Hello There, Guest! Register

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
SRS TV Rules
Hi all,
I've watched a couple of SRS TV streams and have a few suggestions on the rules used.
Race rules:
  1. If your focused on the lead car in a group, never use the in car or chase car views as you can't see what going on behind; The interesting action is the person behind setting up passing opportunities;
  2. Prefer races at the front of the pack vs middle or back, if nothing is going on up front prefer the middle of the pack over the back (i.e 50-60% of the coverage should the the action going on at the front of the field);
  3. Stay with a pack of cars longer, atm it flicks about to much. In the streams I've watched just as a someone lines up a move to pass you switch to watching people at the back of the grid running each other off the road
  4. Turn the floating names above the cars so it's easier to see who people are;
Qualifying rules: 
  1. Avoid cars who are close together, these tend to be idiots who think Quali is a race...
  2. Change the rules to focus on the person currently setting the pace
  3. Stay with them for the whole lap
  4. In car & chase cams are better used here
  5. Being able to show timing graphics here would be good but probably out of your control
BTW, this is a great system you've put together, I'm a Software Engineer and I'm very impressed with the work you've put in.
(01-09-2018, 03:56 PM)Andy Long Wrote:  Hi all,
I've watched a couple of SRS TV streams and have a few suggestions on the rules used.
Race rules:
  1. If your focused on the lead car in a group, never use the in car or chase car views as you can't see what going on behind; The interesting action is the person behind setting up passing opportunities;
  2. Prefer races at the front of the pack vs middle or back, if nothing is going on up front prefer the middle of the pack over the back (i.e 50-60% of the coverage should the the action going on at the front of the field);
  3. Stay with a pack of cars longer, atm it flicks about to much. In the streams I've watched just as a someone lines up a move to pass you switch to watching people at the back of the grid running each other off the road
  4. Turn the floating names above the cars so it's easier to see who people are;
Qualifying rules: 
  1. Avoid cars who are close together, these tend to be idiots who think Quali is a race...
  2. Change the rules to focus on the person currently setting the pace
  3. Stay with them for the whole lap
  4. In car & chase cams are better used here
  5. Being able to show timing graphics here would be good but probably out of your control
BTW, this is a great system you've put together, I'm a Software Engineer and I'm very impressed with the work you've put in.
Couldnt agree more, it is good  see someone putting on words exactly what I think..

I was going to start a thread about this but never bothered... 

Sometimes I send my friends  the links for the live transmission, but their complains are just the same, we agree that it is not pleasent to watch via youtube, this is a fact...

Hope this has a solution, and of course, thanks again and keep the good work!
SURVIVING ROOKIES - Legendado PT-BR.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8LJcb-_LcUE

"If one does not fail at times, then one has not challenged himslef."
- Ferdinand Porsche
I agree too. But I think there is no one doing the videos, I mean like a person or individual. If I understand things correctly around here, It is all automated and runs by itself. There is no particular person doing those videos, and the very same reason why there are no commentator/s during live streams which I think will raise the bar ten folds if they have them. I think the way it runs depend on the "rules" the admin program it to do. But to sense or recognize where there is crashes, passing or any other interesting action will be very hard to write as a program, as only humans can tell what is interesting or not. Setting up live streams and having people man them is going to be expensive. It's not gonna work especially if you don't pay the individuals who will do that. It's not impossible though. But as SRS stands today, we are still far away from that since everything in here are free...
On the topic, I would like to say that I already suggested the use of BCast instead of ACTV. The actual broadcasts seem to just dully swap between drivers and cameras. Some cameras look terrible, especially some onboard cameras from mods which are not properly set. On Bcast, at least the action gets focus, plus the overlay is much richer.

In addition to that, giving a +1 to the idea of commented broadcasts. I know that here everything is automated and that a commented broadcast, even with human camera control, would be an awesome thing. I'd volunteer to comment on a race gladly. Maybe at least one race a week, something special.

On that thread, sometimes I think that SRS is getting to the point in which yes, it is a great system, which is mostly automated, it is working. I assume admins have done a huge deal of work to make this happen and keep on doing it to keep it working, bringing new features and tweaking and fixing. All really great so far and I really praise and congratulate them for what they have built and achieved.

Now, I get to the point in which I wonder what would it be like when we payed for it. I imagine this idea would repel many people, but I'd gladly pay about 10 euros/year to have a better SRS. I know this is a huge whole standalone topic, but if a small fee could get the admins to focus on SRS and work on it full time, taking it to the next level and giving them the time and freedom to implement all these suggestions that we bring to the table, I'd be even happier. And it that small fee would be a drawback for all the guys who really don't love simracing like I do, that would be even better.

Anyway, I had to bring that out by now, so thanks for reading.
(01-09-2018, 04:25 PM)João Dias Wrote:  Sometimes I send my friends  the links for the live transmission, but their complains are just the same, we agree that it is not pleasent to watch via youtube, this is a fact..."

What Do you mean by not pleasant to watch on YouTube.
Sometime my friend helps me as my "engineer" by telling me the gap and the faster times, pit entry's and such (I like racing with no HUD for a better immersion besides tyre temps and fuel, so I rely on him about the rest)
and watching it through Youtube, is just fine since mobile users can watch them too,
Specially that kind of people who use what's app 24/7. Drop a link to them and they watch in an instant
(01-10-2018, 03:47 PM)Giuseppe Gnazzo Wrote:  
(01-09-2018, 04:25 PM)João Dias Wrote:  Sometimes I send my friends  the links for the live transmission, but their complains are just the same, we agree that it is not pleasent to watch via youtube, this is a fact..."

What Do you mean by not pleasant to watch on YouTube.
Sometime my friend helps me as my "engineer" by telling me the gap and the faster times, pit entry's and such (I like racing with no HUD for a better immersion besides tyre temps and fuel, so I rely on him about the rest)
and watching it through Youtube, is just fine since mobile users can watch them too,
Specially that kind of people who use what's app 24/7. Drop a link to them and they watch in an instant

No, the sight itself is just fine, and yea it is very practical to watch in youtube, but what i meant is that as a broadcast it is not  pleasant to watch. This because the reasons Andy already pointed out, but mainly because it seems the camera jump randomly too fast (or focus a bit into some action but then changes to another scene ignoring what actually is going on and missing the overtakes itself quite often).
Personally I cant  understand what is going on during the race by the transmissions.. I can only see the names and times panel to figure it out.. 
Some friends even reported dizziness from the videos (not literally, overeacting to get a point, obviously lol)

I am not complaining, dont get me wrong... these transmissions are actually the main reason I learned how to do skins for AC in the first place,  and we are just sharing our impressions hoping that the system always improve as would like...

As Javier pointed, maybe the issue is how this specific automated system works, changing for another system may improve the broadcast... And this is what I imagined the Rules Andy was talking about are, some programming rules you could set in this broadcast app.
SURVIVING ROOKIES - Legendado PT-BR.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8LJcb-_LcUE

"If one does not fail at times, then one has not challenged himslef."
- Ferdinand Porsche
I agree to paying something for a better SRS, but I can also see how others may dislike that idea... What I am thinking is the best of both worlds. Maybe the admins can set up a paypal for donations. Donate who can donate but no string attached. Meaning no special treatment if you donated for that will give some bragging rights to those who donated, regardless how much, and may induce bullying around here. I am willing to donate without any reward. Don't even thank me or mention my name, I will still be happy... As long as a few things here and there will improve.
Well, one possible perk for paid supporters could be having advertisement removed, for example.