Hello There, Guest! Register

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
MX-5 with autoclutch is for boys...
You can shift all cars without the clutch when you know how – I don’t know how common this is in today’s racing though. They definitely didn’t use the clutch in F1 when they had standard gear boxes though.
Amazing list of awesome achievements: 5th Lotus 25 2018, 4th DRM 2019, 5th Williams FW14 vs. Ferrari 643 2019, 3rd Ferrari 312T vs. Lotus 72D 2020
At this point it would be interesting to know some stats from SRS. Like in RSRLiveTiming where you can spot the user's gear for every record.
[img]https://steamsignature.com/card/0/76561197972645414.png[/img]
(01-11-2018, 10:52 AM)James Bell Wrote:  
(01-11-2018, 09:18 AM)Simon Meisinger Wrote:  I don’t think the clutch pedals are the problem, it’s actually the shifters and their lack of feedback.

In race cars the clutch is only used for starting and when you’re going slow anyways. But to properly shift without the clutch, you need to feel the shifter or at least it should prevent you from shifting when not possible.

That only applies to cars with sequential or dog boxes,  a standard manual as the MX5 has required the clutch to change gears

Yeah true with the MX-5. Although technically you can clutchless shift in just about any car but risk damaging your synchros if you get the revs wrong.
(01-11-2018, 11:52 AM)Simon Meisinger Wrote:  You can shift all cars without the clutch when you know how – I don’t know how common this is in today’s racing though. They definitely didn’t use the clutch in F1 when they had standard gear boxes though.

You can, but not for long. Normal gearboxes are not prepared to be used without the clutch.
And no, F1 cars have special gearboxes and if I recall correctly, they have autoclutch managed by the electronics. Even at the start, they only have to release the clutch and then electronics take control of everything
I was talking about F1 cars until the early 90s ("when they had standard gear boxes").

And I'm quite sure you don't do harm when you shift wihtout the clutch. It's just that it will definitely damage the transmission when you're doing it wrong too often ;-)
Amazing list of awesome achievements: 5th Lotus 25 2018, 4th DRM 2019, 5th Williams FW14 vs. Ferrari 643 2019, 3rd Ferrari 312T vs. Lotus 72D 2020
Ups, misunderstood that, yes. But, I think they did use it, at least to downshift
I am for realistic shifting