Hello There, Guest! Register

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Longer races and people quitting before end
Thumbs Down 
First off: I think SRS is a great app and should be implemented in the original Assetto Corsa game.
But the users sometimes lack a little discipline.
I joined the 1 hour GT3 Euro Cup at Barcelona yesterday.
Server 1 (My buddy was placed on this server) started out 17 drivers I think, and we were 9 on server 2. It didn't take many laps before we were only 5 on server 2.
It quickly got a little boring racing alone and I could hear through my buddy's discord channel that they were down to 13 but still had a good race going .
After the race I saw in the standings, that even the quitters after only 5 minutes of racing still got points. The same amount as if they had finished the race in that position.
It ruined the race when so many quit.
9 drivers were very few for a 1 hour race to begin with, and I had hoped the two servers had been merged to one with 26 drivers. I see lots of online servers with 30+ drivers.
But why award people with points when they quit? You get a penalty for hitting others and a 2 day ban for not showing up on the server after signing in. Quitting the race should be penalized even harder.
If not I will also quit the race after a few laps if I get stuck on the boring server with only a few people racing.

That being said I prefer longer races whit mandatory pitstops. (But please select cars where tire choices make a difference. The Porsche 911 GT3 Cup 2017 could run on the same tire set all race and only the fuel could make a small difference. I like the tactical choice between soft, med or hard: Will I sacrifice speed for longer stints?)
True, true, +1

I already said before, that you only need 3 laps to score points for the race, that makes not sense at all... at all! You should have 90% of race done to get the points.

And about the porsche, my words.. a lot of people were asking for series with mandatory pitstop, okay, you SRS brought it, but with this car it makes no sense at all. Like Mads said, there are only hard tyres, which easily last all the race without any trouble, so you dont need to change them. And filling the car with 80 litres (what is enough for the whole race), doesnt change anything and you can still do almost the same lap times as in quali... so then, to do your mandatory pitstop, its enough to come to the pits for 1l of fuel and thats it... you will lose only the time, which you drive through the pitlane, because it takes like 0.5s to fill that 1l. And thats it... mandatory pitstop done.

There is an option in assetto corsa to put into the server config maximum fuel load. And as you cant put there any rule, that you have to change the tyres, you could at least apply this rule, about the maximum amount of fuel you can take. That would mean, that people (f.e. in this series with porsche) would have to take max. 50l of fuel and then they would have to stop for at least 30l of fuel to get to the finish. Also, car with more tyre options would make it a lot, a lot better than this one, because the mandatory pitstop here is just for nothing, not chaning a lot of things, and thats sad. Maybe, locking the setup in some series wouldnt be bad, too. Why not to try it next season? It would be bigger fun, because there wouldnt be a setup difference. I saw it in some leagues where I raced and it was a lot more interesting and a lot more fun.
NEVER GIVE UP!
HI guys,

I don't know exactly how real life races work, but I presumed that you only got points for finishing a race in a scoring position. So why do we give points to anyone who dose not finish the race.

Also I don't know how the incident scoring works, but would it encourage people to finish if all incidents were counted whether the race is completed or not but the total races count, used in the averaging of incidents / race, only counts completed races.
(09-03-2017, 07:38 PM)Marek Vons Wrote:  True, true, +1

Maybe, locking the setup in some series wouldnt be bad, too. Why not to try it next season? It would be bigger fun, because there wouldnt be a setup difference. I saw it in some leagues where I raced and it was a lot more interesting and a lot more fun.

Good idea, it would be nice to have a serie with closed setup.
(09-04-2017, 07:45 AM)Tim Cullingworth Wrote:  HI guys,

I don't know exactly how real life races work, but I presumed that you only got  points for finishing a race in a scoring position.  So why do we give points to anyone who dose not finish the race.

Also I don't know how the incident scoring works, but would it encourage people to finish if all incidents were counted whether the race is completed or not but the total races count, used in the averaging of incidents / race, only counts completed races.

I agree with the locked/fixed setup-makes it more enjoyable for people who do not have time to spend on building a setup for multiple cars a week, I have raced in many fixed setup leagues and the competition is much better with a better turn out of drivers for the races.
(09-04-2017, 02:18 PM)Chris Melton Wrote:  
(09-04-2017, 07:45 AM)Tim Cullingworth Wrote:  HI guys,

I don't know exactly how real life races work, but I presumed that you only got  points for finishing a race in a scoring position.  So why do we give points to anyone who dose not finish the race.

I agree with the locked/fixed setup-makes it more enjoyable for people who do not have time to spend on building a setup for multiple cars a week, I have raced in many fixed setup leagues and the competition is much better with a better turn out of drivers for the races.
Setups are to get that last second or so, maybe less depending on track.  So if you're more than 1 second behind the leaders it's not the setup.  I'm not opposed to some fixed setup races but I see this misconception that setups are the reason people are winning/losing when in reality they're 3-5 seconds off pace and have terrible consistency.