Hello There, Guest! Register

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Ping restrictions
Just wondered whether the SRS servers have any way to restrict a Max ping for connecting drivers? Just from experience from racing on some online servers (non-SRS), quite regularly my ping time will be 30ish (for example) but then some other drivers are in the 400's! This can, at times, result in noticable glitching and cars dancing across the track.
Would be interested to know whether that's a feature (in AC and/or SRS servers), or could be implemented?

(09-16-2017, 03:04 PM)Ben Russell Wrote:  Just wondered whether the SRS servers have any way to restrict a Max ping for connecting drivers? Just from experience from racing on some online servers (non-SRS), quite regularly my ping time will be 30ish (for example) but then some other drivers are in the 400's! This can, at times, result in noticable glitching and cars dancing across the track.
Would be interested to know whether that's a feature (in AC and/or SRS servers), or could be implemented?

Thinking about it, is this a 'thing' in general, as someone did get kicked from a public online server for having over 400 ping the other day? If this is the case then does SRS or AC control this ping limit/restriction?
I wouldn't kick people because of his ping, in any case because of losing packets or having a poor internet connection, that are the causes of that glitches. 
I used to play LFS before Assetto and it was very common to play with Australian people. Ping was never a problem. I've heard the same for iRacing, so Assetto shouldn't be so different in this point.
Think that if you add some ping restrictions, Europeans wouldn't be able to play the American series, and that would mean less players on these series and the impossibility to play at any hour of the day.
http://www.racedepartment.com/downloads/...ide.17097/
NEVER GIVE UP!
I fully agree with David, if the network is responding with a low variance of ping (either the ping is high or low) then it is completely playable.

Problem occurs when the ping is allover the place then we start to have lag contacts and cars bouncing left to right (packets dropped, out of delay and so on). And this is particularly annoying.
For sure higher ping diminishes driver response time to what's happening on track but still if the delay is regular anyone can adapt to it.
Besides, how would you handle the points in championships? drivers kicked 0 points DNF ? having a poor internet connection or willing to race against drivers from far away countries would either exclude yourself from the community or result in a dramatic global ranking...
I play VR and few times the Oculus hanged (black screen impossible to reconnect in-game) I had to leave some races and the cost on your global ranking is huge, far more important than having 6/7 incidents and a poor standing in a race.
It happened to me to loose 2 points on my global ranking because of such disconnects... When you know what your results should be to gain 1 point...

So I would prefer that drivers act responsibly not trying to have hard door to door racing when their ping is too high or with to much variance, because in this case this is a mess.
Anyone can have a look at his/her ping...
It's not a network issue, it's a driver behavior issue IMO.
See you guys.
---------------------------------------------
Have you checked out my YouTube Channel ? [url=https://www.youtube.com/c/sebastienbrunier]https://www.youtube.com/c/sebastienbrunier[/url][url=https://www.youtube.com/c/sebastienbrunier][/url]
Well I am very dissapointed with SRS and its ping tolerances.

Today 6 out of 14 people registred to BMW235i race @brand hatch wih ping 250+!!!!! (other 8 people had ping under 50 !). I am sorry but you can not RACE with so many high pingers. Yesterday one of them ruined not only my race (and he finshed 3rd at the end - becouse of his lag others rather avoided close racing with him than to be knocked out by his lag). It is very sad that SRS doesn't want to restrict ping limit. There is a reason why you have asia, america, oceania, etc. servers on SRS. But no, people from those regions just MUST join servers that are 300+ ping to them. When racing on public servers I don't even consider joining if my ping is higher than 50. It is true that on SRS one can not see what the ping is until server starts up, but if you are from New Zealand you can not expect a ping under 300. And same goes for the europeans joing servers with 300+ ping. Just becouse SRS is free it doesn't mean it shouldn't have high standards.

@David Iglesias
"Europeans wouldn't be able to play the American series, and that would mean less players on these series and the impossibility to play at any hour of the day."

Well, I rather have less players on a server, then to have several 300+ pingers joining the server. Especialy ones that run only ONCE a day. It is called courtesy.
Tried multiple races this week and everytime whole server has pings of 200-300. In one race unfortunately the server was unavailable. This seems to happen only in SRS servers, as on all other server i have pings around 50ish.
that's because you were on our USA servers, it is impossible for you to have those pings on the Amsterdam server.
I am racing for some time now with Assetto Corsa.
High pings from competitors in a race normally are not producing issues with warping or dangerous car behavior - the AC netcode usually handles this issue quite well.

I had closest racing on many occasions on servers with people in their 300 ms ping times and never an issue appeared.

It is on occasion though that sometimes a single person with high ping times comparable to other similalry high ping users on a server causes warping and issues for others and the moment that specific person leaves the server the issues are solved.

It would be a great shame if technically for some times these issues appearing ALL people who have no other choice than running relatively high ping times would have to be kicked or banned from events.

SRS is after all an internationally operating platform and high pingtimes are inevitably part of that nature.

There already two very simple solution to such issues readily available:
- draft guidelines as other leagues are successfully using in regard of allowing for space when racing on a server with high ping users - driving unnecessaily close shall be avoided if not racing tight for position or immediate overtaking
- incidents caused by net issues shall be treated as such

- improve communications during events (TeamSpeak, Discord mandatory to be able to listen to racedirector / other users)
It always very easy to simple and politely call out if someone witnesses a user clearly warping or endangering other racers due to network issues - such users shall then proceed with caution and may leave the event at their own discretion after they have lapped sufficient laps to not suffer in their rating system.
Any incident clearly caused due to network issues by a person with connection issues who has been called out for warping shall be treated more seriously
“Calling out” someone simply because the user shows a higher ping is NOT a valid reason for a call out but actual problematic car behavior witnessed shall be (warping, jumping, etc hence endangering other users, potentially initiating collisions).

Look at the guidelines of the ACRL for example - network issues are well regulated and user behavior well outlined there.