Hello There, Guest! Register

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Just some honest feedback of my feelings
I want to preface this with some positivity first.  I love SRS.  I haven't raced a lot here, but I've done several races and each time I'm left nothing short of impressed at the speed, but importantly, the cleanliness of the racing here.  The way everyone here takes racing clean so seriously, but is also capable of doing so while going seconds faster than me on any given track is honestly a massive feeling.  Awe, perhaps even.  Mad respect to the racing community here.
That said, I haven't been racing here a lot and this post is going to entail why.  I've been playing over on some recent competition (not going to name it) to this group. But being honest, I'd rather be racing against the people here.  The quality and skill level of the people on this other competing service is measurably lower, and the service itself is much younger and much less organized and the racing as a result is generally much less satisfying than it is here on SRS.  So why am I playing there?  Well that's where I'm going to criticize SRS.
Now definitely take this as opinion, preference, and personal taste.  This is just how I want things to be organized, it's not a claim to objective improvement or superiority.  That being said, it all comes down to the scheduling.  SRS's schedule isn't conducive to the way I want to race.  Me and my friend tend to get together and bang out 2-4 hours of racing depending on the day or situation.  So to do this on SRS, we have to jump between 3+ cars and 3+ tracks.  Due to the nature of us not knowing all the tracks, and us being probably at best somewhere in the lower middle range of the skill level here, we don't want to jump between cars and tracks.  We want to focus on preferably one car, and preferably one track.  We want to just back to back race the same car on the same track so that we can improve on the car and the track, rather than get one shot at a race a day and then have to wait 3-4 hours at a minimum before we can get back into that car on that track.  And again, I want to emphasize, I'm just expressing my desires here.  There's obviously no obligation for SRS to fulfill my desires over anyone else's.
So here's my proposed solution:
Every week there would be a Miata or equally powered series (I like the underpowered racing, and H-shifting makes things all the more fun, but I would be willing to rotate other cars in).  There would be a 25-30 minute race every hour.  With 10 min qualifying and 30 min race you could get done and have a few minutes before the next one if you want.  The finer details I'm less concerned with, just so long as I can race the same car on the same track back to back a few times is what I'm after.
But yeah, this is just an honest expression of where I'm at and how things could improve for me specifically.  Not to say the way things are done now isn't good or doesn't work, just that it doesn't work as well for me personally.  I'd really like to race here more rather than anywhere else, but the schedule just doesn't agree with me.
The main problem is lack of active drivers here on SRS. Last year was an exception, but this year has considerably fewer participants. For the most part, the more advanced drivers tend to stick around, whereas the rookies do a few races, then never come back. Some of the drivers here are truly out of this world Smile
I do agree that it would be great to have more time slots for every series. But the downside could be fewer drivers per race, as the participants would be spread out over several sessions.
Maybe get rid of some of the series, and focus on fewer. But again, that might further reduce numbers, if some people have specific preferences.
At the end, it's just that there aren't enough drivers to sufficiently fill all the races (especially certain time slots).
All suggestions are welcome though, as SRS does need to address various issues.
Hope to see you on the track! cheers
"The main problem is lack of active drivers here on SRS. Last year was an exception, but this year has considerably fewer participants. For the most part, the more advanced drivers tend to stick around, whereas the rookies do a few races, then never come back. Some of the drivers here are truly out of this world"

Well, as a rookie who really wants to race here more than where I am currently racing (a place full of people who can't keep it on the track and have no idea that racecraft is even a word), it really is the schedule that keeps me returning to the other place (which is worse in every single way minus the available races).

"I do agree that it would be great to have more time slots for every series. But the downside could be fewer drivers per race, as the participants would be spread out over several sessions."

I agree completely. Frankly, I think SRS has too many series going on at once. There might be more series every day than there are racers. Maybe trimming the schedule down to only 3-4 cars on 3-4 tracks, but having those races just run back to back to back would be better? Like a week or two ago me and my friend were fed up with the other service we were using and came back here, but we could only end up doing 1 Miata race a day, because after we did the one scheduled at 2PM, the next one wasn't until 6 and that was too late for him.

