Hello There, Guest! Register

Thread Rating:
  • 1 Vote(s) - 5 Average
Too many racing with bonnet view.
tldr VR not in OP
(04-02-2018, 05:51 PM)Neil de Guzman Wrote:  Because there's an imaginary generalization how a "normal" simulator looks like and there are people who break the rules and want something bigger. Why bonnet Cam? Why not?  
 [Image: images?q=tbn:ANd9GcQxGm0F4QF5vPPAVJf9kjJ...Adp9ylbM_g]
Big Grin

Screens not close enough or big enough to wheel for correct FOV. Unsubscribe.
Tutorial on how to use Autodesk Mudbox and Adobe Photoshop to make custom liveries! https://tinyurl.com/yaetz4qz
Grab my PDash Skins (an Assetto Corsa HUD app) here: https://tinyurl.com/y95ewubz
if you want realism, tell me if the FOV you have racing with only 1 screen and cockpit camera is the same as real life.... personally most of the drivers who have 3 screens uses cockpit view, but when you only have one its difficult
No politics.... just racing!
I've learned to enjoy 1:1 FOV, which works out to be about 34 vertical FOV on a single 42" display 34 inches from my face. For a long while I bumped it up so I could make out the side mirrors on the single display, but with Helicorsa/Car Radar, there's really no need to make that adjustment. Everything looks spot on.
Tutorial on how to use Autodesk Mudbox and Adobe Photoshop to make custom liveries! https://tinyurl.com/yaetz4qz
Grab my PDash Skins (an Assetto Corsa HUD app) here: https://tinyurl.com/y95ewubz
I'm supposed to have my FOV around 24 vertical fov but I find 40 to be the lowest I can go before I get nauseous Sad
You see a lot of talk about FOV but not as much about driving position which can also make a big difference. The thing with driving position is there is no number or degree setting you can stick it on. At least with FOV you can use the Project Immersion calculator to find what is mathematically correct. But that can still look weird if your driving position is too close or far back.

I aim to have it more or less match what I imagine I'd see through the window of my screen. Sometimes it's practically on the bonnet, then others I prefer it further back so I can see through the side window a little bit. I've never just settled on a right setting. Has anyone found a good way to get this setup?
I used to play with a projector about ten feet away from the sim rig, and the nose cam seemed to be the most realistic for this. I stopped when I found myself not looking all the way through the corners when I got on a real track and didn't play with sims again until I got a triple screen setup.
I have keratoconus, which means that my corneas have a warp.
This makes it a bit hard to make out features on a 2d screen, especially through the windscreen effect.

The clarity of bumper/bonnet cam negates negates that and gives me perfect visual accuracy.

I think that unless there is a mandatory VR goggle mode the slight differences in viewing perspective don't really matter.
(04-07-2018, 06:23 PM)Owen Pyrah Wrote:  You see a lot of talk about FOV but not as much about driving position which can also make a big difference. The thing with driving position is there is no number or degree setting you can stick it on. At least with FOV you can use the Project Immersion calculator to find what is mathematically correct. But that can still look weird if your driving position is too close or far back.

I aim to have it more or less match what I imagine I'd see through the window of my screen. Sometimes it's practically on the bonnet, then others I prefer it further back so I can see through the side window a little bit. I've never just settled on a right setting. Has anyone found a good way to get this setup?

Im always struggling with it as well, i tend to have a default setup with a bit of tilt (-5) and a few click back and up. I find at default our eye sight is pointing too low like right in front of the dashboard, but it's never like that in a real car, especially if you are tall. So usually i do it per car basis, sometimes it takes me plenty of adjustments to be satisfied with it, if too close i can't see nothing around, when too far back the car pillars often block my views of the apex. 

Btw ive done worse than bonnet cam, i had so much issues with this setting the view in the Ginetta, 2 min before the race i decided to do it...with the chase cam.  I ve never driven the Ginetta anymore  Wink
I'm always fiddling with my cockpit view, and try to get it as 1:1 as possible. After settling on a FOV, I adjust my seat position as follows:

1. Sit in the car on the grid.
2. Press F5 to get an external view of the car. Use the mouse to move the camera. If this doesn't work the first time, just restart the race/hot lap.
3. You should see a blue cross marking the position of the driver's eyes. (Ctrl-H to toggle this.)
4. Move the view around, noting the distance, height and angle from the eyes to the wheel, mirror, side-mirrors, dashboard, etc. Zoom in with your mouse's scroll wheel.
5. Go back to the cockpit view and adjust the seating position to your preference. You'll probably go back and forth between the cockpit and external views to get your position just right. Use a little tilt if necessary.
6. Save the new driving view.

I hope this helps someone. I've found it makes quite a difference to immersion when driving.  Cool

But be prepared to lose most of the lovely interior detail... Cry Big Grin