Hello There, Guest! Register

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
I Need To Set My Car Up
After my first couple of Raceroom events today I definitely need to make my car faster. At Monza in WTCC 2017 I qualified last after running a few inches wide at the final chicane then running out of time. In the race I thought I would be able to make up a few places but no chance. I soon realised that my Lada Vesta was not quick enough. I passed a couple of competitors who had gone off track and they very quickly caught me and passed me on the straight like I was going backwards. I felt like I was driving with the handbrake on. Next time I will reduce fuel load, rear wing and see what else I can do. I want to make my own setups not just copy someone else's so if anybody has any suggestions what to change to improve performance please feel free to reply.
AMD FX4100 Bulldozer @ 3.6GHZ | Gigabyte GTX1060 6GB | 8GB RAM | Logitech G920
(02-27-2018, 11:17 PM)Glyn Goold Wrote:  After my first couple of Raceroom events today I definitely need to make my car faster. At Monza in WTCC 2017 I qualified last after running a few inches wide at the final chicane then running out of time. In the race I thought I would be able to make up a few places but no chance. I soon realised that my Lada Vesta was not quick enough. I passed a couple of competitors who had gone off track and they very quickly caught me and passed me on the straight like I was going backwards. I felt like I was driving with the handbrake on. Next time I will reduce fuel load, rear wing and see what else I can do. I want to make my own setups not just copy someone else's so if anybody has any suggestions what to change to improve performance please feel free to reply.

For Monza you mostly need top speed. The factors that contribute to that the most are (depending on the sim of course) wing settings – the lower the higher the top speed –, and ride height – again, lower ride height equals lower drag equals higher top speed. Fuel load should mostly help with acceleration in all directions, e.g. actual acceleration, turning and braking, and thus contributes more to reaching your top speed faster rather than changing it (at least, if we assume that you didn't drive with a setting that was completely off).

If you reduce ride height you should keep in mind, that this can cause your car to bottom out if you go too low. Since Monza is relatively flat this shouldn't be too much of a problem, but you should make sure than you can go over the kerbs, especially in T1 and the chicanes, without unsettling your car.
(02-28-2018, 09:04 AM)Michael Singhof Wrote:  
(02-27-2018, 11:17 PM)Glyn Goold Wrote:  After my first couple of Raceroom events today I definitely need to make my car faster. At Monza in WTCC 2017 I qualified last after running a few inches wide at the final chicane then running out of time. In the race I thought I would be able to make up a few places but no chance. I soon realised that my Lada Vesta was not quick enough. I passed a couple of competitors who had gone off track and they very quickly caught me and passed me on the straight like I was going backwards. I felt like I was driving with the handbrake on. Next time I will reduce fuel load, rear wing and see what else I can do. I want to make my own setups not just copy someone else's so if anybody has any suggestions what to change to improve performance please feel free to reply.

For Monza you mostly need top speed. The factors that contribute to that the most are (depending on the sim of course) wing settings – the lower the higher the top speed –, and ride height – again, lower ride height equals lower drag equals higher top speed. Fuel load should mostly help with acceleration in all directions, e.g. actual acceleration, turning and braking, and thus contributes more to reaching your top speed faster rather than changing it (at least, if we assume that you didn't drive with a setting that was completely off).

If you reduce ride height you should keep in mind, that this can cause your car to bottom out if you go too low. Since Monza is relatively flat this shouldn't be too much of a problem, but you should make sure than you can go over the kerbs, especially in T1 and the chicanes, without unsettling your car.

Thanks Michael for the good advice. I reduced the wing and ride height and immediately went faster.
AMD FX4100 Bulldozer @ 3.6GHZ | Gigabyte GTX1060 6GB | 8GB RAM | Logitech G920