Hello There, Guest! Register

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
M235i Series
Hi all, i wanna know if someone else has the same opionion as me of this series:
first of all, i really like 1h races,  i like the fact you have more time to study a way to pass, the strategy of the pit, the "time battles" when you gain lap by lap something, in 20 minutses races, people are more aggressive and lucky factor is a big key.  
but with this car, at least for me, the series doesn't work, i still enjoy to race, but less than the previus GT2/3  because of those things:
1) pit stop strategy is useless, near everyone used soft-soft as pit strategy on gt2/3, so after 30 minutes those tyres are pretty used, and makes the undercut strategy very nice if you are near someone, because fresh tyres will give you the 1 second to pass who is in front of you, with the BMW everyone (who doesn't is dead..) uses H tyres and few fuel for the pit, so the under/over cut is near useless, you can gain only if you are a lot faster per lap by yourself,  because the tyres are the same.
2) they are too easy and underpowered, that makes very hard to pass someone, or gaining something if you do an error/someone hit you (more the second, because they are easy), a bad start, a hit on t1 etc.. and you know you almost already lost the race.

maybe it's only me, let's talk about it  Smile
I just ran that race with H tyres no change to see if i could( after getting booted from game crash) and i was able to do my fastest laps in last 5 min of race 1:41.3's anyway so maybe I'll try try no change in pit with H tyres.
Both M and H tyres last a long time on this BMW.

You could probably do 2 hours on one set of Hard tyres if you wanted to. So I agree the strategy game doesn't work as well with these cars. However, they are great cars for racing and reward people who can use the full amount of torque offered by keeping it smooth through the corners. If you try to drive too aggressively you end up sliding and losing all your speed. It's sort of like a 'momentum car' in many ways but it has enough OOMPH! to keep itself going.
They do have 333bhp and 500Nm torque after all.

My favourite thing about the car though...the fact that it has not just a 7th gear that you can't use, but an 8th gear as well xD Damn road car with Eco-gears.
I did a whole race on Softs...60% wear by the end and getting lapped by much quicker cars at the end too as it was so slow in the corners.
My biggest concern with the two races I've done in the BMW is the appalling race craft of people on the first lap. It's an hour of racing you dopes...it's not need for speed! You want to pass me because you are as skilled as Max Verstappen? Cool, maybe plan it a few corners ahead rather than just ramming me off the track.
(01-05-2018, 07:09 PM)Ross Macfarlane Wrote:  Both M and H tyres last a long time on this BMW.

You could probably do 2 hours on one set of Hard tyres if you wanted to. So I agree the strategy game doesn't work as well with these cars. However, they are great cars for racing and reward people who can use the full amount of torque offered by keeping it smooth through the corners. If you try to drive too aggressively you end up sliding and losing all your speed. It's sort of like a 'momentum car' in many ways but it has enough OOMPH! to keep itself going.
They do have 333bhp and 500Nm torque after all.

My favourite thing about the car though...the fact that it has not just a 7th gear that you can't use, but an 8th gear as well xD Damn road car with Eco-gears.

yes, i aggre, it's a bit strange car, on low-mid speed cornes is fun to drive because it sticks on the tarmac, but fast corners omg no... need to steer 1 minute before the corner, maybe it's my setup (at spa i used the same setup of Okayama)
 looks more like a FWD more than a RWD, 
 and the gears.. well, even first and second are nearly useless  Big Grin
Indeed with this car, the strategy of the stands is of little interest. however, the one who is regular, on such a long race is often rewarded compared to the aggressive and impatient driver.

I also regret the bad behavior of some drivers, even on the server 1, during my last race, braking at the end of the straight, huge accident, I am out of effect "snowball". It is quite heartbreaking, there is 1 hour of race, no need to try to overtake on the first corner.

In addition the incidentology is important on the srs races, it is very frustrating to be lowered its ratio because of imprudent pilot.

I do not know what could be done to limit the phenomenon? Prohibit overtaking in the first round? Start throwing?
I fully agree with you Stefano...

I really like the longer races over the 20min sprints. The 1hr events with GT2 and GT3 cars have been really nice in the last few seasons.

This car just doesn't do it for me though. I did the very first race at Riverside Long for the American time slot and that was it.
I have yet to do another race, mostly due to the dislike of this car. The racing is much closer though in a turd like this, I agree.
But when you take the time to pass correctly and get a run, you end up staying beside the guy way way too long.
This brings about more contact opportunities because you end up side by side for so long sometimes, and this is where the mistakes occur.

