Hello There, Guest! Register

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Tyre temps on 911 GT3 2017
Thanks Owen.
Yeah, 25-27 psi warm, that's where I am now.
It's not a general level that applies in any situation (car, track, compound), though, right ?

There's something I don't understand here:
why would the end goal be "warm tyre pressure" rather than "warm tyre temperature" ? Wouldn't temperature be the prime factor for grip ?
Hi Pierre,

I race the same track and car you do and i took a set up from the setupmarket and went from there. I was reasnonably satisfied with that set up but had indeed trouble with the tyres staying too cold. I lowered the pressure to the lowest possible point and that worked for me. The race is 20 minutes and with these low pressures i don't ruine the tyres and they stay warm.
(03-31-2018, 11:56 AM)PierreĀ Caillet Wrote:  Thanks Owen.
Yeah, 25-27 psi warm, that's where I am now.
It's not a general level that applies in any situation (car, track, compound), though, right ?

There's something I don't understand here:
why would the end goal be "warm tyre pressure" rather than "warm tyre temperature" ? Wouldn't temperature be the prime factor for grip ?

That level should apply to most GT3 cars. You're right, it is affected by the car' weight, acceleration (rom braking, throttle and turning) and tyre construction (side walls and casing mainly I think). But most GT3 cars are a similar weight and performance so they should be all similar.

End goal is maximising contact patch and keeping the tyres the shape they were designed to be. Yes, when they warm up they get more sticky but the optimum temperature range is often about 10-25*C while the optimum hot pressure range is often only 1 or 2 psi. You will feel a difference of 1 psi in your driving more easily than you will feel a difference of 10*C.

If tyres get too hot they wear much quicker and get greasy. If tyres don't get hot enough they don't provide quite as much traction but really the difference between 40*C and 80*C won't be too great.

I tried to find a good resource on tyre pressures but this is the best I could do:
https://motorsportessentials.co.uk/blogs...-pressures
Yes, okay, both pressure and temperature have to be optimal but pressure has to be exact whereas temperature gives you more leeway. Roger that. And thanks for the link, it put some things straight. Cheers Owen, I owe you a pint. Lager, right ? Smile
Yes, with the disclaimer that this is a game created as faithfully as possible to science and reality but still just someone's best attempt to model racing.

If you're buying, make it a scotch Pierre Smile I brew my own beer and wine so I'm pretty tight. And I'm not only an Englishman but a Yorkshireman ha.