Hello There, Guest! Register

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Too much contact on races
Contact is definitely part of racing, i don't think anyone would deny that contact won't ever happen. In simracing, it's a bit different though, because there's warping, because of client, or server lag, plus the collision box of the cars is a vastly simplified one, so there can be ghost contact, thus contacts should rather be tried to avoid in most cases. Of course, it still happens, and that's ok, it's just that people should watch out a bit, and try to avoid contact where they can.
(11-25-2017, 12:36 PM)Jan Dziock Wrote:  Contact is definitely part of racing, i don't think anyone would deny that contact won't ever happen. In simracing, it's a bit different though, because there's warping, because of client, or server lag, plus the collision box of the cars is a vastly simplified one, so there can be ghost contact, thus contacts should rather be tried to avoid in most cases. Of course, it still happens, and that's ok, it's just that people should watch out a bit, and try to avoid contact where they can.

This. Also, in professional racing in real life, everyone on the grid is a super hero compared to 99% of sim racers. Any sort of contact is likely easily dealt with by folks who live and breathe this stuff on a daily basis, whereas most of us have day jobs. Tongue
Tutorial on how to use Autodesk Mudbox and Adobe Photoshop to make custom liveries! https://tinyurl.com/yaetz4qz
Grab my PDash Skins (an Assetto Corsa HUD app) here: https://tinyurl.com/y95ewubz
An automated instant penalty system for incidents might not work so well. Conventional wisdom would dictate that when a driver is hit from behind it's almost always the fault of the following driver, but there are times when a car in front is on the brakes at a point on the track you'd expect them to be accelerating, like in a corner exit. In those times it can be difficult to avoid hitting them.
(12-05-2017, 01:45 AM)Andy Rohrer Wrote:  An automated instant penalty system for incidents might not work so well. Conventional wisdom would dictate that when a driver is hit from behind it's almost always the fault of the following driver, but there are times when a car in front is on the brakes at a point on the track you'd expect them to be accelerating, like in a corner exit.  In those times it can be difficult to avoid hitting them.

That's somewhat part of the point I made above. Not everyone on the server has put in hundreds and hundreds (or even dozens and dozens) of hours doing laps in a car on a specific track. It is quite likely that quite a few folks in any given race are seeing the current car/track combo for the FIRST TIME EVER. Being right on someone's tail who fits this description is very likely going to result in you plowing into them at the next semi-challenging corner. I pretty much assume that if someone in front of me does not have lap times in the top five on the server that they don't know a perfect line or a handle on brake points or corner exits, and I'll watch them closely before trying any sort of overtake. 

You can avoid hitting them by assuming they aren't a professional race car driver and then pretending that you are both driving vehicles worth well over your yearly salary.
Tutorial on how to use Autodesk Mudbox and Adobe Photoshop to make custom liveries! https://tinyurl.com/yaetz4qz
Grab my PDash Skins (an Assetto Corsa HUD app) here: https://tinyurl.com/y95ewubz
Yea I think it is pretty unfair how this is treated.
I always try to talk to people before fulfill a protest form, like an adult should handle things and so the adiministration wouldnt be cram with bureaucracy.

But now, in my 2nd formal warning ever, I got a 3 day suspension for an average incident (which I personaly consider average, since i dont even saved the replay of this specific race nor remeber whoever I hit and the incident itself) and the protester did not even had the decency to send me a pm clarifying things. It is his right, I know, but not the way we should handle things in a community.

A 3 day suspension for a rear hit and in a lagged formula server as the 2nd warning ever. How is this justice?

(12-05-2017, 02:24 AM)Russell Sobie Wrote:   It is quite likely that quite a few folks in any given race are seeing the current car/track combo for the FIRST TIME EVER. Being right on someone's tail who fits this description is very likely going to result in you plowing into them at the next semi-challenging corner. I pretty much assume that if someone in front of me does not have lap times in the top five on the server that they don't know a perfect line or a handle on brake points or corner exits, and I'll watch them closely before trying any sort of overtake. 

