Hello There, Guest! Register

Thread Rating:
  • 2 Vote(s) - 5 Average
Assetto Corsa's default penalty system is all wrong for competitive racing.
Exclamation 
I think this platform is great. After a few races, I've had some good drives with other people. It's been a blast, and I'm looking forward to this platform someday taking off. Despite this, I find that Assetto Corsa, which is from what I can tell the most popular sim on this platform currently, suffers from its own penalty system. It may be down to the tracks or the series themselves, but some of the series or tracks suffer from Assetto Corsa's extremely strict and unforgiving penalties.

Today I've run 2 races on Monza: one 90's DTM race and one GT2 race. Both have started well but ended up being ruined by corner cuts being too strictly penalized. The GT2 race in particular was bad, since even just putting a couple wheels over a white line in certain parts of the track (the first two chicanes come to mind), can end up with drivers being told to slow down for 20 SECONDS!!! That's absolutely awful for a platform that wants to give drivers good competitive racing. It splits up the field enormously, making the best drivers surge ahead, while the newer/less skilled drivers like myself must be split up from any fair competition. I matched the pace of 2 other drivers in that GT2 race yet we ended up 5 seconds and 30 seconds apart respectively, almost solely due to penalties from barely cutting the track.

This could be Monza's fault, but I think some change should be done to get rid of this. It's incredibly annoying to slightly mess up a corner and end up 25 seconds behind as a result.

Doesn't Assetto Corsa's server system allow for customization? I think some sort of penalty system like iRacing's could be amazing in this situation: the game counts how many times you cut and it ends up affecting your rating. It would make racing so much more fun.
I was in the GT2 race. We were having a nice competitive time until the penalty system divided the field and it became a 10 lap trackday. An iRacing-style system would be much better.
(05-23-2016, 02:48 AM)Zach Buchanan Wrote:  I think this platform is great. After a few races, I've had some good drives with other people. It's been a blast, and I'm looking forward to this platform someday taking off. Despite this, I find that Assetto Corsa, which is from what I can tell the most popular sim on this platform currently, suffers from its own penalty system. It may be down to the tracks or the series themselves, but some of the series or tracks suffer from Assetto Corsa's extremely strict and unforgiving penalties.

Today I've run 2 races on Monza: one 90's DTM race and one GT2 race. Both have started well but ended up being ruined by corner cuts being too strictly penalized. The GT2 race in particular was bad, since even just putting a couple wheels over a white line in certain parts of the track (the first two chicanes come to mind), can end up with drivers being told to slow down for 20 SECONDS!!! That's absolutely awful for a platform that wants to give drivers good competitive racing. It splits up the field enormously, making the best drivers surge ahead, while the newer/less skilled drivers like myself must be split up from any fair competition. I matched the pace of 2 other drivers in that GT2 race yet we ended up 5 seconds and 30 seconds apart respectively, almost solely due to penalties from barely cutting the track.

This could be Monza's fault, but I think some change should be done to get rid of this. It's incredibly annoying to slightly mess up a corner and end up 25 seconds behind as a result.

Doesn't Assetto Corsa's server system allow for customization? I think some sort of penalty system like iRacing's could be amazing in this situation: the game counts how many times you cut and it ends up affecting your rating. It would make racing so much more fun.

hey Zach!
as you know I was on the DTM race at Monza and I end up quitting for the same reasons you just mentioned. I made a mistake and was severely penalized. I totally agree with you.
(btw, sorry for the contact during the quali. You were on your fast lap, I assumed that after your semi-slide you had discarded that lap. My bad)
(05-23-2016, 02:48 AM)Zach Buchanan Wrote:  I think some sort of penalty system like iRacing's could be amazing in this situation: the game counts how many times you cut and it ends up affecting your rating. It would make racing so much more fun.

There's already an app for that: PitLanePenalty
http://www.assettocorsa.net/forum/index....-13.17852/

It manages jump starts, too. Would be cool if implemented (at least for track cutting).
The problem is: can the system recognize players who don't have the app?

Anyway, that app is amazing =)
My opinion: It is the same for all drivers, so simply stay on track and you are fine  and competitive Wink

During practice you should recognize it, so just avoid it.