Hello There, Guest! Register

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
TT Cup setup 1:31:999
(03-05-2018, 06:37 PM)Pawel Kusmierek Wrote:  
(03-05-2018, 03:41 PM)David Weber Wrote:  Wow, you drivers are fast! I hotlapped and the best I had was 1:44:922. I'm consistent and I hit my apexes. 

I'd say there is definitely room for improvement. This is so much off normal pace that I feel I need to ask: we are talking about Audi TT Cup, Brands Hatch GP, Assetto Corsa, right?  Track conditions set to something good?  Manual shifting? Using a steering wheel?

Correct Audi TT Cup. Assetto Corsa.
No, that 1:44:992 time was for Red Bull Ring. My personal best for Brands Hatch is in the 1:35:XXX range (with no P2P).

Using all factory assists for cars (e.g. ABS), but everything else off. Using a Fanatec CSL Elite setup with loadcell brake. I do have an H-pattern shifter, but the lap times I'm referring to were set with my paddle shifters.
(03-05-2018, 06:52 PM)David Weber Wrote:  
(03-05-2018, 06:37 PM)Pawel Kusmierek Wrote:  
(03-05-2018, 03:41 PM)David Weber Wrote:  Wow, you drivers are fast! I hotlapped and the best I had was 1:44:922. I'm consistent and I hit my apexes. 

I'd say there is definitely room for improvement. This is so much off normal pace that I feel I need to ask: we are talking about Audi TT Cup, Brands Hatch GP, Assetto Corsa, right?  Track conditions set to something good?  Manual shifting? Using a steering wheel?

Correct Audi TT Cup. Assetto Corsa.
No, that 1:44:992 time was for Red Bull Ring. My personal best for Brands Hatch is in the 1:35:XXX range (with no P2P).
Oh OK. I missed this very important bit of information :-)
Frenzy Conducive "Benzine Wagons" Being "Tuned-Up" By Mechanicians
Driving is more important than setup on this one. I've just gone to my brands setup and the default but with mediums. I can't beat 1:39.1 with either.
Shaun Clarke Racing (Previously TPCSimRacing) driver and painter.
https://www.facebook.com/PlankLiveries
David Weber
Wow, you drivers are fast! I hotlapped and the best I had was 1:44:922. I'm consistent and I hit my apexes. All my laps were within one second of that time (and I actually drove two back-to-back laps at 1:44:922 exactly).

Welcome to the world of 'there's always someone faster than you'. Even when I think I'm not losing any time and have run a perfect lap, there will be someone lapping over a second or two faster than me. What might help get your times down:
  1. Slow in, fast out - Don't try to outbrake yourself and gain tenths by late braking. Brake earlier and more gradually to optimise your entry and not rush the bend. For the exit corners (at least 70% of bends at most tracks) you want to get the power down as soon as possible. Before apex if possible. Once you crackhe throttle a bit, smoothly add throttle until it's wide open. Try not to chop it. If you rush the entry you'll be later on the gas at exit and lose far more time than you could have gained through late braking.
  2. Exit speed > corner speed - While you need to carry as much speed as possible through a bend to get the best exit, it's better to carry less corner speed and get on the gas sooner than rail round at the limit and delay getting back on the throttle. I'd rather go a couple mph slower and get on the gas before the apex than have those extra couple mph round the bend and not get on the gas until after apex.
  3.  Prioritise the bends before the longest straights - The faster you come out of these and the sooner you get on the throttle, the more speed you'll carry. On the longest straights this could mean carrying an extra few mph for about 8 seconds which could easily amount to a fair few car lengths.
  4. Next prioritise the longest, fastest bends - An extra 1 mph round a long, fast bend is going to be worth much more than an extra 5 mph around a tighter bend like the bus stop at Spa. 
  5. The faster you go, the more you need to brake - Or to the extreme, if you went round the track at 50 mph you'd probably not brake at all. When you first get to a track you might brake far too early for the first few laps. But then once you've got a basic braking reference point, don't be afraid to brake earlier as you get quicker. It's a fool's game trying to brake later and later. In fact, the faster you go, the more subtle you'll probably need to be with the controls so you might find you prefer getting to the brakes early and gently. Who cares about a few hundreths of a second full throttle at corner entry if you could lose tenths at the exit eh?
I'm going to stop myself before I get carried away but they are some of the things I focus on. Actually right now I'm working on improving my throttle and brake control at the first and last 5% of application. That final feather of brake towards the apex and the gentle crack on from the apex to the exit. Using the weight balance to steer..
Oh, and don't push too hard when practicing. You'll improve more if you're going about 80-90% of your max because you'll be more relaxed.
That's some great tips Owen
(03-05-2018, 05:26 PM)Michael Martin Wrote:  Make sure that the track settings are the same too. Mid clear and 20°c are fairly close to the servers.

At the rbr with the default setup and 30l fuel 1:40 is possible at Red bull ring. Practice is key with this car. Also being very careful with throttle application on exit. I think that is the most important.

Interesting where you use p2p Russell. I get more benefit deploying on the exit of slower corners not at high speeds like you.

When doing setup work I don't use p2p. That way I know it's car pace not just p2p making up any short full

LOL I shouldn't come in here and give advice like I know what I'm doing. I'm only slightly faster than mid-pack in the Audi! For all I know your application is going to pay way more dividends than where I'm doing it. Mostly I just figure I don't want to be shifting in the middle of my P2P window in order to get the most out of it, but it may very well be that mathematically dropping one coming out of a really slow corner and shifting 2-3 times during the P2P is going to yield overall faster lap times! If I had more free time (and wasn't somehow obsessed with painting cars just as much as driving them) I would conduct a scientific experiment where I do 16 laps with P2P on the longest straight and then 16 laps on the slowest corner before the longest straight and see what comes out on top.

(03-05-2018, 07:54 PM)Owen Pyrah Wrote:  [A whole lot of wisdom]

Yeah, I need to read this and re-read this two or three times before I get on the track every time. I am always trying to brake later and glide through corners at speed rather than taking later apexes at slower speed to get on the throttle faster. I KNOW that I should be doing the latter, but I never implement it.
Tutorial on how to use Autodesk Mudbox and Adobe Photoshop to make custom liveries! https://tinyurl.com/yaetz4qz
Grab my PDash Skins (an Assetto Corsa HUD app) here: https://tinyurl.com/y95ewubz
Lol, I'm no expert either. Just pass on what I've learned. I did a test when the TT came out and found lap times were quicker deploying at low speed. My thinking is get up to speed quicker and spend more time there than a higher speed but nearer the end of the straight.
I may crunch the numbers on the drag strip.

Personal aim is to get into the 38's
Makes sense to me to use P2P early on the straight. It lasts about as long as most straights anyway doesn't it?
(03-05-2018, 09:36 PM)Owen Pyrah Wrote:  Makes sense to me to use P2P early on the straight. It lasts about as long as most straights anyway doesn't it?

we have choices to make and @RBR there are multiple choices when to use P2P......it lasts 10 secs, it's a boost of 30 more HP, then you have to wait 20 secs to use it again, if you use it on the start/finish straight, it's not going to be available on the next long straight after turn 1, you could also use it after the sharp right hander or the right hander around the sand trap coming toward the last 2 turns, your choice and traffic matters, nothing worse than using P2P with nowhere to go. HINT: it is possible to use it 3 times in 1 lap @RBR
So is that 1:39:.103 at Red Bull Ring you're referring to with P2P or without P2P?