The solution for me (specifically me and not necessarily other people) would be less variety, but more consistent races so we can just do back to back. Being able to do more than 1 Miata race per 4 hours would probably bring me back. Definitely so if there was a Miata race every hour.
The rookies leave beacause the full grids are anor a format that is friendly for rookies, as they race against much faster people and its not fun to do laps alone and gatting lapped.

If the grids were smaller, the skill level would be more balanced, like a Iracing in a small scale.

In irancing the skill level is more balanced, so even a rookie fight for top positions. They have so many people that they can have full grids. With less people, grids should be smaller. Grids of 23 with only one split will put alien and rookie in the same split. For what? Thats fun for who? If rookies dont have fun, they will leave.

World sim series is diying already for the same reason.

You have the same faces, the alies, and the rest of the grids are filled with new blood that leave after a few boring races. And theres a certain amount of rookies in the world.
I don't know about you, but I rarely find myself into a position where I can fight for a podium, I am a slow driver. And I have to say, I enjoy the races nonentheless.

The problem is not racing against aliens, you can have the same fun racing for a 10th position than racing for the victory, the problem is that you need people of your same skill to have fun. If you race against 20 people, and and there are 10 players of the same level, you'll have fun, even when the remainer 10 are faster than you, and even if 3-4 of these are aliens. SRS is dying because of the lack of players, very often I find myself joining a race and not even bothering starting it because only 2-3 people have joined. People is moving into other games, pretty much anyone interested in racing GT3/GT4 cars has moved to competizione, with good reason, and there are many platforms out there for that game. Assetto Corsa is a really nice game, but it is almost 8 years old, and altough it is still one of the most popular games, there are so many disciplines and options that the whole community is very divided when it comes to multiplayer races.

Personally, I am only interested in playing Assetto Corsa for racing open wheelers, and I keep coming to SRS only for that kind of races. I do like driving GT3 cars, but I am no interested in 20min races with fixed weather, we have much better alternatives now. I think they have done the right thing reducing the number of series, hopefully that will help introducing new players, because as of today, new players do not tend to choose an 8 years-old game in which you have to install quite a fair amount of mods in order to get the maximum out of it.
Assetto Corsa still have almost the triple of players at a random time that Competizione have.

People move to Competizione but still, simgrid is already dying too. What's the similar situation to simracingsystem? Huge grids, pushing rookies away.

Lowfuel is new and doing the same thing. Let's see how long it will last. Systems working only for the aliens end up being populated by the alien. And there's only a few ones.
I appreciate the feedbacks here, but being honest, I don't mind being slower than everyone.  I don't mind a bit.  In fact, I prefer it.  The racing here is clean and I can learn a lot.  I'm perfectly happy with being a backmarker here, and I consider staying with the pack to be a victory.  I would honestly rather race here where I'm a backmarker than this other place that I race where I'm frequently top 3 and very commonly top 10.
I'm sure there are rookies who leave because they can't keep up.  But, at the risk of sounding selfish, me struggling to keep up is actually a positive for me.  I like it.  It gives me a high bar to aim for.  What my problem is is that if me and my friend decide we want to race Miata's today, we have a total of 2 races over the course of 5 hours that either of us could realistically make.  Likewise, we wanted to try the Caterhams this week for something fun.  But there's only ONE race of them a day, and it's at a really inconvenient hour for me.
The SRS schedule has no room for a pair of racers who have 2-3 hours in the day to get some racing in.  We could go where we currently go and have a Miata race every 30 minutes for a total of up to 6 races, back to back.  OR we could come here and race a maximum of 2 races, but realistically probably 1 race a day.  The choice is obvious to us, even though we frequently wish we could be back here on SRS with the clean, good racers.
Hey guys, new member here. I found the regestration process took so long and even ended up having to supply ID via email... I totally understand the reasoning and it didn't bother me that much as I had other things to do while waiting but still... I can see this being a very high barrier for entry, somewhat too high imho.