Hello There, Guest! Register

Thread Rating:
  • 1 Vote(s) - 4 Average
MX5 Cup Series - Time of Day/Brightness
Raced yesterday (Jan 22) with the MX5 Cup at Road Atlanta and found the track conditions to be quite dark.  Perhaps it is just me, my old eyes, slow reflexes and low FPS with a full grid,  but I had a tough time picking up my braking and turning points.  Love this track and this car is a blast on it,  but I am reluctant to race it due to the darkness.  I noted that there were a lot of 'offs' and I suspect that much of that was due to acclimatization to the conditions vs unfamiliarity with the track.  As I recall, Road America was like that too but it was a much flatter, wide open track so it was not so much of an issue.  The fast guys, however, are always fast and immune to this so maybe I'm just being a complaining old fart!
(01-23-2018, 04:01 PM)Don Debienne Wrote:  Raced yesterday (Jan 22) with the MX5 Cup at Road Atlanta and found the track conditions to be quite dark.  Perhaps it is just me, my old eyes, slow reflexes and low FPS with a full grid,  but I had a tough time picking up my braking and turning points.  Love this track and this car is a blast on it,  but I am reluctant to race it due to the darkness.  I noted that there were a lot of 'offs' and I suspect that much of that was due to acclimatization to the conditions vs unfamiliarity with the track.  As I recall, Road America was like that too but it was a much flatter, wide open track so it was not so much of an issue.  The fast guys, however, are always fast and immune to this so maybe I'm just being a complaining old fart!

It's dark and the clouds( or dusk, dawn) almost match the pavement color....I can't understand why they don't heed the complaints from many drivers, not just you. Maybe the midday sun won't brighten it, IDK.
The darker times of day certainly don't improve my driving any. I'm more annoyed by the shadows of nearby netting and whatnot that make my windshield flash. If the GF is in the room I have to make sure she looks away since she gets migraines from flickering lights. No joke.
Tutorial on how to use Autodesk Mudbox and Adobe Photoshop to make custom liveries! https://tinyurl.com/yaetz4qz
Grab my PDash Skins (an Assetto Corsa HUD app) here: https://tinyurl.com/y95ewubz
I found it quite alright, for the record. Maybe I am on a faster computer so FPS were Ok. I actually thought it was very pretty, with the circuit lights on as the sun was setting.

Either way, I understand your complaint and request. We've already had this issue in the past and I've complained myself and admins got it better so, if it's an issue for someone, I am up for brighter races.
Driving in VR with this lighting is terrible, and moderately depressing, when using mid to heavy-clouds (on almost any track). The distance is just a blur of track-car-sky.
I suggest only use Clear or Light-cloud weather, at least for the actual race session.
Thanks!
Yes.

I personally find it quite romantic to drive at sunset but I totally understand why other people don’t like that. I’d also say a more neutral time would be better for many people (around 14:00 or something).
Amazing list of awesome achievements: 5th Lotus 25 2018, 4th DRM 2019, 5th Williams FW14 vs. Ferrari 643 2019, 3rd Ferrari 312T vs. Lotus 72D 2020
I agree, and in 2D it's fine...and in comparison, PC2 looks fantastic using VR, with the time-lapse sunrises, weather, etc.
AC just isn't optimized to do that and the definition/contrast in low light are lost in VR driving. Certain turns need to "feel-the-force-luke" to stay on track (as the OP mentioned about run-offs).
I like everything in Clear weather for AC because it's the best it's probably going to get for VR.
This is my preferred game: I get 90fps very consistently, great FFB, many tracks and cars. Only the weather falls a bit short when the sunshine starts to fade.
Road Atlanta was very dark. What's the problem with clear day. I can watch outside window during winter time and its dark.
Not enjoy watching screen which is dark too.
You can press "PageUp" to increase the exposure. It works in VR too, I usually set it to 200% with overcast weather.
Agree with OP. I don't mind the clouds, but we need more sun. Will try the exposure thing.