ASUS-Prime Z370-P | 16GB DDR4 2666MHz RAM | Gigabyte Aorus GeForce GTX1060 6GB | LG 23,8" 1920x1080 | Win10 Ultimate | Logitech Driving Force GT
I just did a hour long GT3 race and coming from the porsche GT1 i thought i would have to go for a hard-hard strategy. Started on the hard and they easily lasted 40 mins(My fuel load) But i was so much slower than all the cars that where apparantly running medium tyres(nobody give me that memo) so i switched to the soft tyre for the final stint and was lapping faster than everyone on track, sadly i lost so much positions on the hard tyre that my final stint made practically no difference. Will go for medium-medium next time Smile
''All the time you havea to leavea the space''

As said by Fernando Alonso in broken english during the Bahrein GP 2012
Why does so many people don't end the races ? Disqualification or Mecanical problems ?

(05-10-2018, 07:20 PM)Zoltan Marton Wrote:  In this GT3 championship the tyre usage is a bit different, now it is managable to use only 1 set of meds and stop for only fuel. My strategy today was 1 med with full tank and after 40 min i put the needed fuel for the rest of the race and had softs for the last 18 min. It could have worked if i hadn't been taken out 3 times by 3 different people. You can try to stop 2 times for softs but its not really that much better than  only 1 stop for meds. Good luck.

They don't overheat ? For me, one tyre often comes red even on qualy, and I make worst times than with mediums ...
(05-12-2018, 11:06 PM)James Blint Wrote:  My take on it after enough racing with those at least:

- Huracan has the sheer power if you can keep it in the rev range always, in the straight it's unbeatable, can be a little edgy depending on the setup.
- 650s handles well, very precise, fast with enough aggressiveness but relatively slow in the straight (no V10). If you have a lambo in the slipstream you re done.
- R8 feels a bit of both the Huracan and 650s, good balance.
- Porsche R16 best handling imo, really feels the engine low and far back as it should be, i love it. Tyres not as much, can be an issue on some tracks.
- 488, drive it on the torque and very good things will happen. Altough probably the most difficult GT3 to tame, default setup is absolutely scary.
- AMG same than the 488, truck torque, no slouch in mid and high speed corners but less agile in slower ones (weight/front engine)
- Z4 very agile, good all around just a notch below the best ones on some tracks but can keep up well on some others.

And i agree AC's GT3 are well balanced and i think even true to their real counterparts, i don't know how they achieved that it's remarkable. Hopes up for ACC.

Thanks Dawid and James. I've been using the Porsche and agree regarding handling. I like the way it trails in and rewards getting gently back on the gas early to squat the back at exit. I think I may have to give the R8 a chance and see how my lap times compare.
(05-17-2018, 07:40 AM)Jorge Cercadillo Wrote:  Why does so many people don't end the races ? Disqualification or Mecanical problems ?

(05-10-2018, 07:20 PM)Zoltan Marton Wrote:  In this GT3 championship the tyre usage is a bit different, now it is managable to use only 1 set of meds and stop for only fuel. My strategy today was 1 med with full tank and after 40 min i put the needed fuel for the rest of the race and had softs for the last 18 min. It could have worked if i hadn't been taken out 3 times by 3 different people. You can try to stop 2 times for softs but its not really that much better than  only 1 stop for meds. Good luck.

They don't overheat ? For me, one tyre often comes red even on qualy, and I make worst times than with mediums ...
Lots of strategies are viable with tyres, i ve tried a couple. Barcelona Moto is a bit special as it's a very abrasive track for the left tyres, for quali softs must be preserved even on the outlap and you only have one or two laps to make a good time but if you baby them with a setup that isn't too agressive for the tyres, you can last up to about 10 laps there.

On Brands Hatch the easy one was 2 med with 100l refuel which takes the same amount of time than swapping tyres, it was also viable to make one stint in med of 40m and the last one in soft, or even start in soft with two pits and be less loaded of fuel, which makes a difference when you deal with +100l especially with some cars that are very thirsty like the 650s, the race i had with the Porsche it was consuming about 1/4 less. Basically with 2 soft pits you have to be at least 1sec faster per lap on average to make up for the extra pit (about 40s lost) i won one like that with 30s lead, so it's doable.

It's all pretty to have good strategies, unless you get taken down quickly or things happen. Last time on Barcelona i lost the race for a penalty trying to dodge a blue flag, but this is the magic of "endurance" races, you can loose everything you worked for in a second.
I raced in a 1 hour race last night at Barcelona. It was my first SRS race.
It was a bit of a mistake, I didn't realise it was 1 hour until I joined the lobby. Noob error.
I had no idea on setup or fuel so just filled it up and put hard tyres on.
In the end I probably gave a pretty good account of myself. There were a couple of people on there who were mind bogglingly fast but maybe some of that (certainly not all of it) was better tyre choice.
I couldn't heat my hard tyres up. They were blue on 1 minute and blue on 60!
Good fun, I'll probably look out for some shorter races next.