Hello There, Guest! Register

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
How realistic is AC?
A few weeka ago I did a trackday at Cadwell Park in the UK. It was in an MG zs 180 that I bought for £150. I had problems with my brakes all day and at the end of the video they fail totally at the end of the straight, I was doing 104mph when I went for the brakes and nothing. So I had to use the handbrake and gears to scrub off some speed, ended up doing a handbrake turn at 100mph which scrubbed off 50mph to minimise impact into airfence.
Anyway, the comparison between the sim and the real thing is very good, the lines the braking points, the technique of getting on the gas early etc put you in very good place. The one thing that the sim doesn't recreate though is the G force and the balls factor lol. Pushing faster and faster into conrers takes bravery which on a sim you don't need at all, if you crash then you just re-join. So overall the driving element is bang on its just the reality factor that makes the difference in real life. Great fun.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZqPD2VAcc7o
Thanks for sharing, glad nothing happened to you :-)

Another important aspect missing in sims is the lack of physical effort, which is even more important, I think.

Because I don’t think people with actual experience need a lot of balls to go around a modern circuit (although it’s definitely a whole other deal even for experienced people on crazy tracks like the Isle of Men and of course Rally racing).
Amazing list of awesome achievements: 5th Lotus 25 2018, 4th DRM 2019, 5th Williams FW14 vs. Ferrari 643 2019, 3rd Ferrari 312T vs. Lotus 72D 2020
Yeah physical effort is definitely a factor. I was on slicks but standard seat and seat belt. With the g force I was sliding out of the seat so had to use my legs to brace myself.
Great video, glad you are ok.

Physical effort - that´s why many people do simracing, because they might be not able to do it in real life.

Few of the things I miss the most on AC are visual damage (if you crash big, your front wing or other parts will stay on the car. If the front wing would be off, you would have to pit and you would be more careful in these situations), and then for sure I miss the weather changes (rain etc.) and the night, which would be awesome to drive during night
NEVER GIVE UP!
Yeah I agree, also think the contact model is a bit off as in real cars you can touch without spinning straight off.
I also think the curbs collision (especially GT3's at nordschleife) is not really good. I've been there multiple times in real life standing at Wippermann, seeing GT3 cars going over that curb like its nothing. Also onboards show that it does not unsettle the car much, but in AC you need to be reeeeaally careful if you dont want to get thrown off into the barrier. Watching gt3 cars going over curbs in slow motion in ac shows that once the car touches the curb with the right front wheel for example it will lose contact to the surface immediatly. But whats wrong is that also the left front wheel will lose surface contact and the whole car is lifted into the air. Whereas in reality the left wheel should be pressed onto the surface when the right one goes up. I also noticed that street cars and especially formula cars react much more gentle to curbs, why i did this comparison video: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3XznBUjwDoY
Also mentioned it on the official forums but they dont care....
Spot on Smile
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AOw4xEKUbdA&t=5s

Another video, following a clio turbo with 340bhp.
Nice vid crispin, was that your first time at cadwell? Ive been there as a passenger in some mx5's, some were fairly modded, great track, definitely gonna drive it next year in my mx5. I've been doing trackdays at blyton park this year and I can definitely say since getting a decent wheel and vr it makes you better in real life. When I used to play gt5 back in 2010 I did a trackday at brands hatch in my old 306gti and I didn't really feel playing gt5 made me any better on track. But in ac driving the mx5 with 3 pedals and shifter and being able to practise heel toe etc made me much better on track I think, I had quite a bit of praise from my mates who had been doing trackdays in mx5's for years. I do think iracing is more realistic than ac, the mx5 anyway, but I find iracing gets a bit boring, ac's physics is more fun, plus its an absolute joke how much it costs, maybe if it wasn't so expensive I would play that instead of ac, who knows.

So crispin, what's your next plan for a trackcar? take it the mg was totalled?
The MG actually had no damage at all, the airfence was amazing. I'm hopefully going racing in the classic MK1 MR2 championship if I can get the funds together.
Cadwell is amazing, I'm originally from Lincoln so it's my home track, never driven it before in a car but have raced supermoto there loads of times when I used to race.
I was a bit envious of the mx5s on track, rwd is so much more fun.
I tried iracing and just couldn't get the ffb feeling anywhere near AC on my TS pc racer wheel, I was so disappointed. Total rip off as well

A few supermoto pics