You can avoid hitting them by assuming they aren't a professional race car driver and then pretending that you are both driving vehicles worth well over your yearly salary.

It happend to me alot, people who doesnt know the track trying to dispute and endingup ramming me.. It is impossible to protest against every incident like this since there wouldnt be enough GB in my google drive to upload that many replays and no one would have that spare time. And yet I am the one being suspended in the 2nd warning when a lot of wreckless people get to be able to race just because we are more tolerant.

It seems these veredicts are harsher to who races more.
SURVIVING ROOKIES - Legendado PT-BR.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8LJcb-_LcUE

"If one does not fail at times, then one has not challenged himslef."
- Ferdinand Porsche
It takes me about 20 minutes post race to record enough clips from a replay to give the admins adequate information to give out suspensions or what have you. All it takes is autosaving replays, watching them right after a race (when you think there may be something to report), a properly set up installation of OBS, and a youtube account.

I don't protest every little thing either. I filter mostly on the following:

If they are obviously being a d-bag and do (or try to do) something unsportsman-like (ramming, bumping, retaliation contact, etc.), protest.
If they are trying to "win the race" by doing something boneheaded in the first couple of turns in a 20 minute plus race that causes one or more incidents, protest.
And a new one (based on a recent forum post about Ping), if they are blinking around the track due to a shoddy connection to the server and this results in taking someone (or multiple someones) out due to warping, protest.

I've also filed protests on others' behalf, since not everyone can turn around a protest video as fast as I can. In these cases it is a simple matter of "This didn't happen to me, but I don't want this person in races I'm in until they get their shit together."

I think the above is fair. I let everything else go. There are plenty of incidents I've encountered that upon review I figured was not worth protesting. I've also made newbie mistakes in races, and I make it a point to PM those involved to apologize. But if I do something really dumb and take someone out, I would hope that they would not tolerate it and file a protest.
(12-05-2017, 06:25 PM)Russell Sobie Wrote:  It takes me about 20 minutes post race to record enough clips from a replay to give the admins adequate information to give out suspensions or what have you. All it takes is autosaving replays, watching them right after a race (when you think there may be something to report)

I won't lie 20 minutes is a long time. Unless there is some very bad stuff going on. Driving backwards, Rage hitting people, etc. It takes a while to make a good correct protest. This isnt talking crap about SRS, Its how it is even on iRacing. Its taking 20 min or more of your time to do something you don't want to. Unless the person really deserves it like stated above. What i do is save the replay. If i get a few replays of this same person in different races causeing a bunch of accidents then ill just make one big protest. Gives them the benefit of the doubt also that it just wasn't an accident etc. 
Well, it takes like 5 minutes to me. Save the replay, find the moment on which I want to protest, record the video through Geforce experience on Twitch, get the link from twitch, put it to protest form, write a short text about an incident and that´s it
NEVER GIVE UP!
(12-12-2017, 09:59 AM)Marek Vons Wrote:  Well, it takes like 5 minutes to me. Save the replay, find the moment on which I want to protest, record the video through Geforce experience on Twitch, get the link from twitch, put it to protest form, write a short text about an incident and that´s it

It only takes me as long as it does because once I find the incident(s) in question and decide if it is worth recording, I then add subtitles indicating what the POV of a particular shot is, render that out, and then upload to youtube. If you can get it down to 5 minutes, all the better.

As far as "saving up a bunch of incidents" that doesn't really mesh with how the protest form works. They limit your protests to 48 hours after the race, and they expect a specific lap during the race. I suppose just listing the LAST incident as the straw that broke the camel's back would work in this case, of course.
Most of the time I remember when the incident happened. From the replay I see in which lap it was, I also see the driver, I am not adding the subtitles, because I dont think its needed, as I will put the text into protest form
NEVER GIVE UP!