Hello There, Guest! Register

Thread Rating:
  • 1 Vote(s) - 5 Average
Too many racing with bonnet view.
It's nice to see that sim racing is no different to any other video game genre. People finding different ways to have fun with a game and then arguing about which way is better Big Grin
Such a huge need for helicorsa? You can't see enough with this? It's a single monitor 1080p showing all the possible at any time easily accessible views for driver view, dash view (what most people with a wheel I know use) and the dreaded bonnet cam:

[Image: KkOq2z7h.jpg]

[Image: BhyXtrKh.jpg]

[Image: vbLLnhzh.jpg]

Dash is probably the best if you like it as your side views don't get blocked by a seat in GT3 and such cars but I'm not sure you can adjust the angle in AC, you can adjust angle for driver side views though and the speed of rotation etc. Still with even a rear view mirror and looking only forward you can see when someone is beside you, it's this simple: Can you see their front in your mirror? Yes? Then they are behind you. Can't see their front in your mirror anymore? Then they are beside you.
Can't adjust rear view mirror position, rotation, angle etc. in some "simulator"? Well it probably has a virtual mirror, AC does, use it instead.

The bonnet cam side views are literally useless as the camera position is too much forward.
Driver side views can be adjusted to see through side windows over the seat, I've used the not always so great default view made by Kunos for all views.

Most of the time all you really need is forward view and a rear view mirror. If in doubt leave a 1 lane space by the side. With the lags and confusion helicorsa has, plus it's endless flickering and going nuts in complicated situations, it's quite useless and distracting to have to watch. A system with 3 simple arrows would have worked better, AC has or used to have some arrows, very tiny arrows that float around the screen, but I've disabled that as soon as I saw it or maybe it was a different sim. Nah it's AC, it's here: system config - proximity_indicator.ini - hide=1 to get rid of it, there are no settings to adjust it and make it actually useful. There also used to be an app that would use radio to say that there is a car beside you, not sure if it was in helicorsa as an option or other app, don't use it either. A radio is certainly much less distracting if done right.

Will you see much more than this in VR? Yes. Is it any useful, no, because do you really need to see your feet, crotch, gear shifter or back of your seat? Especially since you probably don't have the real shifter position synced with VR position.
I use Crew Chief and Car Radar (No lag or flickering like Helicorsa). Is it as realistic as looking side to side or any of the things Jaroslav showcased? No. Do I give a rodents rectum about that level of realism? No. Am I a hardcore sim racing hobbyist? Again, no, I just play for fun like I do with any other game. Does using these kind of apps make me faster? Nope but they sure make me cleaner... So as long as I'm having fun, racing cleanly and taking into account what I've already said, can you give a legitimate reason why I should be forced not to use them? Oh wait, I know the answer to that! It's a no again isn't it?...
all is useless when still in 4 races of 5 some brainles driving at opening laps send me to end of field :-(

feel very flustrating, i try drive as fair as possible but some "dracers" dont try the same, punting from back (sometimes from very high rated drivers), blocking (changing line 3 -4times per straight to block after ther mistake seen too many times last week)
You can't see nearly that much with an accurate FOV (which those screenshots show everything but, as you have already pointed out). But again... whatever floats your boat. I'd rather be able to keep all my hands on the wheel than fumble with look buttons, and using TrackIR for head tracking gets pretty tiresome. VR is likely much better in this regard, but until they get the resolution up to snuff I can't be bothered with it (I had a Vive, and sold it because of all the dust it was gathering).

The point of this thread is to suggest we make rules to force people how to play the game, and it is pretty clear that is never happening. So why keep piling on "evidence" either way?
Tutorial on how to use Autodesk Mudbox and Adobe Photoshop to make custom liveries! https://tinyurl.com/yaetz4qz
Grab my PDash Skins (an Assetto Corsa HUD app) here: https://tinyurl.com/y95ewubz
None of these assists help you enough if you`re a bad virtual driver. The way I see it, plenty of people have problem with aggressiveness in racing, no helicorsa or spotter gonna fix that.
You hate something that helps people?? How in the hell does THAT make sense!!!???  Sheeez!
I could not care less what view someone uses for driving. It's a game after all, and you just do not have peripheral vision like in real life.
Cockpit view might be most realistic, sure, but given that it being a 2D rendering, the cars structure around you is restricting your view far more then in real life.
In real life, when you turn your view e.g. to the A-pillar, your left and right eye, being like 10cm apart, record images from different positions, partly viewing an area
behind the pillar, that is not visible for the other eye. This tremendously helps to reduce the dead area behind the pillar in real life.
In sim racing, you only have a single viewpoint, and the view restriction is much greater, and therefore much more obtrusive.
Bonnet view also helps to make out the width of the track and where your car is positioned relative to it.
It is all about playing in 2D a game that would need 3D more then anything.

So as long as VR is not a given standard, I'll be happy for anybody driving with bonnet view, or even worse, chase view, if that makes them better at jusding distances
or avoiding contact in close battle.

Myself, I'm driving in cockpit view, in front of a single monitor, and with the help of heliocorsa. I do so because I'm after the immersion of being in the race car.
I also use clutch and H-pattern gear box. Does this make me faster? No, quite the opposite really. Shifting and clutching  and braking and blipping the engine, all at the same time,
I can never make it perfect, and mishshifts and lock ups occasionally do happen, but ...I'm having a great time Big Grin

edit: thread is kind of old,...nvm...