Hello There, Guest! Register

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Heart Rate on LIVE STREAM during a Race
Hello everyone,
Would like to share my experience on showing my Heart Rate in Real-Time to STREAM channel.
On image in left bottom corner you can find how it looks like, watching video you can see how my heart rate is changing during the race.
Details:
Sensor: Polar H10
Heart Rate API: http://pulsoid.net
[Image: ang1gWU.jpg]
That is an amazing concept...i know my heart "races" with me, hence the saying "race your heart out"....my body temp rises tremendously, to the point of sweating, eyes watering, simulating that hot car experience. Cool
Big Grin 
(04-18-2018, 11:57 AM)Michael Butler Wrote:  That is an amazing concept...i know my heart "races" with me, hence the saying "race your heart out"....my body temp rises tremendously, to the point of sweating, eyes watering, simulating that hot car experience. Cool

my normal Heart Rate during practice is 75-90. When raced with people it was 90-140  Big Grin
I try to relax any time I notice my heart rate rising. Concentrating on slow, deep breathing. Much smoother and faster when I'm not agitated.

For the same reason I don't pay much attention to my mirror. Easier to just focus on hitting your markers and let them worry about passing you. I find if you watch your mirror, the gap to the car behind may shrink. If you look forward, the gap to the car ahead may shrink.
(04-26-2018, 09:48 AM)Owen Pyrah Wrote:  I find if you watch your mirror, the gap to the car behind may shrink. If you look forward, the gap to the car ahead may shrink.
Indeed...

Good thinking Owen, I'll try to work on my breathing. I find myself in apnea often during a race, but I hadn't thought about the link to the heart rate.
As for the sweating, it's no use... My flat is under a Brussels roof and soon the temperature will too high for me to race. I'd have to take a shower and change clothes after each race, pain in the ass. I'm already dehydrated after the (20 minutes) race. Let's hope for a rotten summer Smile
(04-26-2018, 09:48 AM)Owen Pyrah Wrote:  I try to relax any time I notice my heart rate rising. Concentrating on slow, deep breathing. Much smoother and faster when I'm not agitated.

For the same reason I don't pay much attention to my mirror. Easier to just focus on hitting your markers and let them worry about passing you. I find if you watch your mirror, the gap to the car behind may shrink. If you look forward, the gap to the car ahead may shrink.

hitting markers is one thing driving alone, whenever you have someone on your ass, you automatically go into DEFEND mode, which changes everything about the racing line and hitting markers, although it is the fastest way around, you don't always take the fastest way around in defensive mode and you WILL look into the mirror as this is the only way to see your opponent's line when defending....you can say you won't look, but you will. I would also like to add, watching the mirror and all directions is key to contact free racing, you may only defend for a short period if the car behind is faster and you know he's faster, otherwise, you're looking in the mirror to see that you don't turn in on an attempt to pass by him.

(04-26-2018, 11:25 AM)Pierre Caillet Wrote:  Good thinking Owen, I'll try to work on my breathing. I find myself in apnea often during a race, but I hadn't thought about the link to the heart rate.
As for the sweating, it's no use... My flat is under a Brussels roof and soon the temperature will too high for me to race. I'd have to take a shower and change clothes after each race, pain in the ass. I'm already dehydrated after the (20 minutes) race. Let's hope for a rotten summer Smile

OMG !!!  I sweat like a pig too...lol...with air conditioning on...it's nerves apparently......i get so HOT sometimes, it ruins my race because i'm trying to turn on fans or take my shirt off during a race. Big Grin

(04-26-2018, 12:27 PM)Michael Butler Wrote:  
(04-26-2018, 09:48 AM)Owen Pyrah Wrote:  I try to relax any time I notice my heart rate rising. Concentrating on slow, deep breathing. Much smoother and faster when I'm not agitated.

hitting markers is one thing driving alone, whenever you have someone on your ass, you automatically go into DEFEND mode, which changes everything about the racing line and hitting markers, although it is the fastest way around, you don't always take the fastest way around in defensive mode and you WILL look into the mirror as this is the only way to see your opponent's line when defending....you can say you won't look, but you will. I would also like to add, watching the mirror and all directions is key to contact free racing, you may only defend for a short period if the car behind is faster and you know he's faster, otherwise, you're looking in the mirror to see that you don't turn in on an attempt to pass by him.

(04-26-2018, 11:25 AM)Pierre Caillet Wrote:  Good thinking Owen, I'll try to work on my breathing. I find myself in apnea often during a race, but I hadn't thought about the link to the heart rate.

OMG !!!  I sweat like a pig too...lol...with air conditioning on...it's nerves apparently......i get so HOT sometimes, it ruins my race because i'm trying to turn on fans or take my shirt off during a race. Big Grin

Pierre, you need to make this cheap cooling unit...... https://www.youtube.com/results?search_q...et+ac+unit
Ahah, taking off your shirt while driving, good luck with that. Sweater rookie mistake, really, ALWAYS take everything off BEFORE, even if it means you have to freeze your balls during practice Big Grin
An AC unit, yeah... Considering the terrible isolation in my building, that would be a waste. But they forget to tell you when you get into simracing : you need to bduget for a PC, a wheel, a VR headset AND an air cooling unit...
No but really, nothing will do except a radical change of latitude. I had to give up AC for 4 months last year because of that, too much of a pain in the ass.

I think Owen and you are not speaking about the same thing. There are different ways to "have someone on your ass". If he's 0,2 s behind, obviously you're going to have to take the inside and watch your mirrors. If he's 1 s behind and gaining, he's definitely on your ass but it's different, you can still concentrate on yourself and drive as if he weren't there.
(04-26-2018, 01:30 PM)Pierre Caillet Wrote:  Ahah, taking off your shirt while driving, good luck with that. Sweater rookie mistake, really, ALWAYS take everything off BEFORE, even if it means you have to freeze your balls during practice Big Grin
An AC unit, yeah... Considering the terrible isolation in my building, that would be a waste. But they forget to tell you when you get into simracing : you need to bduget for a PC, a wheel, a VR headset AND an air cooling unit...
No but really, nothing will do except a radical change of latitude. I had to give up AC for 4 months last year because of that, too much of a pain in the ass.

I think Owen and you are not speaking about the same thing. There are different ways to "have someone on your ass". If he's 0,2 s behind, obviously you're going to have to take the inside and watch your mirrors. If he's 1 s behind and gaining, he's definitely on your ass but it's different, you can still concentrate on yourself and drive as if he weren't there.

I can agree with that...."on your ass" means on your ass...0.2....1.0 behind is just a "follower"....lol
Interesting data Smile
Your position in the pack has a big impact on your defensiveness to be honest. I'm often towards the back or at least rarely on podium. If someone is catching with better pace than me I won't defend too much. Maybe cover the inside line but not worry too much. If they make a good pass I'll catch a tow from them. There's a good chance then you can follow them through the pack. Although they are in front, you may still be in a better position than if you'd defended to the last and slowed both you and them down.

Of course, if they are overly aggressive about it then rational thinking is out the window and you want to beat them at all cost ha. Also, if I'm on podium, or fighting for it, then I'm a lot more defensive and will actively cover the inside line when threatened. Or take late apexes to slow their entry momentum and gap them on the exit.

Also, I think car radar/helicorsa is far easier to use than the mirror when really close. If they aren't showing up in car radar, why worry!