Hello There, Guest! Register

Thread Rating:
  • 1 Vote(s) - 3 Average
First day at SRS school ;)
Hi All,

It's been a long trip to here at SRS... started with Ayrton Senna's Super Monaco Grand Prix right through to TOCA (and other great games like the GP series) with my sons when they were little.  This year they clubbed-up to buy me a wheel/pedals and Assetto Corsa for Christmas ("to keep an old karter happy", cheeky buggers!), so here I am.  Love the way I can get close to the feel of racing again.

Like Alan Anderson (a few posts back) I'm also in 'the tea-time of life' (was going to go for 'Silver Surfer' handle but he's a Super Hero I'm told :p  ), so I now try to breathe at least once per lap, not let the red mist creep in, learn from others in front - and those trying to get past!  So far the competition has been AI, never online so far, so really looking forward to meeting you all on track.

Living in north west UK my best times for races will probably be after 7:00 GMT weekdays (work permitting) and free most weekends.  Hoping especially for GT3 races, love the power/handling balance Smile

One last thing, I know nothing of pitstops, how much fuel I need for how many stints, how long tyres last etc so if anyone wants to point me in the direction of videos, guides etc I'd be really grateful - pm if you like Smile

John
Welcome!

When you go back to the pits after racing or practicing, Assetto Corsa will start displaying how many laps approximately will your current fuel load give you. But you must look within the same session and also after completing at least 2 full laps.
Frenzy Conducive "Benzine Wagons" Being "Tuned-Up" By Mechanicians
Welcome from a fellow north-westerner!

With regards to fuel usage, the method Pawel provided is a good start although personally I don't always find it to be accurate.
You can calculate that yourself in a solo practice session. Do a few laps, see how much she drinks per lap and what your lap times are.
E.g. car uses 2 litres per lap, the race is 20mins long and you're lap times are 1 minute. That's 20 laps, 2x20 is 40 litres for full race... Then add an extra lap worth just to be safe Big Grin

With tires, in 20 minutes races in most cars you can get away with using the softest compound and you'll be fine. It's the 1hr endurance races and high powered open wheelers where you may want to go for the harder compounds but that will come with experience and practice

Hope to see you on the track sometime!
As a follow up to the tires question. I just did a 20-min race at Brands Hatch in the Tatuus using soft tires. They survived, but at the end three were red and one was yellow. Last 3-4  laps was nursing and praying. Fortunately only one short visit to the lawn.  Not sure if they lasted so short only because the Tatuus is a fast single-seater with downforce, or my not exactly smooth driving style contributed. Still might have been a good strategy after all ;-)
(04-01-2018, 10:31 PM)Pawel Kusmierek Wrote:  As a follow up to the tires question. I just did a 20-min race at Brands Hatch in the Tatuus using soft tires. They survived, but at the end three were red and one was yellow. Last 3-4  laps was nursing and praying. Fortunately only one short visit to the lawn.  Not sure if they lasted so short only because the Tatuus is a fast single-seater with downforce, or my not exactly smooth driving style contributed. Still might have been a good strategy after all ;-)

Same thing with the Tatuus at Nurburgring, soft tires fall off heavily on the last few laps. It's to be expected though as more downforce = more strain on your tires. I've tested both softs and mediums with that car and the finishing times are similar. Each one has it's pros and cons (softs = easier to put distance between you and slower drivers early on but require some management later on. mediums = consistent the whole race but can be a disadvantage while battling drivers with similar pace) Smile
By the way, I am wondering what happens if one keeps driving on worn tires. Are there tire blowouts in AC (or any other sim)?
I know you can blow out your tires in AC by spinning them too much in the gravel as I've done this a few times out of frustration while trying to get back on track Big Grin

I did 3 laps in the Tatuus a few seasons ago where Sidekick told me my rear tires were at 0 and they didn't blow but it was like driving on ice