Hello There, Guest! Register

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
what causes drivers to screw up Turn 1?
If you even make it to turn 1 from the start of a race without contact, you've done good because there are many drivers that get a much better start than others so the temptation to pass early is there.
It may depend on which lane you start in as to which lane you prefer to be in on the approach to T1. I've personally done so many starts @ SRS, (450+) I can't remember the last time i caused an incident in turn 1....It has to be the inexperienced driver that doesn't know it's ok to get passed if you get a bad start. He may try to overdrive the car thinking that gaining 2 positions is his ultimate goal and the only way he can stay ahead, doesn't know his car's braking distance on cold brakes and too stubborn to brake early and lightly and fear of the driver behind ramming him, or getting back into the gas too early on exit, leaving the outside driver no room for his exit causing contact. So many reasons that are completely avoidable with patience.....If you can't see the driver beside you, just assume he's there every time, I mean he did start right beside you from the grid so most of the time, he's still there..it's perfectly fine to lose a few positions, if your car is fast enough, you can gain those positions back in 3 or 4 laps easy.....if you think you can block a faster driver as a way to improve your finishing position, you're wrong. I'd like to say these T1 incidents will improve 1 day, but I'm not so sure as long as there are inexperienced drivers in the field that don't want to improve and don't care about contact as long as they get the advantage temporarily.
and what are thinking drivers when there is no way to go in T1 (many cars in many lines in front , i slow not to bump they and from rear they try pas me and usualy hit. So they must see clearly what is going on in T1 , i am in onlince simracing since early 2001, i did many leagues (GPL, NASCAR, Rfactor include full 6h races ) so i know that race is not won in T1, and in lap 1 (when the tyres and brakes aro not yet in racing condition).
is not only turn 1.....is the entire first lap
my last 3/4 races has been ruined by drivers who was thinking to be still in qualy lap
and is even worst when you overtake a driver few seconds slower and he think he can get you back the next turn...ridicolous

P.S. Michal...i sent you a PM, wish you understood what's happened
(03-25-2018, 11:28 AM)OR...the explanation might be very simple, these drivers dont have any respect for other drivers, and they dont have a clue what racing is all about.....(sorry for my not so good English)regards Erik Michael Butler Wrote:  If you even make it to turn 1 from the start of a race without contact, you've done good because there are many drivers that get a much better start than others so the temptation to pass early is there.
It may depend on which lane you start in as to which lane you prefer to be in on the approach to T1. I've personally done so many starts @ SRS, (450+) I can't remember the last time i caused an incident in turn 1....It has to be the inexperienced driver that doesn't know it's ok to get passed if you get a bad start. He may try to overdrive the car thinking that gaining 2 positions is his ultimate goal and the only way he can stay ahead, doesn't know his car's braking distance on cold brakes and too stubborn to brake early and lightly and fear of the driver behind ramming him, or getting back into the gas too early on exit, leaving the outside driver no room for his exit causing contact. So many reasons that are completely avoidable with patience.....If you can't see the driver beside you, just assume he's there every time, I mean he did start right beside you from the grid so most of the time, he's still there..it's perfectly fine to lose a few positions, if your car is fast enough, you can gain those positions back in 3 or 4 laps easy.....if you think you can block a faster driver as a way to improve your finishing position, you're wrong. I'd like to say these T1 incidents will improve 1 day, but I'm not so sure as long as there are inexperienced drivers in the field that don't want to improve and don't care about contact as long as they get the advantage temporarily.
imho there are a couple of things to avoid T1 dramas as much as possible, and i ve learned that the hard way at the begining, and still do.

- Train for the T1 braking point in standing starts which is gonna be a bit deeper than your regular braking point for this corner and make it secure. It doesn't sound like much but you ll see you can trim a good chunk of time with that on occasion. I believe this is actually the main reason people wreck T1 cause they assume since they are going slower they can brake later/ turn in earlier etc... and they don't judge it well cause they ve never tried it before the race.
- Try to stay on the inside, if a guy screw up and it's gonna happen.. he always gonna overshoot on the outside (well most of the time)
- Quick practice with the car to set the 1st gear right for it, cause anyway you won't probably ever use it in race, so make it as short as grip allow until it's too much spin, but you want a little.
- Don't look too much in the mirror, do your thing and concentrate on what's ahead.
- Better qualy is always good (!) people in the front generally know there s no point going in T1 like a maniac.

If everything keep on failing and you know you have an idiot behind, braketest the sh out of him  Blush
For cars with brake lights (most of them), engage the brake with a light press while still moving into the first corner much earlier than the normal braking zone. This lets anyone behind you know that it is time to start braking, even if they aren't used to it. It's a bit safer than "brake checking" since some folks might still be full throttle and will not hesitate to plow into you.
Tutorial on how to use Autodesk Mudbox and Adobe Photoshop to make custom liveries! https://tinyurl.com/yaetz4qz
Grab my PDash Skins (an Assetto Corsa HUD app) here: https://tinyurl.com/y95ewubz
todays Porsche GT1 was anothe nice example, started around 12th place, before T1 when try not hit car in fronts everybody from behind must be 1st at T1 so i fall to around 20th but then many of these "T1 winners" colided behind T1 or slide off track i try avoid everything in front but one contact with spun car was unawoidable when they moove after their spin, but at the end of lap 1 i was in top ten, after half the race i was on 5th and in finish surprisingly at 2nd place (3 laps to end i was 4th) so use brain chose right tyres and patience pays of especialy in so long races, crash in T1 is not best way to start the race
(03-26-2018, 10:03 PM)Michal Janak Wrote:  todays Porsche GT1 was anothe nice example, started around 12th place, before T1 when try not hit car in fronts everybody from behind must be 1st at T1 so i fall to around 20th but then many of these "T1 winners" colided behind T1 or slide off track i try avoid everything in front but one contact with spun car was unawoidable when they moove after their spin, but at the end of lap 1 i was in top ten, after half the race i was on 5th and in finish surprisingly at 2nd place (3 laps to end i was 4th) so use brain chose right tyres  and patience pays of especialy in so long races, crash in T1 is not best way to start the race

Very Nice Michal ! Nice comeback!
Hey Guys,

I'm quiet new to simracing(only 13 Starts in SRS) and try to avoid to screw up in T1. Most of the time I qualify in the middle of the pack. But my race is already screwed up 3 times by somebody hitting me in the back or try to pass where he cant get in between. So frustrating.

Luckily I find that in SRS there are less incidents then in the online assetto mode. There you have sometimes several restarts.
I hope when i get better i will qualify more upfront and that the people where I'm now will be a buffer to avoid crashing into me.

See ya on track

Lars
Lars Mars
Gentdrivers Team
1st lap crashes are the main problem of sim racing. In my experience the “safest” game remains the bloody expensive iRacing. I guess thanks to the system of licenses depending only from the safety rating.