Pit strategy is totally out the window now I feel. I think you can go the whole race on Mediums and stop for 1L of fuel in the window and be fine.
In the race I did, I assumed I would need tires at mid race, so I only took 1/2 fuel I needed as well. I shoulda filled her up for a quick stop-n-go mid race though.

Really disappointed with the 1Hr races this season I guess. But, OH WELL, you can't make everyone happy and I understand this.
I've decided to shift my focus to other series instead. It just means I have to run 20min Sprints instead of the 1Hr races that I really prefer.
Cool Respectfully..... Stan Donit Cool
(01-07-2018, 09:12 PM)Stan Donit Wrote:  I fully agree with you Stefano...

I really like the longer races over the 20min sprints. The 1hr events with GT2 and GT3 cars have been really nice in the last few seasons.

This car just doesn't do it for me though. I did the very first race at Riverside Long for the American time slot and that was it.
I have yet to do another race, mostly due to the dislike of this car. The racing is much closer though in a turd like this, I agree.
But when you take the time to pass correctly and get a run, you end up staying beside the guy way way too long.
This brings about more contact opportunities because you end up side by side for so long sometimes, and this is where the mistakes occur.

Pit strategy is totally out the window now I feel. I think you can go the whole race on Mediums and stop for 1L of fuel in the window and be fine.
In the race I did, I assumed I would need tires at mid race, so I only took 1/2 fuel I needed as well. I shoulda filled her up for a quick stop-n-go mid race though.

Really disappointed with the 1Hr races this season I guess. But, OH WELL, you can't make everyone happy and I understand this.
I've decided to shift my focus to other series instead. It just means I have to run 20min Sprints instead of the 1Hr races that I really prefer.

you can see here (that race was made after my first post) https://youtu.be/Wq5cUaFDHkU?t=25m57s  Matias overshoot the last corner, in that lap, and i passed him, after that he stayed behind me of like a second the whole race, he is a good and respectuful driver so he didn't ram me, and we nearly lapped everyone  Big Grin ,but without error of who is front, or ramming, it's very hard to pass in most circuit, even if he pitted 1 lap before me, at the exit i was still in front of him  (useless undercut..) 

i think in some tracks you can do the race with medium, but in the tracks thats are very heavy on 1 tyre, like Okayama and front left, Hard have the same pace and faster in the end, because the heavily used tyre doesn't overheat or pass the optimal psi and lose grip.

anyway the races are still fun, they are close, but i think this car is better for 20 minutes race, maybe with some other GT4 as contender could have been better. 

they are just costructive critics for future seasons  Smile

and for me, it would be nice to have the Group C cars for 1h race, maybe not daily (i don't think there will be a lot of people in group c daily, they are hard to drive for new drivers), but only on the weekends
I love that the car is nice and slidey, almost like a vintage Trans Am car. So I much prefer this car to modern GT4 GT3 etc which I find pretty boring to drive.
But you guys are making a good point about the tire strategy. The tires just don't degrade enough to need changing. And H tires are basically as fast as M tires.
I am yet to start a race in this car, and I doubt it will ever happen. I just don't like this car and can't stand to do more than 6 laps on it. I was very quiet about my feelings so not to offend anyone, I also thought that maybe I'm just getting grumpy from aging.. I didn't want to offend myself or anyone else especially the admin. I mean the effort they do is unprecedented and equal to none. But since you guys seems to feel the same way as I, then here's my 2 cents...

This car is a fail for hour long races... No set up variants, No strategy. The first time I drove this car instantly I know, there is nothing to set up for. It's actually worse than the MX-5. Not that the MX-5 is bad, it's actually pretty good, much better and much more fun than this. It's just as slow is what I mean. No clutch, no tires, no set ups... Not good for 1H races. I'd take the MX-5 to any endurance race but not this car.

For 1 hour races, any car that is not similar to GT3 speed and technicality is not going to be good. If you want a spec series for 1 hour races, there's a ton of cars available out there than this. A hint maybe is if all the set up tabs are open to tweak, then maybe that is a good car. One thing to take notice about hour long race participants is the technical side of the race that these drivers want to take on. There is technique, strategy and effort being put on the table from every participant. This car is good for quick and dirty races, because it is a quick and dirty car. For hour long races, a much more technical car is needed.

To SRS admin, please accept my apology. I know it's free, and I know you are doing your best to grow and maintain drivers. Getting ideas and listening to multiple drivers saying the same thing may help. Cheers to you and thanks for all the effort!