Hello There, Guest! Register

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Front windshield banner (filename: ext_banner.dds) transparency/visibility?
Question 
Greetings friends and skinners! I'm working on my first livery (for the Audi TT Cup) and I'm doing a ridiculous Mexican rug pattern on the hood and roof. It's obnoxious and fun at the same time.  Tongue 
I prefer to not have the top windshield banner visible (for aesthetics and because I prefer to not have my view partially restricted by the windshield banner when racing in VR).
Is there a way to make it completely transparent or invisible?  Huh
Thank you!

Attached Files Thumbnail(s)

Try making the alphalayer of the banner completely black.
That might work. I'm not at my computer right now, so i can't check it, but it's worth a shot!
Let us know how it goes.
Thanks for the reply. When I open the .dds file in Photoshop the only layer I see is a "background layer." I don't see an alpha layer. I can make the color of that fully white or fully black, but that changes the banner to be opaque white or black, not invisible. If I use the magic eraser to make the background layer transparent and save the file, it reverts to solid white when I preview the car.

Do I need to change the DDS format in the save dialog to get the alpha channel to appear? I'm currently using the default of DXT5 which says "interpolated alpha".

My bad, it had been a while since I used Photoshop. Alpha is a channel, not a layer. Found it and filled it in 100% black.

The banner is still opaque, however, when viewing my car.

Attached Files Thumbnail(s)

I've tried to get rid of this as well... it appears that it is not possible given how the model is told what to do on this particular part of the geometry. If you click on this geo in Content Manager's showroom and look at the properties of the material, here's what you get (note Blend Mode and Alpha Test):

[Image: 4NrrRQ7.png]

HOWEVER. If your only real goal is to not have your view obstructed, do as Robin suggested and make the alpha channel all black. This will make it so that you see absolutely none of it from inside the cockpit. It just doesn't effect the exterior.

Attached is my EXT_banner.dds where I have the old faded red to black SOB Racing banner, but on the inside of the car I see nothing.

[Image: W9BYgiGm.png]
[Image: SgUsYNpm.png]

Hope that helps!

Attached Files
.zip   EXT_banner.zip (Size: 45.21 KB / Downloads: 4)
Tutorial on how to use Autodesk Mudbox and Adobe Photoshop to make custom liveries! https://tinyurl.com/yaetz4qz
Grab my PDash Skins (an Assetto Corsa HUD app) here: https://tinyurl.com/y95ewubz
Russel is totally correct! 
I noticed last night that my banner wasn't visible form the inside (while it's there on the outside). I checked my psd-file and, yes, I had turned the alpha layer black.