Hello There, Guest! Register

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Tyre temps on 911 GT3 2017
I'm not very fast (yet :p) but I'm reasonably happy with my setup for the 911 GT3. Except for the fact I can't bring the tyres up to temperature: they stay around 75, 76, 77, 78ºC and that's it. Isn't it low for the slicks ? Wouldn't the grip be better at 85-95 ºC ? And my pressures are already pretty low at 19-21 psi.
So, is it the same for you guys ? Or do you have lower pressures ?
I could be talking out my arse as I haven't raced the 911 GT3 series yet but I would concentrate on getting your pressures right (when hot) over tyre temperature Pierre. I.e. don't go chasing lower and lower pressures trying to warm the tyres up. If the compound won't allow you to get proper heat in them, just concentrate on getting the pressures right.

Can you go to a softer compound that will get heat in more easily?

What are your warm pressures like?
They're at 28-29 psi when warm. And there's only one compound.
(03-30-2018, 06:11 PM)Pierre Caillet Wrote:  I'm not very fast (yet :p) but I'm reasonably happy with my setup for the 911 GT3. Except for the fact I can't bring the tyres up to temperature: they stay around 75, 76, 77, 78ºC and that's it. Isn't it low for the slicks ? Wouldn't the grip be better at 85-95 ºC ? And my pressures are already pretty low at 19-21 psi.
So, is it the same for you guys ? Or do you have lower pressures ?

This could be due to plenty of factors, aero, alignement,.. simply how you drive, but 19-21 seems high to me, i guess you are talking about the 911 on Spa, im at 17 on the left and 18 on the right, they stay well within the green all the time with a bit over pressure in some sections (last one) but nothing worrying. Temps are around +20 compared to your values so yes you should get additionnal grip there, maybe try to lower them down and see what you get.
Okay James, thanks, I'll try that.
Well, I tried and temperatures didn't rise so much in the front (maybe 5 °C) but a bit more in the rear (about 10-15 °C). A bit less oversteering, God yes, better braking and better grip in the middle of corners.
Bottom line : -0,6 s on my PB within 4 laps and another -0,3 within reach.
Now, say thank you to the man : thank you James Smile
Pierre, can i see whole setup please, i strugle with 911 now
Glad it improved your laps Pierre, temps were off the top of my head, they are maybe similar to yours or some other differences in the setup. I could share it, i don't think it's very fast i had hard time breaking into the 1:20 but i believe it's very safe (lots of wing etc)

Now it's only worth if you get the 102, im sure you can do it  Wink
There you go, Michal.
1.20 is still a long way to go...

Attached Files Thumbnail(s)

(03-30-2018, 07:53 PM)Pierre Caillet Wrote:  They're at 28-29 psi when warm. And there's only one compound.

Ok that seems a bit high really. I thought you might have had too little pressure when warm. 25-27 psi would give better feel and grip.

Although I'm coming from a motorbike mentality where profile is very important, I think the same is true for cars with flat rather than round tyre profiles. The reason you drop your cold pressures is not to warm the tyres. It is to make sure the pressure is right when the tyres are warm and have increased in pressure. Otherwise it's tail wagging the dog if that makes sense.

Having said that I'm not sure the tyre model is like real life so maybe there's a way to cheat the system and get perfect grip as it's just a game after all. It's funny that RaceRoom doesn't even allow you to change tyre pressure (or tell you the tyre temps I don't think) but the tyre model feels so much more like tyres when driving. Maybe you can't have both control of setup and realistic tyre feel...