Hello There, Guest! Register

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Personal Skins
I've just created my first AC skin yesterday and remembered this thread. Shouldn't it be fairly simple to at least notify people if they used other people's skins?

I mean, SRS knows the name of the user logged in (e.g., John Smith) and the name of the skin the user attempts to select. It could check when this does NOT match the user name (e.g., james_hunt) and warn the user accordingly. Maybe after validating that the selected skin name conforms to the SRS personal skin naming rules (only lowercase and _), in order to avoid warning on default skins. Perhaps it also has access to the JSON file and use that, e.g., if all the default skins have an empty name field.

My skin is fairly simple so I wouldn't mind much if people used it, but the surely are folks out there who invested quite a lot of time designing theirs.
The easiest way has been discussed in the thread already: make your preview.jpg something that is obviously not the default preview.jpg you find on stock skins. If you are really paranoid about it, don't even include a picture of your car in the preview.jpg. Not likely that people will pick your skin then if they can't see how cool (or ugly) it looks at livery selection.

At livery selection the website is looking at the available skins you have saved for any given car for a race you are signing up for, but it can't tell the difference between a custom SRS skin (firstname_lastname) from any other skin you have on your hard drive (including stock skins). With the number of cars in AC, I don't think that would be a worthwhile addition of functionality. You'd have to like... create a database of all of the stock skin names for all the cars you'd ever have a racing series for, and compare against that? Or change the functionality of the SRS skin app to not only upload skins, but also report in to some central database saying "skins named russell_sobie are SRS skins" and then the livery page checking in with that data base to see if someone is trying to select a registered SRS skin that doesn't match their name.

Seems like a nightmare to set up, and as annoyed as some folks in this thread seem to be at other people using their skins, it really isn't that big a deal in the grand scheme of things. I've been in races where someone using my skin (that was not me) was the most annoying guy on the track that day.  At this point I just shrug and keep racing. I still offer them my free livery service, but again, still no takers. Big Grin
Tutorial on how to use Autodesk Mudbox and Adobe Photoshop to make custom liveries! https://tinyurl.com/yaetz4qz
Grab my PDash Skins (an Assetto Corsa HUD app) here: https://tinyurl.com/y95ewubz
Interestin... i'm going to add player name and flag on the sides of my skin 8)

...i did it!

[Image: ?interpolation=lanczos-none&output-forma...|900%3A576]

there's also a small SRS logo.